Celtic v Motherwell 14/05/2022

SteelmaninOZ

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Aye, it's generally been pitiful, including today, but you don't need to ignore the 2 or 3 great results to make that point.

Ive accepted it was my mistake however my 10 year stat wont be long in arriving. Hopefully someone can dig up a stat that says James Mcfadden as a youngster that wasnt the last Motherwell player to secure 3 points against Rangers. Cos that one irritates me greatly too.

Disappointing to end the season with a scoreline line that,you need to make it hard when your up against better players and we were as far away from that today as we could get,some of the defending for the goals was school boy stuff and easily avoidable.5th is definitely an achievement but I'm glad to see the back of this season.

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Ive accepted it was my mistake however my 10 year stat wont be long in arriving. Hopefully someone can dig up a stat that says James Mcfadden as a youngster that wasnt the last Motherwell player to secure 3 points against Rangers. Cos that one irritates me greatly too.

Other than the play-offs, I think that's right. They both piss me off, cos most of us probably remember beating at least one of them pretty much every season. The thought that this is as good as we can realistically hope for now is bloody depressing.

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Other than the play-offs, I think that's right. They both piss me off, cos most of us probably remember beating at least one of them pretty much every season. The thought that this is as good as we can realistically hope for now is bloody depressing.

I grew up in an era when the OF didnt like playing us in the 70s 80s and 90s , sure we took some beatings then too but at least we could land a glove on them every other season to compensate. Not now its just an endless procession of winless games..they now must piss themselves with excitement facing us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I grew up in an era when the OF didnt like playing us in the 70s 80s and 90s , sure we took some beatings then too but at least we could land a glove on them every other season to compensate. Not now its just an endless procession of winless games..they now must piss themselves with excitement facing us.

From our current squad Id keep Kelly, Lammie, Slattery, Shields, Tierney, Van Veen, Cornelius  and Woolery the rest can go as far as Im concerned. I know it doesnt pan out like that because of current deals etc but I really dont care about the rest.

18 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I could actually stomach some of the pumpings if they were offset by the occasional victory.

Unfortunately the gap between Selik and us and the rest of the Spl is only going to get even  bigger next season when they spend another 20-30 million on players……..it annoys me the way the press are alluding to their manager being messiah who inherited  a bunch of duds who had just won multiple trebles and has miraculously turned them round on a budget the rest of the league won’t spend in the next ten years combined 

This is one of the poorest well sides I’ve had the misfortune to watch………. But on the bright side…..top 5 and 2 games in Europe……a few teams below us can only dream about 

38 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Putting aside the 2 draws at Ibrox this season, in the 70s, 80s and 90s Rangers and Celtic were in various states of financial crisis and we even had Aberdeen and Dundee Utd win the league (and Hearts blow a title chance when they should have won it).

There was a financial disparity between the clubs, but not nearly as wide as it is now.

As someone who grew up in an era of 70s, 80s & 90s you will have witnessed the restructuring of the leagues, the re-structuring of the prize money and tv money and the restructuring of the gate money from 50/50 to home team keeps everything. All these things were instigated by the OF with the sole intent of making them richer and ensuring the gap between them and the rest of us widened to the extent it would be impossible for us to compete.

The rest of the clubs, including ours, bent over to accommodate them because they were scared the OF would leave the Scottish League.

It happened everywhere of course, from the EPL to the Champions League. All of it designed to keep the rich richer and reduce actual competition.

It could be changed, but nobody in Scotland has the balls to do it. So at least for my lifetime I don't expect we'll be able to offer much competition at Parkhead and Ibrox when they can pay individual players more in a year than our entire salary budget.

• Like 6

The league needs to be drastically redesigned to provide a competition in the absence of that ever happening we have to accept that it will be won be either side of the OF for evermore, the chase for the top 6 and relegation is what's left for everyone else, this does however provide some entertainment for the fans.

The only other hope is for a real quality manager to lift one of the other mediocre teams to challenger. 

• Like 1

It could be changed, but nobody in Scotland has the balls to do it. So at least for my lifetime I don't expect we'll be able to offer much competition at Parkhead and Ibrox when they can pay individual players more in a year than our entire salary budget.

Could it be changed though? Didn’t Aberdeen give away our opportunity to out vote the OF?

Scottish football is a mess, it is no surprise that “provincial” clubs such as Inverness, Ross County, St Johnstone etc all enjoyed successful periods while Rangers were out the league. They both need gone but even with them we should be playing in a bigger league where everyone plays each other twice but that is long gone and won’t be returning anytime soon.

The club haven't said a word about SPFL voting since the Well Society took over so we seem to agree with Aberdeen.

Perhaps a question for the next AGM but I don’t see why the club would make a point of something that we can’t directly impact right now. I don’t think it shows support for or against.

I would be bitterly disappointed if the club’s position was to favour a voting system that benefits the OF at the expense of the rest of us.

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Putting aside the 2 draws at Ibrox this season, in the 70s, 80s and 90s Rangers and Celtic were in various states of financial crisis and we even had Aberdeen and Dundee Utd win the league (and Hearts blow a title chance when they should have won it).

There was a financial disparity between the clubs, but not nearly as wide as it is now.

As someone who grew up in an era of 70s, 80s & 90s you will have witnessed the restructuring of the leagues, the re-structuring of the prize money and tv money and the restructuring of the gate money from 50/50 to home team keeps everything. All these things were instigated by the OF with the sole intent of making them richer and ensuring the gap between them and the rest of us widened to the extent it would be impossible for us to compete.

The rest of the clubs, including ours, bent over to accommodate them because they were scared the OF would leave the Scottish League.

It happened everywhere of course, from the EPL to the Champions League. All of it designed to keep the rich richer and reduce actual competition.

I accept all of that but even taking that into account it still doest explain away not just our poor but utterly appalling record against the OF. One day I'm  going to sit down and compare our record over the last 10 years  compared to other top 10 teams. It may be my imagination but I suspect its got to be one of the worst if not the worst.

6 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

Perhaps a question for the next AGM but I don’t see why the club would make a point of something that we can’t directly impact right now. I don’t think it shows support for or against.

I would be bitterly disappointed if the club’s position was to favour a voting system that benefits the OF at the expense of the rest of us.

For it to change there would have to be public demand which won't happen without some initiative. There are three fan owned clubs in the league now who should be working together on this. 

!!Iv not watched it, went to the golf instead. Driving up i listened to the first 20minutes. Had a chuckle when the commentator said 90% possesion Celtic and motherwell have everyman within 35 yards of their goal...... Graham Alexander must be worrying.

Eh no. This is likely how GA sent us out, its not his first rodeo playing everyone behind the ball!

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

The club haven't said a word about SPFL voting since the Well Society took over so we seem to agree with Aberdeen.

Why would they say anything the subject has never came up since the Rangers fiasco, remember it was Aberdeen who sided with the green uglies to scupper the vote, every other club including us wanted to change it to a simple majority a big chance missed.

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

The points difference between the old firm and everyone else tells its own story, embarrassing and boring these days and it’s never going to change.

Yup, and it is only going to get worse with the direct entry to the group stages for one, or both, of the "arse cheeks". It is why I don't bother engaging with the  arguments for "Alexander out" or "why can't we put a glove on either of them". It is what it is now and it is probably how it will remain.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Watching highlights, never watched game live.  I am sorry, folk can go on about bigger budgets but half the goals conceded are embarrassing. No names mentioned but players in that team need to be punted

I only watched first half, all 3 goals very preventable...first 2 lost possession,  3rd jake carrol ( again) loses man ....how many goals has he been liable for?

Just now, Great Balls of Shire said:

I only watched first half, all 3 goals very preventable...first 2 lost possession,  3rd jake carrol ( again) loses man ....how many goals has he been liable for?

Trouble is you get away with those mistakes against a lot of teams but against OF it can kill you as we painfully know.