Motherwell v Rangers 24/4/22

Spiderpig

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It was a penalty. Mugabi caught him before the ball. We’re a million miles away from where we need to be next season, shambles of a second half.

Agreed,the second half has been shocking,to concede so early has set the tone.we seem to have real problems playing against 10 men.

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m off, seen enough for today. Alexander has a lot of work to do.

For me, the hard work would be clearing his desk and taking a long long walk. Get someone in who knows how to set up a team. We are shapeless and clueless every game. The second half today was a disgrace. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

We’ve made this second half unbelievably easy for Rangers. As soon as Alexander said the players had been given a few days off I feared this type of half-arsed performance. 

It has been a half arsed performance every game not just today against Rangers Reserves.

2 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

And take Alexander as well 

He must have the best league record against Rangers for Motherwell managers in the past 20 years or so.

Even so, I wasn't expecting anything from this game, and didn't even bother getting up early to watch the first half.

We were poor to a man.

We pressed well for a bit, but it wasn't for anything because we were so bad on the ball. Our first touch was woeful, especially up front. Efford was the worst culprit in that regard, frequently giving the ball back to them.

To lose that second goal so easily after the restart summed us up. We may have shown spirit this season by coming back so often, but that's usually because we've handed the opposition a soft goal. Carroll seems to have a habit of turning his back to shots. Don't know if that's a normal thing. I do that, but I'm not a professional defender.

The penalty just wasn't. Embarrassing that the ref struck a pose, had a think, then realized it was his chance to even up the red card.

Tierney, shields and Cornelius should get maximum minutes for the next four games to get them ready for next season. However, I'm concerned that the latter might just be a yard to slow for the role he has.

Overall, we need to be less scared of the ball.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Worst performance of the season for me in the second half,  no heart or fight from any one in that team, looked like we were the side with ten men, second half tactics all wrong, should have went to back three and flooded midfield, Alexander must take the blame for this, too many players hiding today.

Can’t see us taking another point for the rest of the season, players should be embarrassed turning in that performance, for me manager has to go and take the majority of this team with him.

Only positive is we can’t go down, but it’s going to be a horrible two years if he stays.

• Like 1

First half was decent enough but the second half was our biggest problem this season - not being able to defend.

Losing a goal within 2 minutes of the restart against 10 men that should have been preventable has lost us the match.

We've had 1 clean sheet in 15 matches and that's not good enough.

Over the close season we need to completely revamp our back line and midfield because we are hopeless when the opposition has the ball in our half.

Don't get close enough to people, don't make tackles, we press the ball in the opposition half but in our half we hand out invitations.

We struggled to raise our game against Livi to get in the top 6.  We looked poor and it was the game that mattered, we only turned up in the final 20 mins.

Didn't expect anything today in terms of performance, don't expect anything for rest of season.  

We are a hard team to watch, albeit made it into the top 6 due to Aberdeen and Hibs also being bags of shite this season. 

Hard to see how we're moving forward as a club at the moment. 

How does the boy Ojala  finish that game, he is slower than a week in the jail, Slattery sitting too deep because Ojala can’t step forward as he wouldn’t get back when we eventually lose the ball.

Defensively we were rotten today, this team needs a massive clear out, we need triers not passengers.

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

We struggled to raise our game against Livi to get in the top 6.  We looked poor and it was the game that mattered, we only turned up in the final 20 mins.

Didn't expect anything today in terms of performance, don't expect anything for rest of season.  

We are a hard team to watch, albeit made it into the top 6 due to Aberdeen and Hibs also being bags of shite this season. 

Hard to see how we're moving forward as a club at the moment. 

Maybe we are in the “one step back” phase and next season will be the “two steps forward” phase? I know, I know but I need to cling on to some hope. I know we are in top 6 which is a better position than last year but as you allude to, that’s ‘cause other teams regressed even more than we did. 

Our defence is a shambles,we've tried umpteen combinations all season but yet we don't have one partnership that looks solid.mugabi has improved this season but is going back the way the more he plays at right back,he looks completely lost against any decent opposition.if odonnell isn't going to be first choice next season he needs to be moved on and another player brought in that will,I just hope mugabi at right back isn't the long term plan.our options at left back are amateurish,to have both carroll and mcginley signed up for next season is a joke,carroll needs to be punted with a replacement brought in that will actually improve us in that area,going between two that are just as bad as the other isn't the answer.i thought we were decent earlier in the season at centre back but we look miles off it there,our distribution from the back is god awful,were all over the place when the opposition is running at through the middle.serious work is needed in the summer to improve our defence.i could rant about our midfield as well but I'll save that for another time.

Absolutely pathetic second half showing. Created nothing and conceded two cheap avoidable goals.

We need a full clear out of that squad in the summer, starting with Graham Alexander and no spawny top six finish should keep him in the post. We have been dismal all season and won ONE league match in 2022 and we are almost into May. That is unacceptable.

Alexander OUT

• Like 1
  • Confused 1