Dundee United v Motherwell 30/04/22

SteelmaninOZ

Today we had more possession,  chances, shots on target, Kelly never had a save to make, hit the bar and post, great save from Siegrist from Tierneys header but had no luck at all.  Untd got a lucky break with the deflection off Lamie to go 1 up and that was all they offered the full game.

We done more than enough to win that game today, but lack of firepower up top cost us, KVV was a big miss.

That said its 3 games to go and we are still in the running for the Euro places this will run to the end, I've not seen any fat ladies singing yet, coyw

• Like 5

Same post match interview since last year, can’t be more proud of my players, on another day we win that game, we are on relegation form, luckily because of a fcukd up Scottish league split we are safe, in any other league we are in serious bother, why can’t the club see and recognise this…

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Today we had more possession,  chances, shots on target, Kelly never had a save to make, hit the bar and post, great save from Siegrist from Tierneys header but had no luck at all.  Untd got a lucky break with the deflection off Lamie to go 1 up and that was all they offered the full game.

We done more than enough to win that game today, but lack of firepower up top cost us, KVV was a big miss.

That said its 3 games to go and we are still in the running for the Euro places this will run to the end, I've not seen any fat ladies singing yet, coyw

Possession, chances & shots on target don't matter, it's all about winning.

Wasn't that the defence for Alexander up until the New Year?

41 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

"It's a disappointing result but I was so happy with the players today because I thought they were excellent all the way through."

I believe him.

No way he said that?? :doh:

He is taking the piss now, he needs to go.

• Like 1

Very frustrating afternoon.  Bizarrely we played better than I expected, just didn’t take our chances and lost a horrible deflected goal. 

Whilst theres no doubt we’re very poor, Utd aren’t any better.

To end up having to play Mugabi up front for the last 15 mins shows how poor we are in that position. He’s not a world beater but where is Roberts?

42 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just seen his post match comments, usual dross.....1 win in 18 games is not a team that are unlucky Alexander,  stop treating all of us like idiots 

To have 1 win in 18 games in this league is beyond a joke,there's something seriously not right to be on a run of form like that and it certainly isn't down to bad luck.

• Like 1

Why does the dick of a manager always seem to make every game about 'fine margins' or 'having an edge'? His whole philosophy is about us winning 51% to 49%.  This has spread through the team where if we just do enough we can get a result (newsflash arsehole, it's not working).  What's wrong with attacking, dominating and beating our opponents (like we did to the Jambos scum?).  Honestly fuck him and Lucketti sky high.

Overall his defensive minded shit shows are a horror to watch..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, couttsy said:

Very frustrating afternoon.  Bizarrely we played better than I expected, just didn’t take our chances and lost a horrible deflected goal. 

Whilst theres no doubt we’re very poor, Utd aren’t any better.

To end up having to play Mugabi up front for the last 15 mins shows how poor we are in that position. He’s not a world beater but where is Roberts?

OK, ga isn't the most engaging bloke in the world...I see a lot of talk about the post match comments,  he is right about yesterday's game, we were unlucky , we created more than them 

the test now is to go to Dingwall and do that and win  

I am not defending ga, its a terrible run we are on but nothing went for us yesterday.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I am not defending ga, its a terrible run we are on but nothing went for us yesterday.

The problem is that we've had a horrible run of bad luck for some time now. I'm not normally one to believe in luck but things have certainly gone against us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The problem is that we've had a horrible run of bad luck for some time now. I'm not normally one to believe in luck but things have certainly gone against us.

Yes they maybe have since January but we maybe got all our luck 1st half of season as we all saw we were just as poor but getting wins.

Whilst united never troubled our goal a lot they did dominate ball but we had best chances.

Think shape of team yesterday suited some better and next week I'd go same with hopefully odonnell back for rwb sol back for ojala and van veen for shields. 

Unbelievable really we still have a chance of europe and next week is biggest of season.

County are decent though and they are favourites in my book but we have pulled better results from nowhere this season. 

Taking yesterdays game in isolation we were not that bad. Tactics worked for the most part players done their jobs. Utd didn’t look that dangerous. We just didn’t take our chances. Tierney’s first one was a good effort. By the time he got the ball he was at the corner of the box with a defender between him and the goal. Didn’t try to beat the defender but instead shoots and unlucky not to score. His attempted chip, for me, was a missed opportunity and should have done better. The ball just has to make it under the bar so need a bit more lift to get it over the keeper. His header was a great save by the keeper. Lamie with header off, just off target. I’m pretty sure Kelly was about to make an easy save at their goal but the block from Lamie deflecting it just over his fingertips. Here’s hoping with KVV back we manage to take all 3 from each of the next 2 games. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Taking yesterdays game in isolation we were not that bad. Tactics worked for the most part players done their jobs. Utd didn’t look that dangerous. We just didn’t take our chances. Tierney’s first one was a good effort. By the time he got the ball he was at the corner of the box with a defender between him and the goal. Didn’t try to beat the defender but instead shoots and unlucky not to score. His attempted chip, for me, was a missed opportunity and should have done better. The ball just has to make it under the bar so need a bit more lift to get it over the keeper. His header was a great save by the keeper. Lamie with header off, just off target. I’m pretty sure Kelly was about to make an easy save at their goal but the block from Lamie deflecting it just over his fingertips. Here’s hoping with KVV back we manage to take all 3 from each of the next 2 games. 

1 point from our next 3 , we can analyse everything to death but we are basically a mediocre (bordering on poor) team with a manager who instils no confidence in me whatsoever. However he will have met the target the club set him so we wont be sacking him. If I was a betting man I think there is a good chance we will be sacking him in October.  We weren't lucky to get into the top six, we got the necessary points required , there is no other stat required. Yep we've been garbage for most of the season but half the league have been worse. Similarly we weren't unlucky yesterday we just weren't good enough. Doesn't matter a fuck about near misses. You get the same for near misses and no chances  at all. 

Tierney wasn't unlucky when he hit the post, the Dundee Utd defender closed him down sufficiently well that it left him no space to get the ball in the goal. Woolery hitting the bar was not unlucky it was poor finishing. Tierney wasn't unlucky with the chip it was just rank rotten play.  Dundee Utd got a fortunate deflection for the goal however had our finishing and final ball been better it wouldn't have been so costly. We don't have the run of result we've had for nearly 5 months because of bad luck. We have been so consistently poor that any good fortune the opposition might get finishes us off. The opposition just need to be patient against us nothing else.

The frustrating thing about yesterday is that we actually played some decent football for a change and created a fair few chances, partucularly in the first half. United may have had plenty of the ball, but they were doing precious little with it until they got the goal and even that is a wicked deflection.

The problem for GA is that its another defeat on top of the already poor run of form that we have been on and makes it easy for his detractors to pile on and demand him gone.

Whilst I have been teetering on the edge with him for some time, I dont see yesterday, in isolation, as a reason to call for his head.

At least yesterdays defeat had a level of entertainment about it, and a mid table finish playing that style of football would be eminently more watchable than the majority of the fayre we have been served up all season.

My only problem with yesterday was the substitutions again, which were baffling. Taking off Ojala for Efford seemed to make sense, but why not go to a back 3 and keep the extra man in midfield? Pushing OHara back to rightback didnt make any sense. Then he compounded it by putting Mugabi up front which was desperate enough in itself, but then to take Woolery off and put Donnelly on? Ive no idea how he thought that was going to get the goal we needed.

All that said. The poor run of form does continue and the pressure continues to mount. GA needs to show he can turn this around. Next week would be a good place to start.