ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

No replacement for Tony Watt. No replacement for Woolery.

When we were playing well last season they were 2 of 3 forwards. We haven't adequately replaced them. We are a worse team than started last season. Relegation form after Christmas looks set to continue unless we go out and get a real forward.

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

For any opposition scouting us it must be a dream as you know it will be 4 3 3.  Sadly Alexander too stubborn to admit it doesn't work. I am not calling for him to go after one game of a season but by jeez he needs to sort this mess and quickly.  We need about 5 or 6 players and we need some cleared out if St Mirren can be tempted to sign them (lol).  A big problem for me is his mannerism and attitude.  I don't expect a "hey guys, how you all doing" but I do expect a realistic assessment of a match and not a constant delusional view of a match that our fans see totally differently.   Let's hope next week can see us turn this round

Agreed,any scouting report on us could be writing on the back of a stamp

26 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

There's a lot could be said about tonight but much has been covered so won't go over that. Couple of things I haven't seen mentioned..

Spittal.  No doubt some will simply say he was "shite" but it looks like another case of square pegs in round holes. Playing on the left of a 3 man midfield and being so right footed means he was always running into traffic. Swapping Morris and him with Spittal at least cutting in further up the park could have made sense..

Tierney. A bright spark, someone willing to run with the ball and not take the easy way out and simply throw a cross into an area. Fear that we'll never see the beat of him as he never gets enough time to make a difference...

And can we please stop with the 433 leaves uou outmanned in midfield. Pretty much every side plays three in midfield. Wide players in a front three can sometimes drop back to make a nominal 5 in midfield. 433 isn't the problem, 352 isn't the problem. It's not having the players to play a formation that's the issue. As I said earlier, square pegs in round holes...

Spot on,I don't particularly think spittal is a good player but alexander said how impressed he was against us last season so then why sign him and then play him in a different position to the one that he caught your eye playing in,it makes no sense.tierney should be playing,he's the only one that when he gets the ball his first thought is to turn and go at the opposition.bang on about the formations,if you have the right players and everyone knows there role then any formation will work,we look a mess and not one area of the team looks comfortable,there's no partnerships that's formed,to be honest no player looks comfortable with what's around them.all it takes is one or two square pegs in round holes and everything becomes a mess.it looks to be like we're in for another season of chopping and changing at centre back and in midfield.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Morris was abysmal. 4 good chances completely fucked and dreadful set pieces. Shields missed an open goal from 6 yards. Tierney bottled a 1 on 1 again. Efford was a headless chicken again.

2 decent forwards or we are relegation fodder. 

You lost me at Morris was abysmal......

We would have been better with the same players as last season. 

Morris, Spittal and McGinn were pish. A lot of people ask what Goss contributes, Blair Spittal answered that question. Cornelius gives us energy and a goal threat and didn't even get on. SOD can't defend but that game would have suited him to get forward. 

The manager has a week to sort it out. If we lose to Sligo he has to go. 

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You lost me at Morris was abysmal......

Shoots a one on one straight at the keeper at a comfortable height. 

Fucks up a tap in by running towards Van Veen.

Has a clear shot in the box, takes 5 touches and doesn't get a shot off.

Demands to take a dangerous free kick and passes it back to the goalie. 

Free header straight at the keeper.

Zero end product from his chances and his crossing was worse. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Well it went as expected.

Fans can go on about Alexander or this or that player but here's the absolute truth here.

The team that's fifth in the League of Ireland came to Fir Park and not only deservedly beat us, they looked better than most of the teams we played last season.

As I've said for some time the overall standard of Scottish football and the Premiership is very low and no one should be surprised about what happened tonight.  Sligo would most likely beaten St Mirren, St Johnstone, Livingston, Hibs etc as well.

This probably won't be a popular opinion on here but the rest of us live off the Old Firm.  Without them our league set up would be on a par with the League of Ireland.  Maybe worse because they probably aren't completely deluded about the level they are playing at in Ireland.

You can sack the manager and bring in 22 new players but nothing changes until we tackle the fundamental failures that have plagued Scottish football for 30 years and are getting worse as every season passes.

I normally agree with a lot of what you post, but I cant agree that tonight looked as good as  St Mirren, St Johnstone etc. I thought they looked more akin to a championship side, which makes tonights result even harder to take.

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Shoots a one on one straight at the keeper at a comfortable height. 

Fucks up a tap in by running towards Van Veen.

Has a clear shot in the box, takes 5 touches and doesn't get a shot off.

Demands to take a dangerous free kick and passes it back to the goalie. 

Free header straight at the keeper.

Zero end product from his chances and his crossing was worse. 

And yet he was involved in just about everything positive we did by your estimation. How shite must the rest of the team have been?

• Like 4

Lots to dissect about the game tonight and I’ll give my opinion when not on my phone, but what was the song that the Well Bois sang towards the Sligo fans that got booed by the rest of the stand? I heard a few old boys shouting at them to “fuck off to ibrox with that pish” but couldn’t make it out. 

20 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Alan Burrows listen to the fans and the stats, get this guy out of our club.

Alan Burrows and the rest of the board - you have fucked up by not putting the euro money into better quality players.
Tonight showed how shite we still are, unable to break down a defence and no one with the guile to play a through ball. 
most league teams - the same as last season - will just sit back, soak up the poor crosses, high balls etc and then hit us with the one or two chances they get. 
The board’s decision’s not to spend money on the squad will see us relegated. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Lots to dissect about the game tonight and I’ll give my opinion when not on my phone, but what was the song that the Well Bois sang towards the Sligo fans that got booed by the rest of the stand? I heard a few old boys shouting at them to “fuck off to ibrox with that pish” but couldn’t make it out. 

“Sing in the chapel”pish - presumably because there Irish - very embarrassing ☹️

Ok, Ive bitten way too often than I should have already, so I suppose I should give my own thoughts and open myself to the same scrutiny.

Tonights result was abysmal and totally unacceptable in any way, shape or form.

Even accepting that Sligo are half way thru their season and this was our first competitive game, the result is still embarassing.

Sligo deserved their victory, but I didnt think they were great and probably about Scottish Championahip standard, which in itsf speaks volumes about the result.

If we had been beaten at home by the likes of Morton or Raith Rovers we would have been rightly raging.

That said, did we really learn anything new about our team?

Kelly is a good goalkeeper and kept us in it with a couple of routine but important stops.

McGinn, I thought had a decent gameand I wouldnt be disappointed to see him be our first choice right back for the rest of the season.

Mugabi has all the physical attributes to be a good centre half but consistently makes very bad decisions. Im not sure how long we can persist with that. Sol should be at least considered for the away leg.

Lamie was solid enough, although slow with his disteibution which doesnt help us build attacks.

Carroll, still gets caught out of position too often and cant stop a cross ball. He is vetter going forward, but we dont seem to allow him that freedom.

It thought Morris and Spittal on the left showed that they have a bit more about them going forward and could with time for a decent partnership.

Maguire was ok but seemed to be having to cove a lot of ground which I think is due to the 4-3-3 which leaves us exposed at times.

Slattery, started well enough and I think having Spittal and Morris in the team will help him, but he was shocking second half and wasnt one of his better days.

Shields is wasted out wide. Formation doesnt suit him at all.

KVV may be the most technically gifted player in the team, but he is selfish and lazy and if not 100% fit not worth a start.

With respect to GA, Ive had enough of 4-3-3. I dont think it suits the players we have which was highlighted with the Efford substitution which I just xouldnt work out given we had just brought Tierney on.

We need to find a system that gets all our best  players on the park. At the moment I think they are Kelly, McGinn, Lamie, Slattery, Morris, Spittal, Tierney and a fit and interested KVV.

We need a mssive improvement next week or the managers jacket will already be on a shoogly peg before we even play a league game.

• Like 1

Utterly embarrassing in the cold/warm light of day.
Loosing to largely weaker sides early on in European competition isn’t the issue - it has happened to nearly all Scottish teams.

The core issue is the management and board. 

We have been staring at a weak frontline since January and Watt’s departure and done nothing to address it. We have known we needed a centre half but allowed Lamie back into the fold (fair enough but if he was deemed surplus to requirements, why is he the best we have to offer now?). We have known left full back is an issue but have done nothing to fix it. 
We have know the formation didn’t work for 5 months at the start of the year but have done nothing to fix it. We have known that the style of football didn’t work for 5 months but have done nothing to fix it. 

The result isn’t a surprise and neither is the utter stubbornness shown by the manager. 
Get him out.

Win next week or not - we’re a fan owned club and the fans are being short changed by all invovled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2