ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

33 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

A Motherwell lad to 

Born and bred in Motherwell, grew up a stones throw from Fir Park, a massive Sellick fan. Not that I am taking Sligo lightly at all as we have been beaten by worse but I would have loved to have slung five or six past him tonight.

Looking forward to returning to Fir Park this evening, hopefully get the season kicked off in a positive matter, away goals don't count anymore which a bonus. I fancy us to win the game, but I'm sure we will make tough work of it.

Looking forward to the match, so begins my 36th season as a season ticket holder!

If you've been paying attention to the League Cup we've seen loads of teams in our bracket not doing very well against lower league teams.  Start of the season fitness is definitely  part of that but I also think the standard of the Premiership teams has never been lower, hence the gap in quality is smaller and the lack of creativity at the top level means lower league sides can defend quite comfortably against 'top' level teams.  St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone are all basically out and Livingston and Ross County haven't had it all their own way either.

Sligo being well into their season will make that fitness factor even more acute.  

Van Veen missing (most likely) is also a blow.  We literally don't have a player in the squad with 10 league goals for the club but Van Veen was the closest.  I'll be looking closely at Spittal and Morris to give us the composure on the ball we lacked last season. and what they add going forward.

Hopefully we get off to a good start and an early goal would settle everyone down.  However if it doesn't come I'd like to think the support can get behind the team.

Anyway, time to board the rollercoaster once again....

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Looking forward to the match, so begins my 36th season as a season ticket holder!

the standard of the Premiership teams has never been lower, hence the gap in quality is smaller and the lack of creativity at the top level means lower league sides can defend quite comfortably against 'top' level teams.  St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone are all basically out and Livingston and Ross County haven't had it all their own way either.

This is a really good point. I was looking at the standard of signings that Hearts/Aberdeen/Utd have been able to make.   The gap between them and us is also huge in terms of budget. There was always a gap but can't remember if feeling quite so stark.   The rest of us are all decreasing in quality over a sustained period of time.

All that being said and done really looking forward to tonight.  Let's get the season started in style.