Motherwell v Hearts 11/05/2022

SteelmaninOZ

12 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

We would certainly be seeded for Q Round 2. 

I seem to recall that we were only seeded to meet Coleraine because ironically they managed to beat Maribor. That meant we crept in as the lowest ranked seed. 

We probably would need as much if not more luck for that to happen again. That said it is a lesser competition than the Europa league so one would expect more lower seeded teams. 

There are some good teams in the conference league by Q3 and the playoff round most of the dross has been eliminated. So to make the group stages we have 6 games to get through, only 4 if we finish 4th so it will be a tough ask if we are not seeded.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Where we finish in the league only effects seeding in Q3 in terms of being above or below Dundee United. 

I think when I looked last night we were worse case scenario 32nd highest rank in Q2 out of 90 teams. In Q3 there are 54 teams so 27 seeds but a maximum of 9 higher seeded teams coming in at that stage. So we would need 14 higher rank teams to lose in Q2.

But our coefficient will go up further if Rangers win next Wednesday and it could be as few as 6 higher ranked teams entering Q3 so it could be more favourable to us scraping a seeded spot. 

I think it is even more difficult to get a Q3 seeding.

Last time I am sure the Q3 draw was made before Q2 was completed. And if a non seed beat a seed in Q2, they took their seeding in Q3.  So it was not a case of clubs sitting just below a seeded position moving up if an expected seed in Q3 got knocked out in Q2.