Favourite Well games of the past

twistandshout1983

Absolute boring having no football this time of the year so what better time to watch old Well clips on you tube

Came across this one earlier,   think we should start a thread for fans favourite games of the past , or even some games which are less remembered but good to see classic old Well footage once again 

75-76 SC 3rd Round against Celtic and obviously, the 91 SF Replay. Both I suspect had highlights posted here many times :-)

• Like 2

That strip had some good memories attached to it. There was Jamie Dolan day, where we decided to stick one of the smallest people on the park in goal after Howie got injured against Celtic. Billy Davies also scored a header, so good day for the wee guys.

• Like 1

There was also a game, I think the year before this, where we beat Aberdeen 2-1 at FP. Paul lambert scored with a good finish after a nice move, then Coyne and Davies combined for a clever free kick routine, where the latter passed to TC down the outside of the wall, and he finished under the keeper from a tight angle. Not a hugely important game, but I had it taped off sportscene, and could see myself in the crowd, so it stuck with me. The footage isn't online, which is a shame.

17 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

That strip had some good memories attached to it. There was Jamie Dolan day, where we decided to stick one of the smallest people on the park in goal after Howie got injured against Celtic. Billy Davies also scored a header, so good day for the wee guys.

Great choice, remember this game well 

45 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

This Mckinnon goal from the free kick was memorable

I think my favourite piece of footballing karma is when your opponent concedes a red card tackle outside the box to prevent a goal, and you score from the resulting free kick.

• Like 1

So many games to recall over the years, but the ones that immediately stand out are......

1991 Scottish Cup Semi Final v Celtic. You normally dont get a 2nd chance to turnover one of the big 2, especially at Hampden, and the expectation levels were pretty low, especially after going behind so early in the game. The euphoria of wee Psycho's 30 yarder hitting the net and the 4th goal from Kirky to seal our first Cup Final appearance of my lifetime. Much more enjoyable experience than the final as I was just too nercous to enjoy that.

Our first European appearance at Fir Park under the lights wearing the "floodlight white" kit. Fabulous atmosphere at an absolutely rammed Fir Park and a very good performance. Cooper and Russell were in their pomp. Caught by the inevitible breakaway goal to end our chances, but not before we replied with 3 of our own only to go out on away goals.

Dortmund away. Probably one of the best performances by a Motherwell team that I can recall, given the standard of the opposition. We gave them a real fright and if Tommy Coyne had just converted that chance at the end, who knows what might have happened?

• Like 1

Yep, the 3-1 victory against a full-strength Spurs side (Pat Jennings, Alan Mullery, Martin Peters, Martin Chivers, Alan Gilzean et al)  in the Texaco Cup was a wonderful night, particularly since the Londoners scored early on at Fir Park to take a two goal lead on aggregate before Heron, Donnelly and Watson turned the tie around in a thrilling comeback.

And then Peters made a complete graceless prat of himself by whining that 'Well were "all muck and nettles".

The thought of us facing a full strength Tottenham Hotspur team now makes the blood run cold, mind you. 

6 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

This was a good night

It was a very good night, I was in the top tier and when Fitzpatrick scored I ended up about 5 rows further forward absolute scenes, it's a shame we never turned up for the final.

• Like 1

I don't know that if put these as favourites but both were mental celebrations. Both strangely enough against Dunfermline. We played at East End Park were miles ahead at the top of the 1st Division but Andrew Waddell was the referee was being a pure cunt to us. Game was 0-0 Joe Wark injured and made him walk right round the track. Every decision going against us then in the 92 minute young Paul Mills scored the winner. Scenes of bedlam. The other was a tense relegation battle at Fir Park we were 2-0 down at half time them Stevie Cowan tuns in some performance and we win 3-2 again scenes of pure bedlam.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I don't know that if put these as favourites but both were mental celebrations. Both strangely enough against Dunfermline. We played at East End Park were miles ahead at the top of the 1st Division but Andrew Waddell was the referee was being a pure cunt to us. Game was 0-0 Joe Wark injured and made him walk right round the track. Every decision going against us then in the 92 minute young Paul Mills scored the winner. Scenes of bedlam.

Funnily enough I was thinking of exactly that game too. One of the standouts from our time in the First Division.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, AllyMax said:

75-76 SC 3rd Round against Celtic and obviously, the 91 SF Replay. Both I suspect had highlights posted here many times :-)

That 75-76 game is one that I'll never forget. Amazing to  ome back from two down to win through in that tie against one of Jock Stein's great Celtic teams.

2 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

One that well and truly stuck in my mind from my early years at Fir Park was the 1976 game against Kilmarnock where the lead changed hands several times before ending up 5-4 in our favour. Why can't that happen every week?

6th_november_1976_kilmarnock.jpg

That was the one I was thinking of too. Did Jim O'Rourke score four of our goals?

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

Funnily enough I was thinking of exactly that game too. One of the standouts from our time in the First Division.

Watched a game on youtube last night from 1981 we beat Hearts 3-0 at Tynecastle. They had Pettigrew , Stewart McLaren and Peter Marinello in their ranks - all guys I loved at Motherwell so was a real needle match  and there was me and my mate as young 19 years jumping up and down like head cases when we scored. Strange to see that as an auld fart now.  Even better was to follow was last game of that season at Tynecastle if they won they were promoted with us if they lost they stayed down .. we beat them 1-0, loved that day. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Watched a game on youtube last night from 1981 we beat Hearts 3-0 at Tynecastle. They had Pettigrew , Stewart McLaren and Peter Marinello in their ranks - all guys I loved at Motherwell so was a real needle match  and there was me and my mate as young 19 years jumping up and down like head cases when we scored. Strange to see that as an auld fart now.  Even better was to follow was last game of that season at Tynecastle if they won they were promoted with us if they lost they stayed down .. we beat them 1-0, loved that day. 

I was at that game too. From memory, if Killie didn't win their game by 5 (I think) then a draw would have been enough for Hearts and when the half-time scores were announced, Killie were already 5 up. 

• Like 1

Wins against the Old Firm always stand out, especially if they involve a late winner. The wins against both at Fir Park when Brian McClair got the goals, the late Ian Ross winner, Bobby Russell's shimmy King winner, the win at Ibrox when Kirkie and Dougie Arnott scored late on, stopping Rangers winning the league at Ibrox when Owen Coyle scored twice, Skippy Sunday.

The Ray Farningham game at Ibrox also had great seethe value amongst the Ibrox hordes as well as the Scottish press.

Apart from games against them, the 4-3 game at home to Thistle when Higginbottom was winding up the Well fans was also a good laugh.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I was at that game too. From memory, if Killie didn't win their game by 5 (I think) then a draw would have been enough for Hearts and when the half-time scores were announced, Killie were already 5 up. 

I was there too. Willie Irvine had scored in the first half, and when the half-time scores were announced (I think it was QOTS Killie were playing?) the Hearts fans couldn't get at us so they started  fighting each other. We went back up the road in a bus with no windows - happy, happy days!

I enjoyed this one very much,  went to high school with a Killie fan at the time who was starting to become annoying around this time

Always going on about how great his team was in comparison to how rubbish we were,  and how great their stadium that had just been renovated in comparison to Fir Park which looked stupid etc because all the stands were different sizes

When we won 4-2 it actually felt like winning the lottery that day 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Favourite Well games of the past