Motherwell v Rangers 24/4/22

Spiderpig

8 minutes ago, numpty said:

He's said before he has no interest in management, that's why he went off and started a media company instead.

Yep and I get that but everyone says some things that they then go back on.

Just.my view as I can't see what Alexander is trying to do.

All this season I can only think of hearts and dundee utd at home and aberdeen in cup that we played well.  2 of those were in pishing rain and other was cup .

He still doesn't know his best team .

Says it all really.

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It was him that brought in all five forwards who played today plus he signed Goss and Slattery so that's 5 out of 6 in  midfield and attack who are his players.

It's easy come, easy go for managers these days. Look at Robinson, he's been sacked 3 times in five years and will probably get sacked again before the end of the season and he will have made a fortune out of it. There's probably more money in bouncing around than being at one club long term.

Maybe, just maybe, it takes more than one summer transfer window to build a good team especially when there is no outstanding talent already there and you are operating on a budget.

40 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We were fine first half.

Second half we lost a poor goal 2 minutes in and then Rangers put everyone behind the ball and hit us on the break.

Since we have virtually no technical ability in the team that was pretty much a death sentence for us.

In fact today is almost a validation of Alexander's tactics over the season.  When we are on  the ball we are hopeless.  I know that.  Alexander knows that.  A lot of our fans haven't caught on to that yet cos they operate on mollusc level logic.  

Nothing changes until we have players that can put a foot on the ball and defensively organise themselves.  Given the limitations of the squad Alexander has done a reasonable job.  I don't think he's a great manager, but I think he's done enough to get the opportunity to improve the side over the close season.

Alexander has guided us away from looking like relegation certainties to Top 6 - is that worthy of the level of abuse he gets?  Not for me.  As for it being rubbish to watch, of course it is, it's Scottish football.  Scottish football is utter garbage.

I agree with a lot of your post but I honestly think his instructions limit us.

Slattery imo is gd on ball but he has no one to pass too. As I said on other post kvv huge miss but Woolery wide right 1on1 v barasic gives us a chance. 

Slattery kelly woolery and kvv are my only certain starters but 2 of them have been dropped for lots of season and other has been suspended. 

Start of 2nd half why did we not pass it about at back between our 4 and kelly for a while to get their 10 men running around and frustrate their fans and give us the belief that we were now in control?

So may questions to answer  that can't be answered on here but as you say bottom line is we have poor players.

He actually stood today for 20 minutes  chatting to his buddy in the dug out as 10 man rangers tore us to shreds. He offered no instruction in that time and no encouragement or direction , looked like he was checking his paddy power account on his phone.

Apart from not starting woolery his biggest  tactical fuck ups were putting Cornelius to right back and having efford and Carrol on the pitch. His tactics also allowed  tavenier all the space and time in the world whilst they had 11 and 10 men - very similar to Macgregor against Celtic . How can a professional manager not see that threat and guard against it? 

Top 6 matters fuck all when you offer zero entertainment , bring zero youth through , waste money on needless signings and the next month bring in all your chums to the coaching staff.

We are losing fans all over the place and I am another on the list who will not invest any more time , effort and money whilst I see little or no effort from a number of players and watch a team with an absolute clown at the helm who thinks he will be ok talking shite to our nice wee chummy media team.

as for ya bezzer reveal yourself - are you a actually burrows , McMahon or alexander himself ? Keep kidding yourself on that this year and season and signings and tactics is acceptable . 

Worst Motherwell team, worst squad and worst manager I’ve seen at fir park in 35 years - results this year back up that statement. 

Those saying the defence is shit are correct to a degree but fuck me the 3 in midfield ahead of them doesn’t help. We simply don’t have a defence , midfield or front 3 that allows us to play 433 but he still persists with it week after week after week. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In fact today is almost a validation of Alexander's tactics over the season.  When we are on  the ball we are hopeless.  I know that.  Alexander knows that.  A lot of our fans haven't caught on to that yet cos they operate on mollusc level logic.  

You can't blame Alexander for his tactics, because the players he signed and coaches are hopeless?

I wouldn't mock anyone else for their logic if I was coming out with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

You can't blame Alexander for his tactics, because the players he signed and coaches are hopeless?

I wouldn't mock anyone else for their logic if I was coming out with that.

It's easier to mock when folk display a complete lack of understanding of the whole situation around Motherwell FC and the whole context of Scottish football.

We have to play to our strengths, Alexander did that, did it better than the bottom half of the league, did it better than teams with massive budget advantages all the while trying to repair and rebuild relegation candidates who lost all of their best players over the last few seasons.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, we did that and, believe it or not, it worked.  Yes, it worked.  

Next season is a different stage of development.  I want Alexander to bring in at least a couple of technically better players in key positions so we can move forward and adapt our tactics but that is easier said than done and there are no guarantees.

A lot of our supporters need a massive dose of reality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think we've all overdosed on reality this season.

I'm unconvinced he wants to play any other way, but we'll see soon enough. If his summer signings don't work, he can't get another go in January.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We were fine first half.

Second half we lost a poor goal 2 minutes in and then Rangers put everyone behind the ball and hit us on the break.

Since we have virtually no technical ability in the team that was pretty much a death sentence for us.

Nothing changes until we have players that can put a foot on the ball and defensively organise themselves.  Given the limitations of the squad Alexander has done a reasonable job.  I don't think he's a great manager, but I think he's done enough to get the opportunity to improve the side over the close season.

Alexander has guided us away from looking like relegation certainties to Top 6 - is that worthy of the level of abuse he gets?  Not for me.  As for it being rubbish to watch, of course it is, it's Scottish football.  Scottish football is utter garbage.

I’m certainly a happy clapper, up there with the best of them on here but you’ve really highlighted much of the issues that I have under Alexander. The problem is he signed many of the players on display today with many on long contracts and he’s going to need some summer to turn around most of the defence and midfield for starters. He will get to start next season but let’s not kid ourselves that 2022 has been anything other than a complete shit show. I’m willing to give him that chance because we actually  ended up top six but the goodwill is going to evaporate pretty quickly if results and performances don’t improve. Alexander stated he wanted a smaller squad with better quality players on longer contracts, we need to now see that’s actually happened.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's easier to mock when folk display a complete lack of understanding of the whole situation around Motherwell FC and the whole context of Scottish football.

We have to play to our strengths, Alexander did that, did it better than the bottom half of the league, did it better than teams with massive budget advantages all the while trying to repair and rebuild relegation candidates who lost all of their best players over the last few seasons.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, we did that and, believe it or not, it worked.  Yes, it worked.  

Next season is a different stage of development.  I want Alexander to bring in at least a couple of technically better players in key positions so we can move forward and adapt our tactics but that is easier said than done and there are no guarantees.

I respect your opinion pal but do you think Akexander plans to change our style? Plus this is a man who thinks Carroll and mcginley are the answer at left back. But again respect your view sir but we will agree to disagree

32 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Posts like this are the Motherwell FC’s board and the heed yins wet dream.

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just watched highlights,  what the feck was Kelly doing for first goal and 2nd goal a farce , no challenge and Carroll as usual standing off and allowing the shot. Basic schoolboy errors, 

How many times has carroll done that this season that's led to a goal,bloody farcical that he keeps doing it again and again,after the first couple of times you would think he would have learned a lesson.between him and mcginley our options in that position are truly woeful.

• Like 2

I love how people are posting be realistic we are Motherwell don’t expect greatness, but this year our league has been especially shit, so 4th place was there  for the taking.  If our side had any sort of fight or heart that game was winnable today, Down to ten men against a weaken Rangers side you have got to fancy yourselves, but too many players hiding and not good enough, defenders sitting too deep, meaning midfield sitting too deep, basically our shape when they went to ten was shit, three at the back flood the midfield and overwhelm them, but no, we look lazy give up the middle of the park and let them cut us to bits with ten men, great tactics……

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfc said:

How many times has carroll done that this season that's led to a goal,bloody farcical that he keeps doing it again and again,after the first couple of times you would think he would have learned a lesson.between him and mcginley our options in that position are truly woeful.

Been saying it all season.  Been watching us for 45 years and seen Ruby Murray....angol....straker...chalmers.  but that double act are worse left backs I have ever seen.  Even scarier is fact GA can't see that

33 minutes ago, mfc said:

Carroll always looks so disinterested. He looks so passive about everything. He basically looks like he cant be arsed every week.

2 minutes ago, I'll*no*be*back said:

Carroll always looks so disinterested. He looks so passive about everything. He basically looks like he cant be arsed every week.

I said the same earlier in the season about carroll,he really doesn't look interested at times,there was a spell where he looked like he didn't want to be here.i can't believe we gave mcginley a new deal while having carroll under contract for next season.we need rid of carroll and an upgrade on both of those brought in. 

Ya Bezzer, whilst I support your right to express your opinions on the present state of our football club and the abilities, or lack thereof, of our current players and manager and admire your loyalty no matter how misplaced, I think you are deluded and, judging by remarks made in response by a fair number of posters, you are in a minority of one.  

For my own sins, I’ve been a diehard fan since 1967 and like countless others I’ve ridden the Motherwell emotional rollercoaster that comes with that and I can honestly say that in all that time, the present squad of players is the worst I’ve ever seen.  As for the manager and his football philosophy (for lack of a better adjective or perhaps a piss-poor vocabulary on my part) I think that it can best be described as, well, shite. 

Like many others, I can no longer work up any enthusiasm for going out to pay to suffer what can only be described as the equivalent of having your balls jammed in a vice whilst your teeth are pulled out one by one, and all without the benefit of anaesthetic.

Make no mistake, if this guy is permitted to remain as manager, then at the end of next season, we will be relegated and consigned to the Championship and as other clubs of our ilk have discovered, it is no easy task to get back out.

In some of your posts under this topic, you have berated fellow fans for expressing honestly held views with contemptuous ripostes like “When we are on the ball we are hopeless. I know that and Alexander knows that but a lot of our fans haven’t caught on to that yet cos they operate on mollusc level logic.” AND “Its easy to mock when folk display a complete lack of understanding of the whole situation around Motherwell FC.” Now, this seems to imply that you alone possess personal insight into these matters that us lesser mortals lack.  If this is the case, then perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us; but if not please accept this in the same spirit as your aforementioned ripostes, and f*ck right off.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, El Grew said:

For my own sins, I’ve been a diehard fan since 1967 and like countless others I’ve ridden the Motherwell emotional rollercoaster that comes with that and I can honestly say that in all that time, the present squad of players is the worst I’ve ever seen.  As for the manager and his football philosophy (for lack of a better adjective or perhaps a piss-poor vocabulary on my part) I think that it can best be described as, well, shite. 

Like many others, I can no longer work up any enthusiasm for going out to pay to suffer what can only be described as the equivalent of having your balls jammed in a vice whilst your teeth are pulled out one by one, and all without the benefit of anaesthetic.

Make no mistake, if this guy is permitted to remain as manager, then at the end of next season, we will be relegated and consigned to the Championship and as other clubs of our ilk have discovered, it is no easy task to get back out.

This 100%
Yesterday should have been a screeching siren warning sign to the board if one were needed. Yes, our home support for old firm matches is always poor but yesterday was exceptionally woeful and as a fan owned club, that is a red line. Why is that the case? There’s nothing to buy into, no youth being brought into the squad, no technical quality and absolutely not a clue tactically. Getting beat by a better team is never an issue - getting overrun by a hungrier and fitter side with 10 men is an absolute no-go zone. 
Alexander out.

• Like 2

1-1 at half time with a pretty positive first half of letting Tavenier bomb at will towards our defence, but that again has been our or should I say Alexander’s tack all season, let teams run at our dodgy defence, bombard us with crosses, score multiple goals against us, par for the course…but as many have said before get Woolery on from the start of the 2nd half n run at they cunts take the game to them…we knew all along that the ref would want to even things up in some shape n he didn’t disappoint but oh my fuck we don’t do ourselves any favours do we?

Ojala looked like a cart horse on Saturday, Bevis is never a right back, Carroll is never a left back, Cornelius just runs about like a headless chicken giving the ball away, Goss was anonymous, Efford trips over his own feet more times than anyone I know, we missed KVV but at least on a positive note it was a game he never got booked for dissent!

A total re build needed Back to front, I’d keep Kelly, Bevis , Slattery Tierney, Woolery KVV the rest are utter cack it’s just as well the rest of the league except the ugly sisters n tarts are just as shite as us or we would be relegated 

Alexander has the first 8 games of the new season I reckon and if it’s still eye bleeding shite he’s gone, I’d personally have him away now but having got top 6 he’s “over achieved” fuck knows how! 

it’s hard to keep positive this season, Alexander isn’t the man to take us forward sideways or backwards…if that was possible, get him out now 

just watched highlights,  so have better view of incidents.  think uts a red by modern standards , at one time you might have got away with that

don't think its a pen but its a moot point really.

carrol put in good cross for goal but once again turns his back on shot...one of the poorest defenders I've seen and heartless too .