Motherwell v Hearts 11/05/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Let’s hope Ross county beat Utd 

I have said it on another forum. 

Finishing 5th may prove more lucrative as we would be in 2nd qualifying round with a decent chance to get 3rd qualifying round. That is worth 350k Euros + home gate. More that the extra £100k for finishing 4th in SPFL. That plus the chance for the fans to get to more than one away Euro tie. 

So I would be more than happy to finish 5th and actually hope we do. 

Just now, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Finishing 5th may prove more lucrative as we would be in 2nd qualifying round with a decent chance to get 3rd qualifying round. That is worth 350k Euros + home gate. More that the extra £100k for finishing 4th in SPFL. That plus the chance for the fans to get to more than one away Euro tie. 

As long as we make it to Q3 round since I’ll be back home the first two weeks in August. 

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

The refs first premier game?? Hope it goes well. 

Have to say I actually thought he had a good game Mathew MacDermid, just the one booking (Slattery) which was deserved and CERTAINLY better than our usual supposed to be senior refs namely Collum and Beaton and would think he will be the rising star for referees

We'll be in Europe at the same time Aberdeen and Hibs are in the Betfred. We can all be critical of how things have went this season but walking out the 3-2  HIbs game in August absolutely everyone bites your hand off for that outcome. 

Hopefully the management and players are looking for fourth. I won't be shocked if RC do us a favour but we should have another cup tie attitude on Saturday because looking at our results in Glasgow this season it's very possible.

• Like 1

Great win. Great 3 points. Good start, lost our way a bit until half time. Much better second half. Showed plenty of grit and determination to get the result over the line. Played a bit more football through midfield as well. Cant help feeling if we had been watching that Motherwell all season, there would have been a lot less complaints about entertainment value, and who knows, maybe a few more points in the bag. Still, all a bit churlish now. European football is in the bag and the manager deserves credit for the things he got right and the chance to show he has learned from the things he didnt. Great scenes at the end and a fitting send of for Keith which was clearly very emotional for him and his family.

“Oh ho ho it’s magic, you know oh ho”

Hearts won’t be singing/blasting that tonight. Get it right up them! 

Great result for us, after a pretty dismal season we’ve got a tangible reward. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Have to say I actually thought he had a good game Mathew MacDermid, just the one booking (Slattery) which was deserved and CERTAINLY better than our usual supposed to be senior refs namely Collum and Beaton and would think he will be the rising star for referees

Better than a lot of refs I have seen this season. Seemed pretty consistent. 3 shouts for PKs all very similar and the same reaction/decision each time. 

7 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Job done, well done Alexander.

I have hated watching us most of this season a lot of it has been turgid but even GA's fiercest critic has to give him some credit. Having watched Motherwell for over 40 years I've seen Motherwell teams a damn site better than the current one achieve absolutely fuck all. So for this team to get European football is a huge. Sure we have been helped by the fact 10 of the 12 teams in the SPFL are pish but you can only take on and compete with what is in front of you. For those suggesting we sack GA it would be sheer madness sitting where we are. That said if we continue into next season playing the way we have questions could be getting asked in September / October. However that is a discussion for another day. GA has probably exceeded every target laid in front of him for this season and for that we must acknowledge it and give him credit. 

I do genuinely want GA to succeed but remain on the undecided bus whether or not next season will see an improvement in the quality of our play.

Well Done EVERYONE  at the club ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Agree with that.

6 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I also thought the ref had a good game. We often say that the ref sets the tone in the first couple of minutes… if they give fouls early on for players falling down at the slightest contact, then that’s what happens for 90 minutes. He let things go, and guess what… the players generally got on with it without the cheap falling over. 

• Like 1

Donnelly looked lost first half playing in a back three, was fine second half when we went to a four.

First half was generally poor and despite Hearts not really creating much it felt like a goal was coming, the change of shape at half time made all the difference. Thought it wasn't going to be our night when Efford missed that header but they stuck too it and were worth it in the end.

Much like the season overall.

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Great result. Could not bear to watch and just checked the result.

Alexander has taken some stick. Correctly so given his 2022 record up until the last few weeks. 

But by Christ he deserves credit and so do the players. A motley crew but whatever the rumours you don’t not have the teams backing to go on and win 3 crucial games in last month. 

A lot of criticism about standard of players. Hello… we have Dundee United paying Watt twice what we could. Dundee offering Lamie an extra £70k per annum. We are not going to sign perfect players. Man United cannot do that. 

I am delighted and praying my passport application is expedited by mid July. 

yep, I keep hearing we are only where we are because Aberdeen,  hibs etc are poor...they're poor and paying a good bit more than we do.We have been under the same restrictions as other teams because of covid etc

so well done everyone at mfc, great atmosphere last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Lamie has really popped up with some very important goals for us, he may just stick around.

No idea whether he will or not, but it must be some feeling scoring the goal that guarantees your team European football on the same night the one you just signed for is guaranteed relegation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

yep, I keep hearing we are only where we are because Aberdeen,  hibs etc are poor...they're poor and paying a good bit more than we do.We have been under the same restrictions as other teams because of covid etc

so well done everyone at mfc, great atmosphere last night.

I'm with you on that Grizzly. Last night we won because Hearts were understrength. Many forget that we were also considerably understrength too.

It was certainly a game of 2 halves last night and at 8.30 I'd have happily settled for a draw. Our entire defence was well.....shocking in the first half, and I had the fear defensively when KVV came on but he was the catalyst for improvement and we tightened up at the back after the break.  Credit to the management for changing things though and to the team for showing fight and determination. I was concerned that we sat so deep in the last 20 minutes or so but we restricted Hearts' chances and saw the game out very well.

The referee was decent and I've seen far worse but he should have carded Mackay Stevens for a shocking late challenge and could have awarded 3 penalties - at least all were similar challenges and he showed consistency.

Pleased that Las ended his last home game on a high.

A great night and good to see fans get their reward.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I don't think that's how it works.

If we get knocked in the Q2 we get 350,000 EUR, if we get knocked out in Q3 we get 550,000 EUR. So entering at Q3 is more guaranteed money.

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

I don't think that's how it works.

If we get knocked in the Q2 we get 350,000 EUR, if we get knocked out in Q3 we get 550,000 EUR. So entering at Q3 is more guaranteed money.

You are right. I misread the prize money distribution. 

So finishing 4th gets us £130k more in SPFL prize money + guaranteed extra 200k Euros. 

Finish 5th and you potentially get an extra home Euro gate. If we were to enter 2nd qualifying round you would hope a more winnable tie such as a Glentoran / Coleraine. No guarantee but we would be seeded and a decent chance of progressing. The extra game would probably make up for SPFL prize money shortfall.

Being selfish I would rather have the extra Euro game so not entirely fussed about 4th or 5th. As it happens I expect United will get the draw they need on Saturday to finish 4th. 

56 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If we finish 4th would we be seeded for Q3?

Where we finish in the league only effects seeding in Q3 in terms of being above or below Dundee United. 

I think when I looked last night we were worse case scenario 32nd highest rank in Q2 out of 90 teams. In Q3 there are 54 teams so 27 seeds but a maximum of 9 higher seeded teams coming in at that stage. So we would need 14 higher rank teams to lose in Q2.

But our coefficient will go up further if Rangers win next Wednesday and it could be as few as 6 higher ranked teams entering Q3 so it could be more favourable to us scraping a seeded spot. 

Think we will end up 5th but if we do then it's still a European tour.  Ps.  I will finish with my end of season joke (or not)...did you know Bon Jovi were originally called 'Oh By Jovi' but had to change their name when Ken Dodd sued for breach of copyright.    Ba dum tsssssh

• Confused 1

We would certainly be seeded for Q Round 2. 

I seem to recall that we were only seeded to meet Coleraine because ironically they managed to beat Maribor. That meant we crept in as the lowest ranked seed. 

We probably would need as much if not more luck for that to happen again. That said it is a lesser competition than the Europa league so one would expect more lower seeded teams.