Europe next Season

Andy H

8 hours ago, mfc said:

I can't stand either side of the old firm,I've always found them to have some weird obsession with us over the years,I take great pleasure in them hating us.as for moving the rangers game,we should tell them to fuck off then take points off them and ending any slim chance they have of the title and kick them off the park in the process just before there european game.both sides have sucked the life out of the game here since the beginning of time,they should be getting no favours when it's needed.

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed an obsession of us from either of them. The other way around, most definitely, but we are not unique in that regard.

There have been periods where there has been a bit more needle between us and one of them, for example Skippy Sunday with Celtic and the whole episode of John Boyle asking us to give the Cooper Stand to them just before that game, there was definitely a bit more raised tension between the clubs at that time. The same with Rangers and the playoffs and the LCSF where Ryan Bowman broke one of their players noses and they got quite upset about it for a while.

Apart from that I’ve never noticed much in the way of an obsession with us from either of them.

1 hour ago, eddiemunster said:

I hope we don't get into Europe because we are fucking garbage.

Sadly I think you will get your wish. 

Of course were we to get into Europe and a couple or few games, it might help to give us additional the revenue to help the squad be a little less garbage next season. Just a thought…..

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Sadly I think you will get your wish. 

Of course were we to get into Europe and a couple or few games, it might help to give us additional the revenue to help the squad be a little less garbage next season. Just a thought…..

I'd rather a proper preseason and give ourselves a reasonable chance of a positive start, instead of traveling to the arse end of nowhere to get beaten by absolute shite 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, eddiemunster said:

I'd rather a proper preseason and give ourselves a reasonable chance of a positive start, instead of traveling to the arse end of nowhere to get beaten by absolute shite 

A proper pre-season now consists of starting in July and getting beat of the likes of Airdrie in the League Cup. Im not sure I see the difference?

10 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

Yes lets play Airdrie and Queens Park thats a proper pre-season.  Iwas 36 years old before we qualified for europe and every time in europe is to be coveted in my book.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Yes lets play Airdrie and Queens Park thats a proper pre-season.  Iwas 36 years old before we qualified for europe and every time in europe is to be coveted in my book.

Absolutely spot on. I am around the same age as yourself and I never thought I would see us win a cup and play in Europe.  So the more the merrier in my opinion.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Not to mention that we made something like £750,000 from a recent European run, did we not?

I quite like the League Cup Group Stages as a ‘pre-season’. Obviously it helps matters when we actually take it seriously and not half arse it against our local rivals like we did last year but it’s usually a good start to the season and has some meaning to it.

If I’m being honest I’m not overly fussed about us playing in Europe as all it amounts to is two, maybe four games at the start of a season and a seeded spot in the LC16 draw which inevitably lands us the most difficult draw we could get against another top flight side.

However obviously for the club playing European football is massive.

I have to admit, I'm quite surprised at the amount of posters here who'd rather we were playing some early League Cup games against lower league opposition than actually playing in Europe. I always thought the idea of getting into the top six was to push for the European places? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, David said:

I have to admit, I'm quite surprised at the amount of posters here who'd rather we were playing some early League Cup games against lower league opposition than actually playing in Europe. I always thought the idea of getting into the top six was to push for the European places? 

I think perhaps a lot of the excitement of Europe was sullied for a lot of fans with our dismal showings under McCall ten years ago. After we’d done all the hard work getting there we whimpered out every time without having anything to shout about. Obviously there was a bit of novelty with the Panathinaikos tie in the Champions League and obviously they were a reasonably big name in football, but the games themselves were a bit of a non event. The same goes for the Europa ties against Levante in 2012 and Kuban in 2013 where we failed to score a goal and didn’t even look like we believed that we could do anything. And then of course there was the debacle that was the Stjarnan tie in 2014. Say no more.

I can’t speak for anyone else of course but that’s certainly how I see it. I can honestly count on one hand the number of European matches at Fir Park that I have actually enjoyed. Perhaps the wee run in 2010 under Craig Brown and the run in 2009, albeit that was played at Airdrie.

The truth is though that most teams exit Europe with nothing to shout about. We're never going to really do much, and the best we can hope for is a decent draw against a well-known side to add a bit of a novelty factor. 

It's a chance to dust the passports off, and the fans to create memories during the trips that they'll remember for years. The actual progress of the team is secondary in all honesty. 

One thing I will say though. I'd certainly rather we were earning €500,000 for beating Glentoran & Coleraine than pissing about against Queens Park or Annan.

7 minutes ago, David said:

The truth is though that most teams exit Europe with nothing to shout about. We're never going to really do much, and the best we can hope for is a decent draw against a well-known side to add a bit of a novelty factor. 

It's a chance to dust the passports off, and the fans to create memories during the trips that they'll remember for years. The actual progress of the team is secondary in all honesty. 

One thing I will say though. I'd certainly rather we were earning €500,000 for beating Glentoran & Coleraine than pissing about against Queens Park or Annan.

Obviously we are not going to go all the way in Europe, but by ‘something to shout about’ I was more meaning just scoring a goal instead of three consecutive 0-2 home losses where we never laid a glove on the opposition or utterly embarrassing ourselves against part time Icelandic outfits. Did anyone really enjoy any of those games? Fair enough it’s different if we get a glamour tie like Dortmund or are beating teams 8-1 or taking the lead against Steaua Bucharest but those ties under McCall were awful.

I've watched Motherwell home and away in the champions league, Europa league, UEFA Cup, Cup winners Cup and loved every minute of it, would I swap that for watching us play shite like Queens Park, or Annan no chance, some of the best memories I've had as a Motherwell fan have been on those away trips. So it's European football every time for me, plus we've not played in the Europa conference league before so we need to complete the set.

Clubs like St Mirren,  Dundee, Ross county etc would love our European record so long may it continue.

• Like 1

And I’d swap any of our recent European ‘adventures’ for St.Mirren and Ross County’s League Cup wins. 

I’ve said this before, to be able to properly enjoy Europe for us and clubs like us you need to be able to afford to travel to the away legs, especially if it’s a tie worth travelling to, ie. Dortmund. And then it’s more about the jolly abroad with your mates than the football itself if we’re honest. And that’s not a criticism of anyone btw, if that’s part of the football ‘experience’ for you then great.

Me personally? I’d settle for winning a Cup match and celebrating with a few pints down the Electric with my usual crew afterwards rather than the ‘European tour’.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

I think perhaps a lot of the excitement of Europe was sullied for a lot of fans with our dismal showings under McCall ten years ago. After we’d done all the hard work getting there we whimpered out every time without having anything to shout about. Obviously there was a bit of novelty with the Panathinaikos tie in the Champions League and obviously they were a reasonably big name in football, but the games themselves were a bit of a non event. The same goes for the Europa ties against Levante in 2012 and Kuban in 2013 where we failed to score a goal and didn’t even look like we believed that we could do anything. And then of course there was the debacle that was the Stjarnan tie in 2014. Say no more.

I can’t speak for anyone else of course but that’s certainly how I see it. I can honestly count on one hand the number of European matches at Fir Park that I have actually enjoyed. Perhaps the wee run in 2010 under Craig Brown and the run in 2009, albeit that was played at Airdrie.

Personally, I think all those things are unimportant when we play a competitive tie with Borussia Dortmund. Then you get to see what playing at that level, fouling at that level, and bending the rules at that level, are all about. And I saw it with my son and my late brother at Fir Park.

37 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Personally, I think all those things are unimportant when we play a competitive tie with Borussia Dortmund. Then you get to see what playing at that level, fouling at that level, and bending the rules at that level, are all about. And I saw it with my son and my late brother at Fir Park.

Yeah I get that and as I said ties against big European names like Borussia Dortmund are that bit more special than one against a virtually unheard of side like Kuban Krasnador. Dortmund was a glimpse into a level way beyond our reach and you could see that with the gulf not just in quality but how much more ‘streetwise’ they were on how to play the game at that level.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I've watched Motherwell home and away in the champions league, Europa league, UEFA Cup, Cup winners Cup and loved every minute of it, would I swap that for watching us play shite like Queens Park, or Annan no chance, some of the best memories I've had as a Motherwell fan have been on those away trips. So it's European football every time for me, plus we've not played in the Europa conference league before so we need to complete the set.

Clubs like St Mirren,  Dundee, Ross county etc would love our European record so long may it continue.

Seconded Allan.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:50 PM, eddiemunster said:

I hope we don't get into Europe because we are fucking garbage.

I couldnt care less if I never saw Motherwell in Europe ever again. I find European football especially the diddy team participation utterly boring and devoid of any excitement. We've played something like 35 games in European tournaments and Id struggle to name more than 4 games that provided any real excitement or results going against expectations. However I accept it generates money and some of our supporters love it so it aint for me to piss on their parade.

6 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

And I’d swap any of our recent European ‘adventures’ for St.Mirren and Ross County’s League Cup wins. 

I’ve said this before, to be able to properly enjoy Europe for us and clubs like us you need to be able to afford to travel to the away legs, especially if it’s a tie worth travelling to, ie. Dortmund. And then it’s more about the jolly abroad with your mates than the football itself if we’re honest. And that’s not a criticism of anyone btw, if that’s part of the football ‘experience’ for you then great.

Me personally? I’d settle for winning a Cup match and celebrating with a few pints down the Electric with my usual crew afterwards rather than the ‘European tour’.

Me too I'd take any domestic trophy ahead of years of boring European predictability.

I find folk that follow Motherwell that would rather we didn't compete in Europe baffling.  Surely you want to test yourself against anyone regardless of calibre? I find the more obscure the team the more fun tbh. Obviously a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro would be fantastic but we need to at least try and beat the teams before that becomes a possibility. This negative attitude towards our team based on past efforts helps nobody but I guess some people just love to moan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I find folk that follow Motherwell that would rather we didn't compete in Europe baffling.  Surely you want to test yourself against anyone regardless of calibre? I find the more obscure the team the more fun tbh. Obviously a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro would be fantastic but we need to at least try and beat the teams before that becomes a possibility. This negative attitude towards our team based on past efforts helps nobody but I guess some people just love to moan.

Me too! I have visited countries I would never have gone to otherwise had it not been for following Motherwell in Europe. I have some great memories which will live with me forever, especially our game in Nancy which was a wonderful experience. Being part of some 3,000 Motherwell Supporters was something I will never forget.