ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

54 minutes ago, David said:

Aye, that was a nightmare.

The reasoning behind it was the club sold a load of seats to the left hand side of the main stand, then were told by UEFA that they couldn't actually do that, so everyone who had bought tickets for that area had to relocated.

People were getting emails and phone calls from the club on Wednesday and Thursday I believe, and they had to scramble to accommodate everyone. 

Not making excuses for the way it was done, but I'm not surprised to hear that UEFA were playing funny buggers. They have previous for that kind of thing.

I heard this too, but was surprised though as this UEFA "stipulation" is nothing new and has been in place for years now.  Its importnat that folk point out mistakes to the club and suggest improvements rather than just rant at the poor person behind the desk or at the end of a phone.

• Like 1

Adding to the incident when the moron threw bottle on park,Youtuber, decent English guy,always complimentary about Scottish football left 10 mins before finish as he was threatened at game,there's a few kid on hard men that need fecking sorted, yes it's minority but leaves a stain on club.

54 minutes ago, David said:

Not making excuses for the way it was done, but I'm not surprised to hear that UEFA were playing funny buggers. They have previous for that kind of thing.

Was there not some ridiculous ruling that the seat backing had to be of a certain height and our came in at like an inch too short? Plus i'm sure UEFA rank countries differently so while you might be denied using your facilities you could play an opponent who have worse and it's all right. Always find them very pedantic.

I seen on YouTube the guy that does the 'Footy Adventures' channel saying he got abuse for making his video off a lot of fans, he was sitting in the John Hunter, seems a bit uncharacteristic as he was nearer the Davie Cooper side but a real shame if true. 

I can only really echo other sentiments of the game others have mentioned so no point covering the same issues. I felt that it reminded me a lot of the Llanelli game way back when, I remember the big guy Mumford absolutely dominating from the back, all the while Gannon had us passing it between the defenders with no real penetration. You would hope Alexander has learnt a lot from last night and hopefully that extra competitive edge as served us well for the second leg.

8 minutes ago, Benson said:

Adding to the incident when the moron threw bottle on park,Youtuber, decent English guy,always complimentary about Scottish football left 10 mins before finish as he was threatened at game,there's a few kid on hard men that need fecking sorted, yes it's minority but leaves a stain on club.

The YouTuber is Footy Adventures. His content is good.

• Like 1

What really concerns me right now is the degree of agreement on these forums about playing matters. That might seem an odd thing to say but its an indication that most fans have the same concerns and they aren't being addressed, or at least do not seem to be.  Shaky defence, lacklustre midfield, powderpuff strikeforce, lack of pace, lack of bounce games etc etc. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but GA isn't the best communicator in the world and that doesn't help his cause. Our shortcomings last night weren't something entirely new or unexpected.  Its only one game, our first competitve one of the new season but many fans are already unhappy with GA. If we go out next week and have a poor start to the league campaign he'll be under real pressure.  The Board will know this.

As far as next week is concerned, do we have another bounce game arranged before then? Last night's team selection was questionable but IF GA decides to, or has to, change things for next week what scope does he have?  O'Donnell (LB), Solholm Johansen, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss - how much gametime have they had?  Even less that our first picks last night.

Absolutely appalling game. For us to play effectively a couple of bounce games only before that tie showed a total lack of professionalism and a lack of respect to Sligo and we got what we deserved. It could have been worse. 

really great atmosphere at the start and it turned really sour at the end. (And the least said about singing in the chapel chant the better…. Utter disgrace, get a grip guys FFS, thought that was left behind in the 80s) 

For me we showed nothing as a team, keeping possession in our own half and passing the ball about might make good reading on a stats table but means sod all when we show know ideas or drive to win a game of football. I still think we might get through next week but there was real damage last night and GA and his after match interviews are an absolute disgrace, the guy is lost in himself.

trying to put a minor positive spin on things, I thought Morris looks decent and mcginn looks capable. Really disappointed in spittal who looked done after 10mins and slowed everything down when he got on the ball, I hope he improves quickly. And a striker is 100% essential as there’s nothing up there when van veen isn’t fit.

As others have said, not unexpected. We've been dross since December, bar what, two results ? We were dross before December for the most part but managed to score enough in games where we were under the cosh to take the points.

Question that needs to be asked is what is the manager playing at ? Can Carrol defend the left flank ? No, so he can't be played as a wingback in a 443 because if he can't defend when he's in position, how is he going to defend when he has to go forward regularly ? Is Spittal left sided ? No, so why did he spend most of the game on the left ? Is Morris a right sided player ?  No, so why did he spend all but the first ten mins on the right ? Is Shields a winger ? No, but he's played out wide right for months now, with the same result over and over again. Why, when we've been over run in midfield since the start of last season, do we persist with a midfiled three ? if we're going to play 4 at the back, why is it a different 4 nearly every week ?

'Systems' are all well and good but sureley you have to base your system around getting your best players on the pitch doing what they're best at, rather than making them play a system that it's proven over and over again doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mio said:

And a striker is 100% essential as there’s nothing up there when van veen isn’t fit.

There's very little up there when he is fit in all honesty. I like van veen but how is he supposed to get any sort of run together when he's only fit for 1 in 2 games?  

42 minutes ago, Benson said:

I spoke to a few older Sligo fans who were superb but they were also genuinley asking if they'd be safe getting back to their transport due to the verbal venom that was being thrown at them from the "Well Bois"

I get that they are trying to create an atmosphere but the behaviour is getting too much now, 99.9% of fans just want to go and enjoy the football without getting abused and threatened.

Couple that with officials getting pelted with items and its not good enough, it makes us look terrible as a club and will cost us money AGAIN.

Edited by Mccus28
Spelling mistake

6 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

There's very little up there when he is fit in all honesty. I like van veen but how is he supposed to get any sort of run together when he's only fit for 1 in 2 games?  

Agreed, VV did nothing last night due to it being obvious to everyone in crowd that he was carrying an injury. Not good enough if we can't put somebody in as a replacement as an out and out striker. Couple of decent forwards needed quickly.

16 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

I spoke to a few older Sligo fans who were superb but they were also genuinley asking if they'd be safe getting back to their transport due to the verbal venom that was being thrown at them from the "Well Bois"

I get that they are trying to create an atmosphere but the behaviour is getting too much now, 99.9% of fans just want to go and enjoy the football without getting abused and threatened.

Couple that with officials getting pelted with items and its not good enough, it makes us look terrible as a club and will cost us money AGAIN.

Sadly there is an element in that section that is dragging the club down, I never heard the chanting as was at opposite side of stand but this needs to be stopped asap.   However I must point out the majority bring great support and enthusiasm and not an ounce of trouble, I know this as my mates lads are in that section and are brilliant lads.  COYW 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

As others have said, not unexpected. We've been dross since December, bar what, two results ? We were dross before December for the most part but managed to score enough in games where we were under the cosh to take the points.

Question that needs to be asked is what is the manager playing at ? Can Carrol defend the left flank ? No, so he can't be played as a wingback in a 443 because if he can't defend when he's in position, how is he going to defend when he has to go forward regularly ? Is Spittal left sided ? No, so why did he spend most of the game on the left ? Is Morris a right sided player ?  No, so why did he spend all but the first ten mins on the right ? Is Shields a winger ? No, but he's played out wide right for months now, with the same result over and over again. Why, when we've been over run in midfield since the start of last season, do we persist with a midfiled three ? if we're going to play 4 at the back, why is it a different 4 nearly every week ?

'Systems' are all well and good but sureley you have to base your system around getting your best players on the pitch doing what they're best at, rather than making them play a system that it's proven over and over again doesn't work.

Correct. The answer to your question is that the manager is an arrogant imposter. 

7 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

KVV is too much of a hot and cold player to put our faith in, add to that the fact he plays best when he’s got space and most teams - especially teams in a similar or lower budget as us - pack their defence against us and it’s no wonder he looks deflated most of the time. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good to see a large crowd last night but as so often happens the team let them down.

Main Stand was an absolute shambles last night and a few emails will no doubt be sent to the club this morning about it, including one from me.  I have no idea about the other 2 home stands. We got to our usual area well before kick off to find others occupying our seats. They refused to move saying they had been told they could sit anywhere - I wonder who told them as we couldn't find any stewards. This situation got steadily worse nearer and after  kick off with folk standing about looking for seats, groups being split up etc. I've seen  many games in a packed Main Stand but this was the worst experience ever. Come on MFC if the Hydro can organise larger crowds with everyone sitting in their correct seats why can't we? Stewarding was totally inadequate.

The Hunter stand also seemed overcrowded, with far, far more fans than usual standing at the back.

And while we are at it, the PA system wasn't working in the Hunter stand either.

I’ve got to be honest and this might not be popular, but I don’t like the ‘Well Bois’. Sure, they create a good atmosphere at games and I know that some of them have done some good work in the community with regards to helping with foodbanks and that is of course very commendable.

However whenever I have encountered them at matches I find a lot of them (thought not all) to be absolutely obnoxious and seem more interested in getting absolutely pished or coked out their heads than supporting the team. Then you add in the regular cat and mouse with the stewards and police, setting off flares, jumping on the park and clashing with other supports and they just let themselves and the club down. 

I know there are some good decent lads in that group but as the saying goes, “you are judged by the company you keep”.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Benson said:

My son follows him,comes across as a decent guy,great with the young boys when he visits grounds,can't see him lying,shameful

Comes across as decent guy,. Jeez didn't realise he was that near us.  I am on the video near the end,. I could have told him a few jokes.......maybe that was another reason he left early. Seriously though it's embarrassing that he had to leave early, hope it doesn't put him off coming back to Fir Park 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

it’s a disgrace Sligo fans felt like that, they seemed a decent bunch there to enjoy their side in Europe like most of our fans do.

This type of stuff though will just have a knock on effect when our fans go over to Sligo. I’ve no doubt there will be issues due to the antagonising and the “hNs without bus fare songs/chants” during the game.

i do like some of the atmosphere the bois bring but at time they are immature pains in the ar5es. Oh to be young again 

Im happy with the result last night. We could has easily lost 3-0 , one sent off and a waste of time trip to Ireland. At least we have a chance, if we go there and play positively for a change.

As happened in first half of season last year it will take a good few games for new look team to gel and get used to playing together .Then we sold Watt for the second half it all went to shite. Still havent recovered from that to be honest.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Comes across as decent guy,. Jeez didn't realise he was that near us.  I am on the video near the end,. I could have told him a few jokes.......maybe that was another reason he left early. Seriously though it's embarrassing that he had to leave early, hope it doesn't put him off coming back to Fir Park 

Are u OK?

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Too many happy clappers here trying to defend the indefensible. We’ve been absolutely brutal since December, and Alexander would’ve likely been fired had we not scraped into the top 6 and European qualification. He, therefore, rightly got the summer to turn things around. However, after going to the Partick and Sligo games, I’d suggest we’re worse than last season. He needs to be shown the door now. His arrogance and cluelessness will see us in a relegation battle. 

Again this line has been punted out for at least the last 6 years running under various managers and it’s not happened yet. Relegation certainty turned into top 6 finishes on more than one occasion.  It’s one game in and not 20, you would think reading many of the posts we were already as good as doomed. Yes it was a dreadful night and people can point to last season ( something that has also been done before) but we’ve not yet even played a league game.

• Like 1

I thought sligo were decent in wot they done last night,theyre 23 games into a season,we've had 2 bounce games,they have alot of youngsters in the shop window n it showed,their attitude n effort outshone ours,most of our team have reached their ceiling,after us the only way is down im no saying they didnt try but they didnt match sligo,all that said we still created really good chances,their keepee had excellent saves n sheilds falls over the ball fae 6 yards out,i think the tie is far from over we just need a spark n aye im shouting it again...TEIRNEY MUST START next week,i dont know who for but GA has got t find a system that gets him on the park

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Again this line has been punted out for at least the last 6 years running under various managers and it’s not happened yet. Relegation certainty turned into top 6 finishes on more than one occasion.  It’s one game in and not 20, you would think reading many of the posts we were already as good as doomed. Yes it was a dreadful night and people can point to last season ( something that has also been done before) but we’ve not yet even played a league game.

I do agree with you somewhat, I'm not one to hit the panic button early, just an example under McLeish and McGhee in the past we have stared relegation in the face going into late February/March and then enjoyed unbeaten runs which have put us in a healthy position in the league come the end of it, domestically it's so hard to predict what will happen. However I don't think people are wrong to point to last season and to point out how dreadful the second half it was, Alexander had spoke about changing the system and style but last nights performance was pretty much the same as we got in the second half of last season and that's with the inclusion of our three newest recruits and that's probably what disappointed me the most. I do feel last night will serve us well next week in regards to match fitness and sharpness but my worry is we don't seem to learn from our mistakes. But as you say personally I'll wait until the the actual league campaign kicks off before I mess my Y Fronts, it was around this time last year we added the like of Slattery and Ojala, hopefully we are able to add additional quality to the squad. We have a favourable start to the league season before it gets tough in October, it'll be interesting to see where we are then.

I want to start off by saying that I disagree with the sentiment that Sligo were the better team. They were not, they sat in and defended while we had plenty of possession. We were the better team, but that doesn’t mean we were good. Far from it. We were fucking minging, unable to break down a disciplined team who worked their arses off. The way to beat this team was to switch the ball quickly, work the overload on the wing and whip low balls in for Van Veen and the attacker on the other side to attack. The ONE time we did that Shields managed to miss from 6 yards. Our left side linked up well in the first half a few times but did nothing in the second half.

We absolutely must turn this around next week. We can’t get knocked out by a mid table Irish team. Get Bevis and Shields to fuck and find a way to start Tierney in behind a front two of KVV and another striker we sign ASAP.

Losing at home to Sligo is very poor, but getting put out the tie altogether and it’s time for Alexander to go.

Sitting in Glasgow airport just now and the Sligo squad and a ton of fans are here. Fair play to them they are absolutely buzzing the lot of them. 

• Like 5