Post Split Fixtures

coldonmac

On 4/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, steelboy said:

KVV will be back from suspension for Ross County and Hearts which is decent as they are the most winnable fixtures. Alexander better get his thinking cap on for a forward line for Tannadice. 

edited on trophy day? I think I will pass.

Could do with wrapping any child abuse patter, it's pretty shite to victims and their family.

But aye, missing Van Veen for Tannadice is a blow.  As is no home games at 3pm on a Saturday. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Spfl site just posted up fixtures!

Rangers H

Utd A

County A

Hearts H

Celtic A

Not Good

Not good but I think we were pretty fortunate with the regular season fixtures.

Surely we aren't going to lose three times to Dundee Utd away from home?

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

Could do with wrapping any child abuse patter, it's pretty shite to victims and their family.

But aye, missing Van Veen for Tannadice is a blow.  As is no home games at 3pm on a Saturday. 

It’s steelboy, nothing surprises me anymore.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, steelboy said:

KVV will be back from suspension for Ross County and Hearts which is decent as they are the most winnable fixtures. Alexander better get his thinking cap on for a forward line for Tannadice. 

edited on trophy day? I think I will pass.

am i not right in thinking KVV didnt play the last game at Ibrox

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

They have to predict who will finish top 6 before the season starts to try and schedule the last 5 fixtures to balance home and away, plus take into account previous home and away balance.

I think Hibs and Aberdeen really shafted them with that, which is why we end up at Tannadice again.

I don't think they try and predict who will finish where (probably too difficult for their tiny minds), they just assume that the top six will be the same as last year and the team(s) which are promoted will be bottom six.

31 minutes ago, grumpy said:

I don't think they try and predict who will finish where (probably too difficult for their tiny minds), they just assume that the top six will be the same as last year and the team(s) which are promoted will be bottom six.

That's probably what they actually do. The official line I've heard from the SPFL, however, is that they do try and predict top 6 before every season and how that complicates things.

Right enough, it's usually when they are a week late with the post-split fixtures and looking for an excuse.

Some interesting choices for the post split fixtures, especially with KVV out for the first 2 games. Lately been a lot of posts harping on getting a settled team selection, formation and style (me included) but with opposition and KVV missing to start with is this a time where we mix and match or so we stick with 4-3-3 and just try to replace like with like? With KVV out and defensive worries would we change to a 3-5-2 or go 4-4-2? Would we keep same line up/tactics v Rangers and Utd?  Tierney, O’Hara and Woolery all made a difference when they came in at Livi. Do any of them start? How do we approach the rangers game? High press? Attack them? Park the bus?  Try to play football? Resort to howf and chase?  Lots of things for Alexander to consider. 

With van Veen out, Id like to see us play 4-2-3-1.

Off course GA doesnt like to play through midfield so it wont happen, but with SOD and McGinley both out injured Id go with this.....

Kelly

Mugabi Sol Lamie Carroll

Slattery  Donnelly

Woolery Tierney Efford

Shields

Cornelius / OHara could be interchangeable with Donnelly and Roberts maybe for Efford.

53 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

With van Veen out, Id like to see us play 4-2-3-1.

Off course GA doesnt like to play through midfield so it wont happen, but with SOD and McGinley both out injured Id go with this.....

To be fair to GA, he started off his Motherwell career by trying to play out short from the back and quickly discovered we didn't have players capable of doing that. It was only after that he started going longer - arguably too long, but I'm not sure whether that's preference or realism.

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

To be fair to GA, he started off his Motherwell career by trying to play out short from the back and quickly discovered we didn't have players capable of doing that. It was only after that he started going longer - arguably too long, but I'm not sure whether that's preference or realism.

I dont think it needs to either or. Somewhere in between would be nice!

34 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont think it needs to either or. Somewhere in between would be nice!

Completely agree!

I remember an interview he gave early on about the adjustments he had to make after his early experiments. Basically giving up the short passing from our box and letting Kelly play it longer. I think he ended up being over reliant on Kelly's long ball in a number of games when we could be playing more through Slattery, Goss, Maguire or whoever.

• Like 1