Dundee United v Motherwell 30/04/22

SteelmaninOZ

Id be happy to see us testing out some new idea's.

example - tackle some of the obvious issues we have
we have no natural wingbacks fit /good enough.
Tierney is a handful but much better sitting back off the strikers and finding space. 
Other than shields we have no natural striker who's fit. 

As such play to our current strengths

3 at the back
1 out and out striker

That leaves lots of variations to test out players and add strength to midfield . We have players like Slattery, Donnelly, O'Hara, Goss. Woolery , Tierney, Shaw .  You could play 6 of them in the same team rather than picking the usual 3-4. 

I think we'd offer a hell of a lot more than what I've seen this calendar year by killing off the 4 at the back and 3 upfront as we simply don't have the players to make it work 

48 minutes ago, numpty said:

More football, however, would be welcome.

I'm a bit more modest in my ambitions for us. I'm not looking for more football, just more effective football.  It would be great to beat United by any means. I don't mind If they play us off the park, have goals chalked off and stonewallers turned down.  As long as we score more than them.

44 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would take a point,   as long as we can avoid defeat.   We need hearts to do us a favour today plus utd still got old firm to play 

Utd have a record against Rangers that we could only dream of so wouldn’t count them out getting something off them when they play them. Had Dundee Utd been in our situation at half time yesterday, with Rangers down to 10 and the score 1-1 they would have beaten them.

watching the dundee utd v hearts game , dundee utd are fucking honking TW totally anonymous  but they will take care of us wie their eyes shut. At half time the commentators going over all the top 6 fixture permutations and finishes off with " as for Motherwell they wont trouble anyone" , hard to hear but 100% correct. 

Final score ... Utd 2 v Hearts 3 ... really good game. Hearts were really good on the eye , Utd pedestrian , TW anonymous but Utd will still be too good for our midfield and defence.

Thats got to be some kind of record how many weeks results have gone our way and almost without exception we fuck up.

For our best shot at getting 4th I’d go along the lines of below for starting line up.  Not the best line up ever but Carroll has to drop out. Bevis has to move out of right back. Ojala is totally fkd and can barely move so he needs not to be on the field. Midfield needs to be able to control pass and move. Attack needs to start KVV (after suspension) and Woolery. 

Kelly

O’Donnell  Sol or Bevis  Lamie  McGinley

Tierney  Slattery  O’Hara

Woolery  Shields  Roberts  (versus Utd)

Shields  KVV  Woolery (last 3 games) 

No harm done this weekend as the top 3 teams all won.

If we want to contend for 4th or 5th this is the one that will do us most good to win.

Let's see who steps up and who consigns themselves to the summer clear-out list.

9 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

It looks like we are struggling with the right wing back position as it is rumoured that O’Donnell might be out for rest of the season and Mugabi does not appear to be comfortable in that area, so why does he not give Grimshaw a start? Is he really out of flavour with GA?

I would have no problem with grimmy at right back and move bevis back to centre half in place of ojala.  We have no other option at left back so are stuck with  Carroll 

Mugabi has looked all over the place of late at right back,we would benefit more having him at centre half beside lamie.im not much of a grimmy fan but having said that I wouldn't be against him at right back for this game,I would even go with ohara there before mugabi.

Is there no way we can recall the two young lads from QOS, probably better than the defenders we have, we know for definite that UTD will score on Saturday which means we need to score two, optimistic, we can only wish that the players actually want this.

Based on nothing more than blind hope and the fact that amazingly, despite only one league win since Boxing Day, somehow the results have conspired in our favour to keep us in the race, I think we will get something from the game. For the aforementioned good fortune to continue, sooner or later it has to happen in a game we are actually involved in, so why not now?

Realistically, another inept performance and result and our season is virtually over.

53 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Mental I know but I am going for a win against United, a win against Ross Co, and a win against Hearts. That will see us finish fourth and I can get treatment for my alzheimers after that.

So we will do more in one week than we've done in 4 months .... mmmmmm I think not. We are garbage its that simple. Teams don't need to try against us just be patient. If you look at all the goals we've conceded since Christmas the vast majority come down to basic errors that could be easily avoided. That's what frustrates me most team just don't need to work hard against us. 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

So we will do more in one week than we've done in 4 months .

That's often how form works though.

We weren't the only team struggling to pick up wins. That's why we made it into the top 6 and why there is only 1 point separating 6th and 4th. One or two of those struggling teams will put a mini-run together. Most of the same players were responsible for our better form in the first half, so it might be us that improves.