Livingston vs Motherwell

GazzyB

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

It says more about the standard at the back. I thought Lamie got way too much stick but he’s still just a bog standard Premiership/higher level Championship player for me. I’d rather bring back the bold Declan simply because I think he’s better than what we have now and even that would not be popular.

There as much chance of Gallagher return than me signing. He left a bad taste in the mouth  when he left so quite happy to see his career go nowhere at Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Just my view.  I think he is our best centre half at the moment. Ojala seems injury prone and Sol has looked ropey  at times, big bevis has his moments.  Judging by responses I seem to be in minority but hey ho all about opinions which I respect....COYW

Definitely best defender on form currently, it’s not a high bar. I don’t fancy him & McGinley being our left side as a long term option.

I’m hearing you on the other two, suspect it’s how we’ve managed to attract Ojala’s pedigree

• Thanks 1

I agree Lamie has been our best defensive performer recently. I was one of his defenders (no pun intended) in his early days because we were playing him in all kinds of weird positions - including left mid at one point. He's obviously an effective central defender. Not outstanding, but solid enough.

Part of that effectiveness is finding a partner, and we've struggled to field the same duo in consecutive games most weeks. A settled defensive unit is a key platform in any team's success and we're not there yet.

Sol reminds me a bit of McManus. Has the talent, but prone to lapses in concentration a couple of times a game.

Bevis is a bit like Hartley. Keep the passes short and simple, and he does fine. But you've got to love it when he's on the move up the wing and he seems like a top bloke.

I'd be absolutely delighted if we could keep Lamie, he was rank on Saturday but so was the rest of the team. I think he's an excellent player for this level.

The Ojala one is so strange. Came in, had a few great games, got injured and came back slower than a funeral and can't get a game. Maybe after a break and a decent pre-season we might get something out of him.

I feel for Lamie - I don't think he's been treated well.

First season initially played out of positon as a left back.
This season came in, played well and was dropped like a stone for months (a bit like Slattery) 
He's proven to be our best left sided centre half - has his flaws like all Motherwell players. 

Don't blame him for wanting to leave and work with a mgr who rates and wanted him.

This is an area I feel GA needs to improve - dropping players for months at a time with no real reason has to stop. 

Be interesting to see if Dundee get relegated if he decides to stay with us. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I agree Lamie has been our best defensive performer recently. I was one of his defenders (no pun intended) in his early days because we were playing him in all kinds of weird positions - including left mid at one point. He's obviously an effective central defender. Not outstanding, but solid enough.

Part of that effectiveness is finding a partner, and we've struggled to field the same duo in consecutive games most weeks. A settled defensive unit is a key platform in any team's success and we're not there yet.

Sol reminds me a bit of McManus. Has the talent, but prone to lapses in concentration a couple of times a game.

Bevis is a bit like Hartley. Keep the passes short and simple, and he does fine. But you've got to love it when he's on the move up the wing and he seems like a top bloke.

Aye all our centre backs have their own issues. One of our problems is not finding a partnership that let's ones strengths hide the others weakness. Admittedly hard to do with Ojala since his issue is he's permanently injured. 

Lambie is an ok centre for our level and i'd be happy for him to stay, agree he was badly managed last year by Robinson, he's never is a left back.  I'd rate Mugabi above him this season, and he has done ok at full back where as Lambie was a nightmare.

I'd have Mugabi and Lambie as our starters this year. Solholm is average, Ojala is made of chocolate, but was looking class when he signed probably at the end of his career now.

Defo need new full backs none are good enough

7 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

But, you want improvement? He only made it out the Livingston strikers back pocket just in time on Saturday. Bullied

correct    the big ex arbroath striker with 6 months championship experience rag dolled our back 4  and never broke sweat

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

correct    the big ex arbroath striker with 6 months championship experience rag dolled our back 4  and never broke sweat

Yep I agree with you. He was a big boy and I felt we needed mugabi to be up against him but we had no one to go to right back

I felt sol and lamie tried to compete physically with him when he was 3 or 3 inches bigger and at least a stone heavier with gd feet. They haven't faced someone like him before in league so I'd hope if facing him next season they have learned that maybe just don't compete but try and nick it off him.

He wasn't only one that livi players got better off easily.  Forrest and Bailey were running riot wide and inside forward area and holt pitman and kelly were dominating our midfield easily giving them a lesson.  Ohara came on at half time and helped that by getting closer to holt.

All in I'd keep lamie if possible he's gd enough for 1st team and I believe he's a gd pro although yes I'd like better but other than mcmanus/kipre over last number of years I'm struggling to think of others who were miles better. 

9 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Yep I agree with you. He was a big boy and I felt we needed mugabi to be up against him but we had no one to go to right back

I felt sol and lamie tried to compete physically with him when he was 3 or 3 inches bigger and at least a stone heavier with gd feet. They haven't faced someone like him before in league so I'd hope if facing him next season they have learned that maybe just don't compete but try and nick it off him.

He wasn't only one that livi players got better off easily.  Forrest and Bailey were running riot wide and inside forward area and holt pitman and kelly were dominating our midfield easily giving them a lesson.  Ohara came on at half time and helped that by getting closer to holt.

All in I'd keep lamie if possible he's gd enough for 1st team and I believe he's a gd pro although yes I'd like better but other than mcmanus/kipre over last number of years I'm struggling to think of others who were miles better. 

I think this is the weakest back line we’ve had in my few years watching the club, the likes of Aldred, Hartley, Dunn, Kipre and even Gallagher were shall I put it way more organised and showed leadership. There are no leaders in the defence and they’re all over the place with periods of playing well followed by total disorganisation.

I think this is the weakest back line we’ve had in my few years watching the club, the likes of Aldred, Hartley, Dunn, Kipre and even Gallagher were shall I put it way more organised and showed leadership. There are no leaders in the defence and they’re all over the place with periods of playing well followed by total disorganisation.

Yes gallagher definitely I must have wiped him from my mind somehow. He was great 1st year. The rest that you quote I'd say very similar with pros and cons similar to lamie.

In regards replacements who I can think of at spfl level is  devlin at Aberdeen is released and he was in Scotland squad not that long ago. Iacovitti at County looks good anytime against us. The livi 2 at back again not bad. I think st johnstones Gordon and mcart are looking  for better than us maybe.

I thought last year the likes of Charlie mulgrew would have been brilliant and someone like him been down in England and played at top level wanting back home is what I'd want but can't think of anyone off top of my head the now

We are extremely fortunate to have Kelly otherwise we’d be fighting it out with Dundee and St Johnstone this season. 
I’m dismayed by Alexander in general but for a guy who’s had a long career as a defender his inability to recognise a decent defender(or play them in the correct position) is outstanding. We have players there, I personally think odonnell mugabi and even Carroll are ok but they’ve been shifted about all season and they look lost half the time, that lies at the feet of GA. 
ojala is awful, don’t care what anyone says and the love for Sol is beyond me? As much as he seems a lovely bloke he’s a good level amateur player at best. If he was Scottish he’d be destroyed by our fans every week.

we’ve got the top six and have an outside chance of europe which is incredible. Hopefully we can show some fight in the final games and nudge ahead of united and county which is possible if that idiot puts the right team out. Onwards we go on the rollercoaster 

30 minutes ago, mio said:

We are extremely fortunate to have Kelly otherwise we’d be fighting it out with Dundee and St Johnstone this season. 
I’m dismayed by Alexander in general but for a guy who’s had a long career as a defender his inability to recognise a decent defender(or play them in the correct position) is outstanding. We have players there, I personally think odonnell mugabi and even Carroll are ok but they’ve been shifted about all season and they look lost half the time, that lies at the feet of GA. 
ojala is awful, don’t care what anyone says and the love for Sol is beyond me? As much as he seems a lovely bloke he’s a good level amateur player at best. If he was Scottish he’d be destroyed by our fans every week.

we’ve got the top six and have an outside chance of europe which is incredible. Hopefully we can show some fight in the final games and nudge ahead of united and county which is possible if that idiot puts the right team out. Onwards we go on the rollercoaster 

don't know how you can say carrol is ok...costs us a goal every game and heartless...surely ga must see this especially as an ex international full back himself. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Yes gallagher definitely I must have wiped him from my mind somehow. He was great 1st year. The rest that you quote I'd say very similar with pros and cons similar to lamie.

In regards replacements who I can think of at spfl level is  devlin at Aberdeen is released and he was in Scotland squad not that long ago. Iacovitti at County looks good anytime against us. The livi 2 at back again not bad. I think st johnstones Gordon and mcart are looking  for better than us maybe.

I thought last year the likes of Charlie mulgrew would have been brilliant and someone like him been down in England and played at top level wanting back home is what I'd want but can't think of anyone off top of my head the now

never been that impressed with devlin and if he is struggling to get in Aberdeen defence?? what about considine?

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

never been that impressed with devlin and if he is struggling to get in Aberdeen defence?? what about considine?

When I first saw Considine released I thought yes definitely but then saw he's 35 and he's been out all year which put me off a bit.  Might come back and give a gd couple of years to someone or even more . He's certainly better than Lamie .

Need to remember we have two defenders coming back in Max Johnstone and Darragh O’Connor surely these guys must be given a chance, been getting good reviews from the championship, I know it’s a league below but let’s face it we are not that far apart

That devlin is as injury prone as they come,he's definitely one to avoid.our defence does need a bit of work in the summer,especially at full back,constantly going between odonnell and mugabi and carroll and mcginley just isn't good enough,we need two full backs to come in and be first choice and actually improve us in those positions.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

In Sol's defence (sorry for the pun) he's played a lot of football in the past year and probably needs a rest. Ojala is verry injury prone which is why we could attract his signature. 

I hope Sol doesn't catch coronavirus as that headline would have me choking for a beer!! Ba boom

8 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

The difference being that those players you list were nearly always  played in their natural positions. That cannot be said of Lamie and Mugabi under Alexander. So it is not a valid comparison although I do accept that at times those players looked more secure.

9 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Need to remember we have two defenders coming back in Max Johnstone and Darragh O’Connor surely these guys must be given a chance, been getting good reviews from the championship, I know it’s a league below but let’s face it we are not that far apart

Let’s see if O’Connor gets offered a new contract?

9 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

don't know how you can say carrol is ok...costs us a goal every game and heartless...surely ga must see this especially as an ex international full back himself. 

I thought Carroll was better than McGinley but since he got his starting place back I have to say I have been very disappointed. Offering zero going forward and continually caught out of position or on wrong side of attacker. Only the one showing but I’d go with O’Donnell at left back for the remaining games. Not ideal but at the  moment I’d say best option for back four is Mugabi Sol Lamie O’Donnell. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I thought Carroll was better than McGinley but since he got his starting place back I have to say I have been very disappointed. Offering zero going forward and continually caught out of position or on wrong side of attacker. Only the one showing but I’d go with O’Donnell at left back for the remaining games. Not ideal but at the  moment I’d say best option for back four is Mugabi Sol Lamie O’Donnell. 

Rumours that O’Donnell is likely to be out injured until pre-season