Motherwell v Hearts 11/05/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Well done to all the players and staff for getting us into Europe. Still brutal to watch - especially when van Veen's not there to play something resembling football - but they've done exactly what was needed in the last two matches. Whatever I think about Graham Alexander's tactics, he does manage to dig out those results. Just hope he's got his eyes on a few decent players for next season.

Great result. Could not bear to watch and just checked the result.

Alexander has taken some stick. Correctly so given his 2022 record up until the last few weeks. 

But by Christ he deserves credit and so do the players. A motley crew but whatever the rumours you don’t not have the teams backing to go on and win 3 crucial games in last month. 

A lot of criticism about standard of players. Hello… we have Dundee United paying Watt twice what we could. Dundee offering Lamie an extra £70k per annum. We are not going to sign perfect players. Man United cannot do that. 

I am delighted and praying my passport application is expedited by mid July. 

• Like 1

Well. It’s unbelievable that we are in Europe after the season we’ve just had, but we are. Well done all involved, whatever anyone thinks about how we achieved it or how it happened, we managed it and that is massive for us as a club.

Well done to end up 4th or 5th, but the question is how to translate that into bigger crowds. Surely the answer is to play attractive football that folk look forward to going to. It has to be more attractive than the alternative that 5-6k people choose on game days. Until that's accomplished we'll never have a consistent ability to attract players to compliment the kids coming up through the ranks. Still we can enjoy how the seaqson turned out, despite 2022 results. Mon the Well.

That 7 minutes injury time!

Absolutely fantastic achievement for any Motherwell team to get Top 6 and qualify for Europe but for one with basically a goalkeeper and 1 decent outfield player it's a very impressive result for our manager who did a lot of things the fans didn't like but was proved right to do so in the end.

Hopefully we bring in a bit more quality and learn to complete passes over the summer but honestly I think you have to give this team a bit of praise.  There isn't a lot of talent there but I think this team has plugged away and tried harder than more talented squads of the past.

We didn't win a lot of matches, especially in the second half of the season but we've outperformed much bigger clubs over the season and even during the bad run we were always in the games, didn't go on losing streaks and showed some real guts at time.

Great way to end the season (really, who cares about the Celtic game now?) and nice to give Keith a rousing farewell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Only 30% possession but I don’t recall Kelly having any great saves. Or is my brain just fried ? 

First half he had a few saves to make.

Second half was pretty comfortable (and yet also completely terrifying for fans such as I!)

8 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Only 30% possession but I don’t recall Kelly having any great saves. Or is my brain just fried ? 

A few bog standard saves but nothing of note.

I never felt that Hearts despite all their possession actually had us under any real pressure.

Still don't want to go through another last 20 mins like that though.

1 minute ago, santheman said:

I never felt that Hearts despite all their possession actually had us under any real pressure.

Ojala off, made the game different

The Covid seasons have thrown up some strange times.

Last season, behind closed doors, St Johnstone winning 2 cups was pretty incredible and unlikely to happen in a regular season.

This season hasn't been quite as chaotic, but I think the clubs are still trying to manage the impact and there has been a general leveling of the gap between about 4th and 10th which is why 3 wins this year have put us into Europe while double winning St Johnstone are headed to the relegation play-offs.

And then there's Rangers who have been pretty average (for an ugly) in the league this season but stormed their way to a Euro final.

Just now, santheman said:

Between tonight and county game my nerves are shot!!!