Kevin Van Veen

Toxteth O'Grady

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Tony Watt scored 3 league goals in his first full season with us. Glad we didn't punt him that summer.

3 league goals in his first full season (2020/21), but it was 7 goals across all competitions and he got the most assists with 9. That is why we didn't punt him. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/motherwell-fc/leistungsdaten/verein/987/plus/1?reldata=%262020

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/kevin-van-veen-bares-all-in-revealing-interview-how-to-stop-celtic-kyogo-30-goals-and-leaving-motherwell-4115628

Kevin van Veen bares all in revealing interview - how to stop Celtic, Kyogo, 30 goals and leaving Motherwell

Kevin van Veen is one of Scotland’s most colourful characters, as well as being a pretty adept striker. His goal for Motherwell that earned them a 1-1 draw at Celtic Park was his 24th of the season and helped his team become the first to take points from Parkhead this season. And in his usual honest manner, the Dutchman explained exactly how you do it.

By Mark Atkinson
Published 23rd Apr 2023, 22:40 BST

"You need to be respectful in a certain way because they are that good,” Van Veen said. “They are such good footballers, they have an amazing gaffer and the crowd, the venue, everything is amazing here. But me personally, you need to have a pair of balls. Sorry if that's a swear word, but I mean, you have to come here and not be scared, because if you get scared they will roll you over. They smell if you are scared, they smell if you have fear so if you have the ball, you need to try things and put them on the back foot. Sometimes there will be gaps, there will be chances. I thought every time I get the ball I'm going to try something. If I lay it back – boring. I need to go the other way. So I think with no fear and a really good structure as the gaffer set us up, everything worked out the way we wanted it to."

Van Veen is a talisman for Motherwell. They have had periods of real mediocrity this season yet he continues to score. He wants 30 goals and with five matches to go, sees no reason why he can’t reach that target as he competes with Celtic’s Kyogo Furuhashi and Hearts’ Lawrence Shankland for the Golden Boot. "Kyogo is the best striker in the league. He's the man with the most brains for me, he's clever. Of course I'm trying to put pressure on but all due respect to Kyogo, he's amazing, but I need to look after myself as well. I've got five more games, 24 goals already and everybody laughed at me ... it will be good when I hit the 30 mark. I hope everybody's nose is in it, put it that way, that's going to happen because I feel good! If I put the goals in then it means I am helping the team and that's the most important thing.”

Van Veen, now 31, is out of contract at the end of the season. There was some interest in January and if he maintains this form, it is likely a firm bid will come in. Where does he stand on it? "Being honest, I love this club, from cleaner to chef. But on the other hand, because I'm 31 and I feel like I'm in my prime, I'm feeling very good. If there's someone coming in and it feels like the right step, I will have a conversation with the club and the gaffer. That might be my last chance so maybe we can all have a green light and everybody's happy because if that's the case, and they do get certain money for me, then I'm helping the club too.

"Because I'm 31, maybe they get younger people in and make a change, and I can make my own step. That's important but I would never force my way out, I'm very happy here, but on the other hand, I am getting older and if there's an amazing step for me, I would be willing to take it but it has to be all positive from everybody's side. I won't press anything through because that's my respect to this club, they gave me the chance to perform at this level.”

If he does go, Scottish football will be poorer for it – on and off the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Two comments on that article. Firstly its poor journalism as he's not out of contract this season; he's got another year to go.  Secondly he and his agent are inviting offers.

Would be a blow if we lost him at end of season . Probably get a few quid tbf .Can’t see us standing in his way if a can’t refuse offer came in . Probably one more pay day left in him and his agent will be well aware his stock has risen in last few months . 

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Ye that's what I thought as definitely said end of season earlier 

The earlier post By Toxteth where the interview was detailed in full captured the original quote re contract running out at end of this season. The official link to the article now reveals the amended, accurate information. Would not be surprised if Motherwell contacted the newspaper to point out their error. Certainly be in MFC's interest to set the record straight.

Thought KVV was very respectful of Motherwell...and Celtic.....and came across well. If KVV and/or his Agent are actively seeking to cash in good luck to them. Given his age he has to look after his own best interests.  His comments show that even if he does move on he hopes Motherwell are well recompensed. I can think of others who. in a similar situation, have been less considerate. Credit to him for that.

• Like 2

From the snippets in his interviews and the way he interacts with fans on social media, he seems like a very good dude.

If he goes I'll be gutted, but hopefully he gets a nice move and some regular European football and we get close to 7 figures for him.

I would have thought it’s a shoe in that he will move on. It’s a strange one given the amount of stick he’s taken, accused of being lazy while being the best striker in the division outside of Glasgow.

You could make a case for him being the best performing striker in the league, when you take a step back

Expectation - signed on a free from Scunthorpe, with no recent history of being particularly prolific , someone who had been in and out of the team, scored 8 league goals last season

Tactics - Often ploughing a lone furrow up front

Team - Largely struggled this season, not blessed with the quality of play makers that the other strikers in the league with a similar goal return play alongside nor a side who'll dominate possession 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would have thought it’s a shoe in that he will move on.

You're on the money Yorky. Best for all concerned if he moves on in the summer. He and his agent will know exactly what valuation we've put on his head. Hopefully his agent won't try to pull a fast one and demand a fee from both our club and the player!  Just joking. 

Its in everyone's interest that he bangs in the goals between now and the season's end if he's given the chance.

• Like 1

I think it’s inevitable that he’ll move on and no one can begrudge him that. He has been excellent for us by and large and if we avoid relegation this season then that is mostly down to him and his goals. He is a proper No.9 forward, our best since Michael Higdon ten years ago and even though he hasn’t had the benefit of playing with the same quality of players that Higdon did in that team he has still racked up a superb goals return for us.

He will be a big miss and hard to replace.

It would be great to see Van Veen playing with players the quality of Murphy, Law, Humphrey, Faddy and Higginbotham.

His supporting cast of Shields, Obika, Mandron, Morris, Spittal, McKinstry, Efford and Tierney has to be the worst group of attacking players we have ever assembled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Not even close.

Tbf I forgot Moult and Arrons blessed us with the presence of their shattered cartilages to drag it down even further.

12 months ago Burrows was telling anyone who would listen we were going with a smaller, higher quality squad......

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It would be great to see Van Veen playing with players the quality of Murphy, Law, Humphrey, Faddy and Higginbotham.

His supporting cast of Shields, Obika, Mandron, Morris, Spittal, McKinstry, Efford and Tierney has to be the worst group of attacking players we have ever assembled.

Harsh on Obika and McKinstry imo. Obika has been injured (albeit our habit of signing injury prone players this season has been ridiculous) but he made an impact when Kettlewell took over. McKinstry is a youngster who hasn’t really had a look in of late but showed some promise earlier in the campaign.

Efford I have never rated but he is clearly a better option than Shields and Spittal has significantly improved his game since Kettlewell replaced Hammell. Before that change I would have fully agreed that he merited his place in a “worst group of attacking players we have ever assembled” but he, like KvV and a few others have upped their game in the last couple of months.