Dundee United v Motherwell 30/04/22

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

That's often how form works though.

We weren't the only team struggling to pick up wins. That's why we made it into the top 6. One or two of those struggling teams will put a mini-run together. Most of the same players were responsible for our better form in the first half, so it might be us that improves.

Anything is possible but we know what's probable. We had a player who was on fire who more than most created the results before Christmas. Since he left we have been rank rotten every week for 4 months.

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Anything is possible but we know what's probable. We had a player who was on fire who more than most created the results before Christmas. Since he left we have been rank rotten every week for 4 months.

Revisionism in the extreme. His purple patch had long passed him by. We have though sleep walked into this period with little or no plan to recreate his other attributes.

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

Revisionism in the extreme. His purple patch had long passed him by. We have though sleep walked into this period with little or no plan to recreate his other attributes.

There is nothing revisionist about it. TW, even when he wasn't scoring gave us options we just don't have now. His hold up play was immense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

So we will do more in one week than we've done in 4 months .... mmmmmm I think not. We are garbage its that simple. Teams don't need to try against us just be patient. If you look at all the goals we've conceded since Christmas the vast majority come down to basic errors that could be easily avoided. That's what frustrates me most team just don't need to work hard against us. 

If these basic errors can be easily avoided I am hoping that is exactly what we will do over the next 3 games. COYW

36 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

There is nothing revisionist about it. TW, even when he wasn't scoring gave us options we just don't have now. His hold up play was immense. 

A striker being on fire suggests scoring goals which had deserted him. I did mention we slept walked into the situation where we haven’t recreated his other attributes. We weren’t a one man team either, there were others who gave him the platform and were sidelined after he left to shoehorn others in.

• Like 1

No need for me to state the obvious that we are very poor at the moment and that skillful we aint. It is what it is.

But regardless of this we find ourselves incredibly with a good chance of Euro footie. Because of this and the benefits to the club this would bring i.e finance, prestige and ability to attract players , I feel the club has to give itself the best possible chance in the upcoming games ( particularly Utd and County).

Therefore, and in the absence of high skill levels, I feel we need to draw on experience , maturity and old fashioned dog eat dog determination.

For me therefore ,starting Saturday, the likes of Cornelius, Goss, Efford and despite his recent improvement Tierney should be nowhere near the starting 11. Instead , we need a midfield 3 of Slattery, Donnelly and O' Hara and a forward 3 of Woolery, Shields and ( hopefully fit) Roberts. 

Hearing that SOD might be back for Saturday and SSJ too this is a team which would be able to physically impose itself on what is a youngish Utd.

Yes, a team certainly not awash with skill but instead has the capacity to get in the trenches. 

That is all we have and it may be enough .

Did a quick look back over results and if I can count then Dundee United have one more point than us since Christmas.

Aye we're shite, but so are they.

Next three games are massive. Finish 4th, pocket some money and get as long as possible before the next competitive game so we can go in to the next season with some new faces and a bit of positivity.

The chance to seal 4th with a win over Hearts at Fir Park is there, that would be a game that if we won could put alot of this season behind us. 

57 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

So, which is it all you alleged guys in the know? Is SOD back for Saturday or is he out for the season? Or, more likely, you just don't actually know at all?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

From a very reliable source I hear SOD's injury is not as bad as first feared and that he has targeted the United game for his return.

If however his recovery slows it may be that the County game is more realistic.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, livivoice said:

No need for me to state the obvious that we are very poor at the moment and that skillful we aint. It is what it is.

But regardless of this we find ourselves incredibly with a good chance of Euro footie. Because of this and the benefits to the club this would bring i.e finance, prestige and ability to attract players , I feel the club has to give itself the best possible chance in the upcoming games ( particularly Utd and County).

Therefore, and in the absence of high skill levels, I feel we need to draw on experience , maturity and old fashioned dog eat dog determination.

For me therefore ,starting Saturday, the likes of Cornelius, Goss, Efford and despite his recent improvement Tierney should be nowhere near the starting 11. Instead , we need a midfield 3 of Slattery, Donnelly and O' Hara and a forward 3 of Woolery, Shields and ( hopefully fit) Roberts. 

Hearing that SOD might be back for Saturday and SSJ too this is a team which would be able to physically impose itself on what is a youngish Utd.

Yes, a team certainly not awash with skill but instead has the capacity to get in the trenches. 

That is all we have and it may be enough .

Deary me. There’s a few on here get pilloried for the nature of their posts yet this is sanctimony that knows no bounds.

Your preferred midfield 3, experience, maturity & dog eat dog determination? 2 of those mentioned got us in this mess by shoehorning them in on a regular basis. How do you possibly set them up? No balance whatsoever as for being in the trenches Donnelly and O’Hara would be the last on the list and the adjectives used certainly don’t describe them.

I’d be stunned if Alexander were to drop Cornelius, calls to change are crass at best. Wether it’s right or wrong - general rank and file support don’t know nor understand what’s being asked of the midfield. As I alluded to earlier in the season the fully functioning midfield has to be supported by a defence who’s not soft centred and a forward line suplimenting the other parts of the team - that’s where the points haul from then came from.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Deary me. There’s a few on here get pilloried for the nature of their posts yet this is sanctimony that knows no bounds.

Your preferred midfield 3, experience, maturity & dog eat dog determination? 2 of those mentioned got us in this mess by shoehorning them in on a regular basis. How do you possibly set them up? No balance whatsoever as for being in the trenches Donnelly and O’Hara would be the last on the list and the adjectives used certainly don’t describe them.

I’d be stunned if Alexander were to drop Cornelius, calls to change are crass at best. Wether it’s right or wrong - general rank and file support don’t know nor understand what’s being asked of the midfield. As I alluded to earlier in the season the fully functioning midfield has to be supported by a defence who’s not soft centred and a forward line suplimenting the other parts of the team - that’s where the points haul from then came from.

I wouldn’t start Donnelly but i would start Slattery and O’Hara 

43 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I wouldn’t start Donnelly but i would start Slattery and O’Hara 

I’ll ask again, what does O’Hara offer? 10 minute spell against Livingston when we were on the front foot, disappeared when they went 2 up then turns up at the end celebrating! Reverted to type on Saturday also. Ineffective. 

Is there no way we can recall the two young lads from QOS, probably better than the defenders we have, we know for definite that UTD will score on Saturday which means we need to score two, optimistic, we can only wish that the players actually want this.
QotS are bottom of the championship, and their defensive record is pretty poor. Johnstone hasn't seen much game time of late, possibly because he plays in their player-managers position. We're not good, but these guys aren't the solution.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

How to win friends and influence people has never been your strong point has it? Instead, your arrogance leaves you looking a bit silly.

Why not just accept people can have a different point of view to yours without putting them down. Try it .

You don't rate O'Hara. That's fine but for me ( in my humble opinion) I feel he is more than able to play on the left of a midfield 3 alongside ' roadtested' Donnelly and Slattery. 

As for Cornelius he will I suspect be someone we can count on next season and beyond but for the next 2 games I feel we will need stronger and more experienced alternatives.

Just my opinion. 

Arrogance? Behave yourself.

i do accept others have different opinions, just find some of the theory on here hard to comprehend - not of expertise myself, but, there are those so far removed from  reality it verges on the ridiculous..

Said my piece on O’Hara, we’re nearly 3 years at the club and plenty unsure what he offers never mind credentials to slot in an unnatural position for what will be a demanding fixture.

Taking Cornelius out on a man of the match performance against Rangers to shoe horn others in would be folly. 

16 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Arrogance? Behave yourself.

i do accept others have different opinions, just find some of the theory on here hard to comprehend - not of expertise myself, but, there are those so far removed from  reality it verges on the ridiculous..

Said my piece on O’Hara, we’re nearly 3 years at the club and plenty unsure what he offers never mind credentials to slot in an unnatural position for what will be a demanding fixture.

Taking Cornelius out on a man of the match performance against Rangers to shoe horn others in would be folly. 

So here’s my proposed team. Not sure what happens if O’Donnell not fit, maybe O’Hara goes to full back. Not badgering you or anything just interested to see what line up you would propose. Your comment re Cornelius does have some merit. 

Kelly

O’Donnell  Sol or Bevis  Lamie  McGinley

Tierney  Slattery  O’Hara

Woolery  Shields  Roberts  (versus Utd)

Shields  KVV  Woolery (last 3 games) 

Ohara has to start for me also some say what does he do. I can ask same about all our midfield  unfortunately but here's a stat I saw earlier.

Including league cup knockout game and scottish cup games and league 

Ohara in team won6 drew6 lost4

Ohara out team won5 drew5 lost12

Now I know there's a lot of other variables in games but that says a lot.

32 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So here’s my proposed team. Not sure what happens if O’Donnell not fit, maybe O’Hara goes to full back. Not badgering you or anything just interested to see what line up you would propose. Your comment re Cornelius does have some merit. 

Kelly

O’Donnell  Sol or Bevis  Lamie  McGinley

Tierney  Slattery  O’Hara

Woolery  Shields  Roberts  (versus Utd)

Shields  KVV  Woolery (last 3 games) 

Read it further up the page & still in disbelief. O’Hara’s inclusion been done to death over last few posts. Tierney on the right side of midfield? Roberts who’s not kicked a ball in weeks (never mind all season) Alexander picks that & I’ll about turn at the turnstile he’d deserve to fall on his sword.

i don’t do team selections. Don’t expect formation change, defence is problematic & I wouldn’t be going with 3 forwards, choosing to pack out the midfield  supporting as required. 

3 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Ohara has to start for me also some say what does he do. I can ask same about all our midfield  unfortunately but here's a stat I saw earlier.

Including league cup knockout game and scottish cup games and league 

Ohara in team won6 drew6 lost4

Ohara out team won5 drew5 lost12

Now I know there's a lot of other variables in games but that says a lot.

Jeez. Dress that up how you like. O’Hara out the team skews that finding as he was injured and couldn’t possibly influence.

I suspect the midfield are doing what they are asked to by the manager hence, they are selected on that. The rights and wrongs are open to debate.

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Jeez. Dress that up how you like. O’Hara out the team skews that finding as he was injured and couldn’t possibly influence.

I suspect the midfield are doing what they are asked to by the manager hence, they are selected on that. The rights and wrongs are open to debate.

Not dressing up anything at all just stating factual stats that show if he is out through injury suspension or dropped then we as a team are not as successful 

Everything else is just noise really.

16 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Read it further up the page & still in disbelief. O’Hara’s inclusion been done to death over last few posts. Tierney on the right side of midfield? Roberts who’s not kicked a ball in weeks (never mind all season) Alexander picks that & I’ll about turn at the turnstile he’d deserve to fall on his sword.

i don’t do team selections. Don’t expect formation change, defence is problematic & I wouldn’t be going with 3 forwards, choosing to pack out the midfield  supporting as required. 

Oh well I’m done !

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Wont put your money where your is  mouth regarding team selection or formation. Are you frightened of being ridiculed like you do to others with differing opinions to yours.

Edited by well_said
Auto correct
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, well_said said:

Wont put your money where your is  mouth regarding team selection or formation. Are you frightened of being ridiculed like you do to others with differing opinions to yours.

And another… Wind your neck in.

Never have done the mock team selections & certainly not for fear of ridicule. High percentage posted are nowhere near what those paid to do so select & it only serves to fuel ire at Alexander by not getting with their programme. 

As for offering differing opinion, I reply in kind. Some of the theory on here is open to ridicule rather than debate given the outlandish nature - smacks of not reading the room at any rate.

• Like 1

Think we have all voiced our views over past few days, we all need to unite whatever your views ahead of Saturdays huge match. COYW.     Anyway time for a joke, .....was in my local bakers the other day and asked 'is that a donut or a meringue?',   assistant went...'no you're right...its a donut'   ba dum tshhhh 

10 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

And another… Wind your neck in.

Never have done the mock team selections & certainly not for fear of ridicule. High percentage posted are nowhere near what those paid to do so select & it only serves to fuel ire at Alexander by not getting with their programme. 

As for offering differing opinion, I reply in kind. Some of the theory on here is open to ridicule rather than debate given the outlandish nature - smacks of not reading the room at any rate.

Why ridicule someone elses opinion though?

You could just point out it is wrong. Explain why it is wrong and maybe we would all have learned something?