ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

he goes on an on about Slattery - what am I missing did Slattery get booked - can't see it anywhere other than Lewis's rhetoric. 

I didn't see him get booked and the BBC don't have a card against his name.

10 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

Just waiting the Alexander fan club analysis of tonight's showing

Is there actually an “Alexander fan club” ?  I think there were a percentage of supporters who had an affection towards Robinson, shown even when he left. I’ve not seen any of that towards Alexander, he’s be forgotten pretty quickly if he left in my view.

What an absolutley uninspiring team that is. Awful performance lucky it was only 1-0. GA needs to change his attitude to how the game should be played. The idea is to score goals .

• Like 1

Van Veen was a waste of a shirt tonight, virtually playing with ten men with him on the pitch.  Sligo looked sharper but also worryingly more skilled as well.  We might turn it around in second leg but doesn't bode well for rest of season

Add that to the long list of absolute guff performances in Europe for us at Fir Park.

I hate, HATE European football for us, especially at home. It is a constant anti-climax and an occasional humiliation, as tonight certainly was.

Fair play to Sligo, they more than deserved their win on the night. From our point of view a season of misery looms.

That was absolutely pitiful and probably topped any of the eye bleeding garbage we had to witness last season.none of the issues from last season have been resolved,the full backs offering nothing,a midfield 3 with no pace that can only pass the ball sideways,fuck all from out wide and van veen so far off the pace we would have been as well playing with 10 men,then add in the soft goal to cost us.its.no surprise we lost that tonight because that's all this team can muster,were brutal and if we had lost by 3,we would have no complaints.

Alexander has failed to address our needs of  effectively a whole new team during the transfer window, who supports KVV? Who can take a ball n make a pass? A guy who comes on in the 80th minute (Tierney) n we still have defenders who want to give simple goals away by being half asleep, Carroll’s ball was a penalty we should have been 2-0 down, what a fecking shambles 

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

Add that to the long list of absolute guff performances in Europe for us at Fir Park.

I hate, HATE European football for us, especially at home. It is a constant anti-climax and an occasional humiliation, as tonight certainly was.

Fair play to Sligo, they more than deserved their win on the night. From our point of view a season of misery looms.

Humiliated by our own mistake.

Get a fucking grip.

Calm down everyone. According to a lot of people on here towards the end of last season, it is a necessary part of the process to go 3 months without a win to scab a couple of results and reach your target position. Alexander has got this.

• Like 1

Positives - Morris looks good, McGinn started good fell away. Their reserve keeper had a good game, we were not 2 nil down before they eventually scored Kelly again keep us in the tie early on.   Its only half time in the tie and were only 1 - 0 down.   We were the better team.

Negatives- Carroll is a bomb scare should be punted ASAP, Van Venn was a mile off the pace and should not have played, Shields is not good enough. Mugabi had a nightmare mistake again. 

Subs had no effect in play at all, 

All in all  we could not break down a pub team who sat in.

Tonight was always going to be tough.  Personal view is we should have played 5-6 friendlies to get some form of match fitness. - not 2.  

It was also clear that players would tire and by half time many were done.  Maguire, Slattery, Morris could all easily have been swapped around, 

Equally KVV shouldn't have started - he could have come on for final 30 mins.

On the positive thought the pitch was excellent and the fans were out in numbers.