Robbos boy

John Boyle

Thought this needed a topic of its own, a friend who sits in the Phil Oddonnell stand was astonished to see Boyle sitting in the Directors box on Saturday. Why do we as a fan based club, free from the protestations of this  total fake, allow him the privilege of not only being a guest, but upgrading him to the directors  box. Motherwell fc was a toy to him and a way of diversifying tax outlay, once that particular itch was over, he dropped us for dead, but unlike some of the players made sure we paid him the monies due. An absolute disgrace that he is allowed even back into the ground, never mind the Directors box. Comments please. 

•  
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Comments please. 

•  
  •  

I don't care.

• Like 4

I was never John Boyle’s biggest fan. He made mistakes when he was here and some of his decisions were hugely unpopular. However to give him his dues he recognised this and that he had overreached with his reckless spending in the late 90s and did what he could to put things right. He certainly didn’t ‘drop us for dead’ as you say.

I certainly don’t think he should be banned sine die from Fir Park as you appear to and I don’t really see what the problem with him being there is. I’m pretty sure him and Alan Burrows are still on good terms so it’s not really surprising to hear that he was there.

Boyle owned the club and made some bad business decisions.

He acknowledged that and decided to sell.

He chose not to sell to anyone likely to be detrimental to the club like that property developer and the infamous South Americans. Instead he thought the way forward was to make it a fan owned club and set that in motion.

On top of that, he wrote off a lot of the debt he had accrued with his mistakes when he could have insisted he was repaid in full (what we repaid him was a small fraction). That is what has been the death of many clubs over the years.

So like it or not, he was instrumental in making us the first fan owned senior club in UK football.

Like Al B, I don't really care, but feel free to froth and be outraged that a guy that owned our club gets to watch the games.

• Like 4

Like some of the other posters, I dont bear Boyle any ill will.

When he bought the club and started signing big name players like John Spencer and Andy Goram, none of the fans were complaining too much.

He also tried to be quite innovative in trying to grow our base support with various schemes to try and encourage younger fans into Fir Park.

Ultimately, it didnt work, and with the benefit of hindsight, his business acumen didnt transfer as well into the world of Scottish Football as he thought it could. He was also unfortunate in the timing of the demise of our TV deal with the whole Setanta/Sky debacle, so not all of it was on him.

I also do give him credit for not forcing us into liquidation to get some of his money back. I know it was his decisions that got us there, but as the biggest creditor he could have played it dirty. He chose not to and although he undoubtedly got some of his money back. He still took a big hit and we now all own the football club.

All that said. He is still wealthy enough to be paying his own way.

• Like 1

Another "not remotely bothered" here. I'd imagine all former owners, chairmen and directors have a standing invitation to a posh seat and a free pie whenever they're in town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Here’s the man himself 

Aboslute Wanker tosser and as much use as his peacock that turned into a feather duster!!!!! 

Let it go, man. Not good for you to be carrying that level of hate around inside you after all these years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

He made some very basics mistakes but for me he righted his wrongs and left us pretty much as he got us. I don't care whether he comes to Fir Park or not. I have more grief for Pat Nevin and Billy Davies who assembled the biggest pile of shite that struggled to get into the top six despite paying wages 3 times higher than we even pay now.

• Like 1

Who really cares if a former club owner gets a hospitality freebie to watch a game, nobody gives a feck what he done or what he was like its ancient history. We have more important things to discuss ie how we can beat United on Saturday. 

Just common courtesy to anyone connected with MFC from the past.

We're a friendly club after all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Thought this needed a topic of its own, a friend who sits in the Phil Oddonnell stand was astonished to see Boyle sitting in the Directors box on Saturday. Why do we as a fan based club, free from the protestations of this  total fake, allow him the privilege of not only being a guest, but upgrading him to the directors  box. Motherwell fc was a toy to him and a way of diversifying tax outlay, once that particular itch was over, he dropped us for dead, but unlike some of the players made sure we paid him the monies due. An absolute disgrace that he is allowed even back into the ground, never mind the Directors box. Comments please. 

•  
  •  

And what’s wrong with that?

The guy invested in Motherwell for years, made some mistakes yes but who hasn’t? 

I seem to recall that John Boyle spent £8-9m of his own money trying to improve us. It didn't work out but I appreciate him trying. Compare this to the Glazers at ManU who bought the club with the clubs money and now have a huge debt. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

CRAP, Someone on here was wanting his money back for rearranged Rangers game from a season ticket. Thats a disgrace. 

2 hours ago, Mortonhallwell said:

I seem to recall that John Boyle spent £8-9m of his own money trying to improve us. It didn't work out but I appreciate him trying. Compare this to the Glazers at ManU who bought the club with the clubs money and now have a huge debt. 

Boyle spent money that if not invested in our club, would have gone to the Tax man. His contribution was to spend that money as quickly ad as possible to offset further tax implications. Mr Boyle might not be silly, but he's not daft where money is concerned. Once the tax implications came into play, he placed the club into administration and moved onto his next venture, namely Airways. He is a total waste of space and should not be allowed anywhere near Fir Park. He promised the manager, players and us as supporters the earth, Europe, 3rd best team in Scotland and it fell on its arse and good people who were owed got 10p in the £, absolute crook, but he new what he was doing. 

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Boyle spent money that if not invested in our club, would have gone to the Tax man. His contribution was to spend that money as quickly ad as possible to offset further tax implications. Mr Boyle might not be silly, but he's not daft where money is concerned. Once the tax implications came into play, he placed the club into administration and moved onto his next venture, namely Airways. He is a total waste of space and should not be allowed anywhere near Fir Park. He promised the manager, players and us as supporters the earth, Europe, 3rd best team in Scotland and it fell on its arse and good people who were owed got 10p in the £, absolute crook, but he new what he was doing. 

Are you his Accountant by any chance.

6 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

He made some very basics mistakes but for me he righted his wrongs and left us pretty much as he got us. I don't care whether he comes to Fir Park or not. I have more grief for Pat Nevin and Billy Davies who assembled the biggest pile of shite that struggled to get into the top six despite paying wages 3 times higher than we even pay now.

I agree with what your saying here,the thing that pissed me off more than anything about the whole administration thing was that wee tadger nevin making out none of it was his doing and passing the blame onto anybody but himself.to this day I don't know why boyle gave davies the job,with the plan being to spend and split the old firm,I'm pretty sure there would have been a queue of managers that would have been up for the job.

People often talk about John Boyle stating that Motherwell would be the third force in Scottish football but I remember it as him saying we would be a third way i.e. an alternative choice away from the Glasgow teams.  Am I misremembering this?

50 minutes ago, ropy said:

People often talk about John Boyle stating that Motherwell would be the third force in Scottish football but I remember it as him saying we would be a third way i.e. an alternative choice away from the Glasgow teams.  Am I misremembering this?

That's often the misconception. 3rd choice for lanarkshire, not 3rd force in the league.

3 hours ago, santheman said:

Are you his Accountant by any chance.

No, but remember guys like Miller, Livingston, Samuel's and Chapman etc, who put money in, not for personal glory but for pride and support of the team, Boyle is an arse,!!!!!! 

34 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

No, but remember guys like Miller, Livingston, Samuel's and Chapman etc, who put money in, not for personal glory but for pride and support of the team, Boyle is an arse,!!!!!! 

How much of his 10 million investment do you think Boyle asked to get back?

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

How much of his 10 million investment do you think Boyle asked to get back?

You just don't get it, Accountant Mr Boyle if you dont do X then the taxman will be after Y. Boyle ok I'll buy Motherwell fc promise their supporters and the rest that they will be the 3rd best team in Scotland, not Lanarkshire, buy overpriced players and pay them extortionate wages. Accountant, Mr Boyle it may go wrong. Boyle, I don't care really, I'll just put the club into administration, pay my creditors 10p in the £ and move onto my next venture. Accountant, good idea sir!!. The others I mentioned stood buy the club for years, so Boyle is a wrong un.