Europa Conference League

Stuwell2

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you transferred all our players to various Irish League sides how many of them do you think would be stand out players in the League of Ireland?

Probably not very many of them.

There's a simple reason our squad of players are playing at a higher level in the Scottish Premiership and not in the LOI , they are better players, every senior player  we have would walk into  any Irish team , so as Kmcalpin says we are far stronger than them and should win .

But as we know especially following Motherwell  teams can have bad games etc so we need to be professional and get right in about them from the 1st whistle and dominate the game,  if we do that we will win comfortably and hopefully get the tie settled at Fir park, 

17 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Even before that we had the extraordinary scenes at Fir Park when fans applauded Stevie Robinson, who left us in a terrible state and on the brink of relegation, and at the same time booed and screamed abuse at the current Motherwell manager that had just horsed Robinson and his St Mirren side.  You couldn't make it up.

It's quite simple. Some people just don't like Alexander. Well, the very small part of him that they see in the media and suchlike. Obviously very few people on here actually know him as a person.

But yeah, he's far too confident (interpreted as arrogant) in his own abilities to be a Motherwell manager in the eyes of some. I'm guessing that for some people how he carries himself (with a slight swagger) and the aforementioned confidence doesn't fit with the "wee club, rollercoaster etc" patter that many fans associate with Motherwell.

I've also seen it said that he "looks too cool" in some fans eyes. The fact he dresses well seems to irk some people for some reason. Maybe if he wore a tracksuit that was a size too large he'd be more loved? 

I personally quite like him. He doesn't do much pandering, especially to the old firm. We've had managers who are basically gushing over their teams whenever we played them. Alexander doesn't do that. 

Criticism of his footballing style can be made for sure, it's been chronic to watch at times, but it's hard to argue with his overall results since he came in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David said:

It's quite simple. Some people just don't like Alexander. Well, the very small part of him that they see in the media and suchlike. Obviously very few people on here actually know him as a person.

But yeah, he's far too confident (interpreted as arrogant) in his own abilities to be a Motherwell manager in the eyes of some. I'm guessing that for some people how he carries himself (with a slight swagger) and the aforementioned confidence doesn't fit with the "wee club, rollercoaster etc" patter that many fans associate with Motherwell.

I've also seen it said that he "looks too cool" in some fans eyes. The fact he dresses well seems to irk some people for some reason. Maybe if he wore a tracksuit that was a size too large he'd be more loved? 

I personally quite like him. He doesn't do much pandering, especially to the old firm. We've had managers who are basically gushing over their teams whenever we played them. Alexander doesn't do that. 

Criticism of his footballing style can be made for sure, it's been chronic to watch at times, but it's hard to argue with his overall results since he came in. 

Excellent post!

To an extent some people don't like anything.  They are perma miseries / glass half empty types.

That is down to personalities and outlook on life.  I see quite a few on here who hardly post anything positive regardless who the Manager is and what the results are. That is unlikely to change.

I try to be more balanced and base my thoughts on a Managers performance based on whether we over achieve (top 6, Europe, Cup Finals) or under achieve when getting knocked out early in cups or fighting relegation.  The one Manager I do recall disliking a lot was Malpas.  McGhee, McCall, Robinson and Alexander have all done a reasonably good job for the most part.

• Like 2

Absolutely. Those who are critical of Alexander's playing style, his results from Christmas to the end of the season etc all have valid points. But there does seem to be a lot of unwarranted anger and dislike based on stupid things as I mentioned above.

In saying that, it's a new season. Back to square one. If he doesn't get us off to a good start and we're sitting in 10th or so by November then questions will need to be asked, and rightfully so. I don't think we'll be in that position right enough, but if we are then all bets are off.

13 minutes ago, David said:

In saying that, it's a new season. Back to square one. If he doesn't get us off to a good start and we're sitting in 10th or so by November then questions will need to be asked, and rightfully so. I don't think we'll be in that position right enough, but if we are then all bets are off.

By November we could be sitting 3rd in the league, looking forward to fixture congestion with league Cup semis and Europa conference league group stage matches , playing well and there would still be people moaning on here, you all know who you are.

I really would love to know what some people expect from a team like Motherwell over a season ,winning the league is never going to happen, so is it constant top 6 finishes, deep cup runs, euro qualification or be greedy and expect all 3.

As a club just beginning our 35th season I think in the top division, reasonably frequent Top 6 and Euro qualification,  runners up in the league twice with champions league entry for a club our size I think we do very well compared to other clubs of a similar size and even better than some so called bigger clubs at times, and all achieved with various managers, so let's try and talk up our achievements over the years instead of constantly whinging and slating the club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

I really would love to know what some people expect from a team like Motherwell over a season ,winning the league is never going to happen, so is it constant top 6 finishes, deep cup runs, euro qualification or be greedy and expect all 3.

Not that much. 

To sign players from teams with larger budgets than we have and who we've all heard of, and for a manager who isn't arrogant and who doesn't dress well to have us playing a Liverpool-esque style of football that takes us to regular wins over the Old Firm and into the top six/four every season.

So, basically John Lambie with the footballing intelligence and tactical know-how of Pep and Jurgen. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Two tickets for the Sligo end sorted, the internet can be an incredible place sometimes.

Let's hope the Internet stays that way you might need it to watch the game online if you get chucked out for being in the wrong end :D

48 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Let's hope the Internet stays that way you might need it to watch the game online if you get chucked out for being in the wrong end :D

I'd admire your optimism that tickets bought off the internet are genuine :wink:

I see the official stream is confirmed for £12 PPV. I assume it won't be covered by our MFC TV sub, but I'll be checking tomorrow just to make sure.

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

By November we could be sitting 3rd in the league, looking forward to fixture congestion with league Cup semis and Europa conference league group stage matches , playing well and there would still be people moaning on here, you all know who you are.

As a club just beginning our 35th season I think in the top division, reasonably frequent Top 6 and Euro qualification,  runners up in the league twice with champions league entry for a club our size I think we do very well compared to other clubs of a similar size and even better than some so called bigger clubs at times, and all achieved with various managers, so let's try and talk up our achievements over the years instead of constantly whinging and slating the club.

I think a lot of the criticism of Alexander last season was justified. I was very critical at times but I would like to think it was constructive. Anyway that was last season and I am sure GA has learned a lot also from last season (apart from recognising a decent left back ) but that's just my own view.  Let's all create a great atmosphere tomorrow and get right behind the lads ...COYW