Ross County v Motherwell 07/05/2022

SteelmaninOZ

31 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Hopefully Utd and county get nothing from old firm games. We really need to beat hearts otherwise Utd go into the last game not really caring cause they are already assured Europe and most likely 3rd spot even if county beat them. 

Thought today was an awful game and showed up our many limitations however just like the Livingston game the only thing that mattered was the result. The players stuck to their task and we were LONG overdue a bit of luck which we got. 

Dundee Utd are utter shite. Taken 9 points off us and have never been the better team.  I think they are the Jammiest team in the league. I got a terrible feeling they'll fluke some kind of result tomorrow.

• Like 1

What a massive 3 points that is,I didn't see us getting anything so I'm chuffed to be proved wrong over my earlier prediction on this thread.at half time it looked like it would take something like a penalty to win the game for either side,I'm just glad we got the break this time,we were due one.i didn't like the way we were dropping deeper and deeper towards the end but I have to say I thought we defended our box brilliantly in the second half.

Cracking result .  

unlikely to catch Utd but statistically still in it.

Very odd season , it’s felt a hard slog yet here we are in 5th. 

like most of Scottish footy we need an injection of quality and good old entertainment .

fingers crossed we can take a few more points 

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Cracking result .  

Very odd season , it’s felt a hard slog yet here we are in 5th. 

like most of Scottish footy we need an injection of quality and good old entertainment .

fingers crossed we can take a few more points 

Win on Wednesday and assuming they lose to Celtic and Rangers we go in to the last game two ahead of them.  

We have a very realistic chance of finishing 4th.

And an equal chance of finishing 6th....

46 minutes ago, mfc said:

What a massive 3 points that is,I didn't see us getting anything so I'm chuffed to be proved wrong over my earlier prediction on this thread.at half time it looked like it would take something like a penalty to win the game for either side,I'm just glad we got the break this time,we were due one.i didn't like the way we were dropping deeper and deeper towards the end but I have to say I thought we defended our box brilliantly in the second half.

We barely made it but we did. Couldn’t believe how many times we let them fire in dangerous crosses.  Cross after cross and most of them dangerous. Some good backs to the wall defending, some good goalkeeping and some luck(finally) saw us through. I wouldn’t rely on that approach to see us through too often though. 

4 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Win on Wednesday and assuming they lose to Celtic and Rangers we go in to the last game two ahead of them.  

We have a very realistic chance of finishing 4th.

And an equal chance of finishing 6th....

More importantly, if we beat hearts and county get beat by rangers, we are in Europe. I’ll take 4 th or 5th (preferably 4th) 

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Cracking result .  

We have an excellent chance of catching untd, they are at Ibrox tomorrow and then they are at home to Celtic on Wednesday so it's very unlikely they will get any points from those 2 games.

So potentially if we beat hearts we could be 2 points ahead of them with 1 game left.

Great result today, as we say shit end of the season and result is a result, happy for the big neighbour at right back thought he was excellent today, had a lot of doubters for him all season, but hopefully proved people wrong. COYW

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We have an excellent chance of catching untd, they are at Ibrox tomorrow and then they are at home to Celtic on Wednesday so it's very unlikely they will get any points from those 2 games.

So potentially if we beat hearts we could be 2 points ahead of them with 1 game left.

Dont bet on it they are jammy bastards this season

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Great result today, as we say shit end of the season and result is a result, happy for the big neighbour at right back thought he was excellent today, had a lot of doubters for him all season, but hopefully proved people wrong. COYW

I have been critical of Sod and carrol but they were both good yesterday and got forward well....but they have both warranted the stick at tines...but ur only as good as ur last game , so they're both good,  in my book

What a difference a penalty and a clean sheet makes. 

A week ago there was talk of   sacking the manager and now we are one victory away from what would be a very successful season. 

Fine margins indeed. Outwith the OF games it could be argued that we could have won every game we lost and vice versa. Yesterday was an example of this. 

I think the only thing that has really been missing this season is one stand out performance where we won at a canter playing the other team off the park. These types of performances help us forget about the many poor performances sandwiched in between. We just have not had that type of performance this season. 

I have the feeling that the Alexander reign is going to be a slow burner but ultimately a successful one. We just need one showcase performance this season and I would be very happy. Hearts on Wednesday would do nicely. 

At this stage of the season for most clubs in any league, the result is all that matters.  Fans hope that their team wins games and are not too bothered about how this is achieved and this was never more clearly demonstrated than by the emotion and relief shown after yesterday’s win in Dingwall.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but in truth we were again quite inept.  In fairness it was a very poor game and one which I thought had 0-0 written on it even before kick-off as there was so much at stake for both teams. 

In the final analysis it was a case of the ends justifying the means as we got the 3 points craved by both sides.  However, it shouldn’t be forgotten that it took a ridiculous refereeing decision and a world class save from Liam Kelly to ensure we got the win.

I feel that the major issue is that at no time during the season have we had a settled cohesive side.  There has been far too much chopping and changing from one game to another as the manager doesn’t seem to know what his best 11 is.  IMO this is result of having too many players at the club who are not up to playing at SPFL level.  He picks his team, some players make schoolboy errors and are dropped in favour of others who in truth are no better. This undermines players confidence as they fear one error in a game will see them dropped.  He must accept that the type of player we have, with a few exceptions, will make errors and he needs to stick with them, work with them and give them a decent run in the team. If after 5 or so games there is no improvement then look to try somebody else.

As I have previously posted I believe some of the solutions lie in:

1. Making a drastic cull of the squad in terms of size to take out as much deadwood as possible.

2. The club trying to make funds available to bring in 3 or 4 players who are a cut above what we presently have.

3. Looking again at our youth policy which in the not too distant past has produced the likes of Murphy, Scott, Cadden and Turnbull.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I have been critical of Sod and carrol but they were both good yesterday and got forward well....but they have both warranted the stick at tines...but ur only as good as ur last game , so they're both good,  in my book

Stephen O’Donnell is as good a full-back as we’ve had at the club for a long time.  The guy gets picked for regularly for Scotland and has rarely if ever had a bad game. When he’s dropped he never complains and you never hear anything bad about him. In short, a model pro. Sure he’ll have some poor games. All players do.  Even the late great Joe Wark wasn’t perfect in every game.  He’s the best full-back at the club by a mile and the fans need to recognise it and get behind him.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, El Grew said:

At this stage of the season for most clubs in any league, the result is all that matters.  Fans hope that their team wins games and are not too bothered about how this is achieved and this was never more clearly demonstrated than by the emotion and relief shown after yesterday’s win in Dingwall.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but in truth we were again quite inept.  In fairness it was a very poor game and one which I thought had 0-0 written on it even before kick-off as there was so much at stake for both teams. 

In the final analysis it was a case of the ends justifying the means as we got the 3 points craved by both sides.  However, it shouldn’t be forgotten that it took a ridiculous refereeing decision and a world class save from Liam Kelly to ensure we got the win.

I feel that the major issue is that at no time during the season have we had a settled cohesive side.  There has been far too much chopping and changing from one game to another as the manager doesn’t seem to know what his best 11 is.  IMO this is result of having too many players at the club who are not up to playing at SPFL level.  He picks his team, some players make schoolboy errors and are dropped in favour of others who in truth are no better. This undermines players confidence as they fear one error in a game will see them dropped.  He must accept that the type of player we have, with a few exceptions, will make errors and he needs to stick with them, work with them and give them a decent run in the team. If after 5 or so games there is no improvement then look to try somebody else.

As I have previously posted I believe some of the solutions lie in:

1. Making a drastic cull of the squad in terms of size to take out as much deadwood as possible.

2. The club trying to make funds available to bring in 3 or 4 players who are a cut above what we presently have.

3. Looking again at our youth policy which in the not too distant past has produced the likes of Murphy, Scott, Cadden and Turnbull.

very much agree. 

In truth we should let every player who's out of contract leave at the end of the season, don't think there's anyone who would be a certain start in first 11.

It still leaves a huge amount of very average players on longer contracts - some creative wheeling and dealing needed to offload them as well. 

3-4 quality players right through the spine of the team would make a massive difference.

The thing is, managers never sign players they don't think are quality and that they don't think will improve the team.

As every team in the world knows, you have no real idea of how a player will fit into your team until you start playing them. It doesn't matter if you are Tony Watt (who fans doubted) or Paul Pogba (who is world class, but not at Man U).

However, now that GA has had a full season in the Premiership and better knows how he wants to play and what level is required to compete, I expect like most posters on he we'll see a pretty drastic overhaul in the summer.

Having said that, I didn't think we were "inept" yesterday. I wouldn't claim we were playing free flowing football, but in our last 2 games against our closest rivals (both away from home) we lost one to a jammy goal and won the other while keeping a clean sheet. We were pretty solid and dug in when we needed at the end when County threw everything at us knowing their season probably depended on it.

The one plus is we're being average in the right half of the table.

Let's just win on Wednesday and then start the summer clear out.

• Like 1