Pre-Season 2022/23

wellfan

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The half fittingly ends with Efford falling over the ball.

Morris has been decent on the ball but is more of a playmaker than a forward. That’s about the only positive. 

Our away strip is cracking to be fair.

• Haha 1

Just now, steelboy said:

Efford adds to his collection of comical goals. 

A deflected Thistle clearance plays him and with the full goal to aim at he hits it straight at the keeper and it goes through his legs to make it 1 nil.

Tierney just missed an empty net. 

They all count though!

36 minutes ago, Kmac said:

There's very little you can take from friendlies.

And yet, every season, they are dissected on here as if they were a competitive must-win match in the middle of a league campaign.

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Efford adds to his collection of comical goals. 

A deflected Thistle clearance plays him and with the full goal to aim at he hits it straight at the keeper and it goes through his legs to make it 1 nil.

Tierney just missed an empty net. 

You really are a man incapable of having a positive bone in your body. Living with you must be a truly miserable experience.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You really are a man incapable of having a positive bone in your body. Living with you must be a truly miserable experience.

So what positives did you take from that dugshite of a performance . The only thing u can say is the players got 90 mins under their belts and looked as bad as ever 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So what positives did you take from that dugshite of a performance . The only thing u can say is the players got 90 mins under their belts and looked as bad as ever 

That’s what you take.

22 minutes ago, Yodo said:

It wasn’t great viewing, granted, and there are valid concerns about the upcoming season. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves on, in my opinion.

However today was a good workout and we managed to get the win. If you want positives, that’s your positives from today.

Third choice right back played and we still got a clean sheet. Captain and first choice striker didn't play, we still won. Morris got a chance (and Spittal a second chance) to actually play with new team mates in a match situation. Those are positives...

Anyone expecting Brazil 1970 when our squad is weaker than last season is kidding themselves. Take the positives you can...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Anyone expecting Brazil 1970 when our squad is weaker than last season is kidding themselves. Take the positives you can...

I don’t think any Motherwell fan would realistically expect ‘Brazil 1970’ or anything remotely like that. However as you say yourself the squad is weaker than last season. And last season we were awful. No flukey top six/Europa qualification can disguise that. We played next to zero football throughout and got by from Aug - Dec because we had Tony Watt who could get goals to bail us out. 

From Boxing Day ‘21 until the end of the season we won three league matches and didn’t win a league match in 2022 until April. In that time we were eye-bleedingly dismal to watch and we can thank our lucky stars that the rest of the dross in the league managed to cut their own throats enough times to keep us out of trouble.

So if, as you acknowledge, the team is now weaker than we were at the end of last season then it’s perfectly reasonable for Motherwell fans to have concerns ahead of the new season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Third choice right back played and we still got a clean sheet. Captain and first choice striker didn't play, we still won. Morris got a chance (and Spittal a second chance) to actually play with new team mates in a match situation. Those are positives...

We have had a bid for the first choice striker then he disappears out the squad with a 'knock'. We have all seen this movie before. 

As for SOD I'll be very surprised if he captains us again. 

You are correct about the squad being weaker. We need two starting quality attackers even if Van Veen doesn't go back to Holland. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We have had a bid for the first choice striker then he disappears out the squad with a 'knock'. We have all seen this movie before. 

You are correct about the squad being weaker. We need two starting quality attackers even if Van Veen doesn't go back to Holland. 

If we lose van Veen now then it will be a hammer blow. 

29 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I don’t think any Motherwell fan would realistically expect ‘Brazil 1970’ or anything remotely like that. However as you say yourself the squad is weaker than last season. And last season we were awful. No flukey top six/Europa qualification can disguise that. We played next to zero football throughout and got by from Aug - Dec because we had Tony Watt who could get goals to bail us out. 

From Boxing Day ‘21 until the end of the season we won three league matches and didn’t win a league match in 2022 until April. In that time we were eye-bleedingly dismal to watch and we can thank our lucky stars that the rest of the dross in the league managed to cut their own throats enough times to keep us out of trouble.

So if, as you acknowledge, the team is now weaker than we were at the end of last season then it’s perfectly reasonable for Motherwell fans to have concerns ahead of the new season.

What’s the reasoning for suggesting we are weaker than we were at the end of last season ?

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

That's got to be the wildest pish I have read on here and that's a feat.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

"Knock"why r we playing contact football days b4 we kick off our season unless it was in austria

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

What’s the reasoning for suggesting we are weaker than we were at the end of last season ?

We’ve lost Woolery and Roberts. Neither of whom were regular starters, I know, but were options for us. We’ve also lost O’Hara who falls into the same category although McGinn may give us another option. We needed to strengthen our squad from what we ended last season with and that hasn’t happened. Indeed we have lost two attacking options and replaced them with Josh Morris (who is unknown and deserves every chance to prove himself) and may yet lose van Veen as well. 

I’m not saying that the squad has been substantially weakened, but it has been weakened to an extent and considering how poor we were last season, that can’t be a good thing.

38 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Was speaking to KVV and Morris after the game he wanted to play today but medics did not want him to risk it before Thursday game 

Him and Morris are the best of mates with KVV selling the club to him 

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

We’ve lost Woolery and Roberts. Neither of whom were regular starters, I know, but were options for us. We’ve also lost O’Hara who falls into the same category although McGinn may give us another option. We needed to strengthen our squad from what we ended last season with and that hasn’t happened. Indeed we have lost two attacking options and replaced them with Josh Morris (who is unknown and deserves every chance to prove himself) and may yet lose van Veen as well. 

I’m not saying that the squad has been substantially weakened, but it has been weakened to an extent and considering how poor we were last season, that can’t be a good thing.

I honestly can’t see how losing the above players has made us weaker. Of the three only Woolery was rated by anyone and he was far from a first choice player. Roberts and OHara  a loss ? Sorry not for me. We’ve also added three players, two of which are proven at this level with another striker added, the three of them have not even kicked a ball in competitive anger yet. Van Veen is still here at this point. On top of that the younger players breaking into the first will hopefully gain more experience and those that joined last season will be looking to kick on with a couple who struggled through injury hopefully fitter. 
It’s way, way too early in my view to suggest we are weaker given that at this point we have not lost a single player of influence since Watt and those joining us have not been given a chance.

As above, the only good player we lost from last season was Watt. Everyone else was either shite, or inconsistent/injured, and not one of them would have been a difference maker today, never mind in an actual important game.

I still hope we have an addition or two to make, but the three we've brought in so far, and with the likes of Slattery and shields hopefully progressing, I'm not in a panic.

31 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

They were options for us, which we’ve not got anymore. Meanwhile we haven’t really strengthened the squad. I’m sorry but to me that suggests that we are weaker.

I guess what I’m saying without putting them down is they were not great options. I can’t remember Roberts or OHara doing anything of note last season. The three additions could strengthen the squad, we just don’t know yet.