Pre-Season 2022/23

wellfan

21 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I need to know what players that left has made us weaker?Grimshaw? Donnelly?O Hara?Roberts?Who?.Just curious cause if anything we got rid of alot of injury prone floaters.

Pretty much everyone that were not seen as good enough but now seem to be a loss.

I don't think we are weaker than last season.  The defence has remained the same; the midfield is stronger than it was and we now have more skill there. Lads like Johnston, Cornelius and Maguire are a year more experienced. Up front, we are slightly weaker granted. GA has acknowlegded that we are "light" there. We know that we need another out and out striker to back up Van Veen - that was clear several months ago. Without him we are toothless.

Today was a decent bounce game; more time in legs; we won without conceding.  

Were a bit weaker in terms of numbers but that's about it,let's be honest none of the players that have left will be a miss.we won't really know exactly how our squad is shaping up before the end of the transfer window,so we will just need to be patient on that score,we definitely need atleast another couple,I still think we need a bit of creativity in midfield and a central striker,no harm to shields but we can't be relying on him leading the line anytime van veen is out,which he will be at point this season.

All the discussion last season argued for a smaller squad of better quality. We may be a couple short in important areas, but surely we are headed in the right direction? Spittall, Morris and McGinn are surely upgrades?  Some folk are never happy....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

All the discussion last season argued for a smaller squad of better quality. We may be a couple short in important areas, but surely we are headed in the right direction? Spittall, Morris and McGinn are surely upgrades?  Some folk are never happy....

Upgrades on what?

29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

On the players that were being moaned about last season for being shite......

I'm not so sure about that.

SOD was ahead of McGinn for Scotland but hopefully McGinn can be a better player for us. Spittal will be competing with Goss, Slattery and Cornelius for a shirt, I don't think he's an upgrade on them. 

It's hard to say with Morris but if we are signing him as a forward then I think he will struggle. He's definitely not an upgrade on Watt.

54 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm not so sure about that.

SOD was ahead of McGinn for Scotland but hopefully McGinn can be a better player for us. Spittal will be competing with Goss, Slattery and Cornelius for a shirt, I don't think he's an upgrade on them. 

It's hard to say with Morris but if we are signing him as a forward then I think he will struggle. He's definitely not an upgrade on Watt.

Upgrades are compared with players who have gone out the door though, whilst at the same time shrinking the squad for non covid times.

Out - Grimshaw, Niernnold, O'Connor

In  - McGinn

Out - Donnelly, O"Hara, Shaw

In - Spittal, Morris

Out - Roberts, Amaluzor

In - ???

Folk were complaining how little football was in the midfield last season, which perhaps contributed to us playing it long a lot of the time. So the introduction of Spittal and Morris has to help in that regard. Looks like we will be relying on Maguire and Cornelius together with Slattery to be the workhorses in midfield. Tierney should be getting close to a regular first team start and will feel like a new signing, so already there "appears" to be more creativity in the side. I dont see us signing any more defenders, I think we will be trying to get more out of what we have. Up front is the concern. Morris isnt a striker and we really need someone that will get us goals and can lead the line if KVV is out, or heaven forbid gets sold.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Folk were complaining how little football was in the midfield last season, which perhaps contributed to us playing it long a lot of the time. So the introduction of Spittal and Morris has to help in that regard. Looks like we will be relying on Maguire and Cornelius together with Slattery to be the workhorses in midfield. Tierney should be getting close to a regular first team start and will feel like a new signing, so already there "appears" to be more creativity in the side. I dont see us signing any more defenders, I think we will be trying to get more out of what we have. Up front is the concern. Morris isnt a striker and we really need someone that will get us goals and can lead the line if KVV is out, or heaven forbid gets sold.

Good post which largely mirrors my own thoughts. Spittal and Morris are more creative types than O'Hara and Donnelly and Grimshaw. They're different kinds of players. That should allow us to play a more creative game - whether they are good enough time will tell. I think though that Slattery, Cornelius and Maguire have a few more strings to their bows than being workhorses but I take your general point. Agree 100% about our strikeforce. I think we may well see some further change in defensive personnel given GA's comments but that may depend on someone leaving. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Upgrades are compared with players who have gone out the door though, whilst at the same time shrinking the squad for non covid times.

Out - Grimshaw, Niernnold, O'Connor

In  - McGinn

Out - Donnelly, O"Hara, Shaw

In - Spittal, Morris

Out - Roberts, Amaluzor

In - ???

We are looking at different things. I want better performances not better unused subs and guys sitting in the stand.

I don't see any of the three signings so far improving our results other than McGinn possibly making less errors that cost goals than SOD. 

• Like 1

The signings we’ve made give me hope  the 433 as we played it will change .

Within defence and midfield we have a lot of very decent players . 

upfront is weak. I can can’t  envisage a world with efford , kvv and shields bring our front 3. 

l could see having kvv as an out and out striker with Tierney coming from deep + a whole host of midfield options would make us a much more dynamic team.

it would be wasteful to continue with the 433 as was .  

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

We are looking at different things. I want better performances not better unused subs and guys sitting in the stand.

I don't see any of the three signings so far improving our results other than McGinn possibly making less errors that cost goals than SOD. 

The question was whether the players improved or "upgraded"  the squad.

If McGinn, Spittal and Morris all force themselves into the first team then you subs become SOD, Goss, or perhaps Efford depending on where the 3 are played.

That immediately improves your bench which is now filled by last years starters.

That should, in theory, improve performances.

As I said, if we can bring in a better quality striker, that should improve the competition for Efford and Shields as well.

Whilst not as bad as previously described I would have expected him to slot it into either corner. So perhaps a wee bit lucky to end up on the score sheet. Maybe that’s a good sign that we will carry a wee bit of good luck this year and I’m sure he doesn’t care how it goes in as long as it does and I’ll take that as well. COYW.