The future….

SteelmaninOZ

Interesting that some haven't played on grass for the best part of five years. Must have blown their minds to be playing on grass and a hill at the same time.

Hopefully the reserves/unders return to some normality next season and we can get a better idea of who's knocking on the door. Seems that a few have been training with the big team, so maybe a couple are close.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Wishielad said:

If Alexander and Lucketti ever give any of them a chance.

When are people going to realise that from a squad of maybe 15 reserve players/ colts/development whatever they are called these days we will  be lucky to get 2 or 3 that will make the step up to the 1st team, the rest won't be good enough.  People seem to think they should be played irrespective of their readiness and/or ability to do so , that's not how it works.

Motherwell have an excellent record of "giving youth a chance" Turnbull,  Hastie, McGuire, Cornelius, Johnson, to name a few in recent years not every one makes it, but to say they never get a chance is just wrong, if they are good enough they will. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

When are people going to realise that from a squad of maybe 15 reserve players/ colts/development whatever they are called these days we will  be lucky to get 2 or 3 that will make the step up to the 1st team, the rest won't be good enough.  People seem to think they should be played irrespective of their readiness and/or ability to do so , that's not how it works.

Motherwell have an excellent record of "giving youth a chance" Turnbull,  Hastie, McGuire, Cornelius, Johnson, to name a few in recent years not every one makes it, but to say they never get a chance is just wrong, if they are good enough they will. 

I don't expect many of the young boys to make it as it's the nature of competitive sport. Motherwell have a good record but so far, the current brains trust on the bench have, Cornelius apart, focused on bringing folk in rather than bringing folk through.

19 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Well if you know of any gems in there , that are first team ready...fire away.

I was making a general point about what, judging by his actions so far, seems to be Alexander's preferred approach. I think my second posting - not this one - makes that clear.

Personally I’m not sure why this always seems to be an issue, it’s been shown that the club gives young players a chance IF they look to have the qualities needed, only a small minority coming through any club do make the grade.

38 minutes ago, Wishielad said:

I was making a general point about what, judging by his actions so far, seems to be Alexander's preferred approach. I think my second posting - not this one - makes that clear.

fair dues, but , so far , in his tenure, how much access to youths, reserves has he had? If he is still here in a few years and nit given youth a chance, then questions could be asked 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 1:42 PM, Spiderpig said:

Maybe but I still think most managers are far too cautious about giving players a chance.

For me you'll never know unless you give players first team football.

There have been lots of youth hotshots that do nothing in the men's game but I think it works the other way too.  There are players at youth level that only reach their potential when they start playing 'real' football.

And I've said this many times, not every youth graduate needs to be 'Turnbull' level.  The standard of the league is pretty poor so if players can come in at 18, 19 and compete and then gain experience and improve over the years that's good enough.

I think some times we focus on bringing through sellable assets rather than players that are going to serve the club.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

And I've said this many times, not every youth graduate needs to be 'Turnbull' level.

Yeah, but they need to be better than what we have already. And maybe the simple fact is that none of the current lot meet that criteria? I'm sure if they did they'd be getting a crack at it.

As far as the pandemic is concerned, it's had a catastrophic effect on youth development, not just for us but also for almost all Scots clubs. It's bound to have stunted young lads' development and slashed opportunities to progress to first teams. This may have a long term effect. 

Hopefully we'll get back to normal next season with the resumption of regular youth competitions.

It's against this backdrop we should assess GA's approach to blooding youngsters.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 8:29 PM, Kmcalpin said:

As far as the pandemic is concerned, it's had a catastrophic effect on youth development, not just for us but also for almost all Scots clubs. It's bound to have stunted young lads' development and slashed opportunities to progress to first teams. This may have a long term effect. 

Hopefully we'll get back to normal next season with the resumption of regular youth competitions.

It's against this backdrop we should assess GA's approach to blooding youngsters.

Good post mate