ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

13 hours ago, AllyMax said:

As others have said, not unexpected. We've been dross since December, bar what, two results ? We were dross before December for the most part but managed to score enough in games where we were under the cosh to take the points.

Question that needs to be asked is what is the manager playing at ? Can Carrol defend the left flank ? No, so he can't be played as a wingback in a 443 because if he can't defend when he's in position, how is he going to defend when he has to go forward regularly ? Is Spittal left sided ? No, so why did he spend most of the game on the left ? Is Morris a right sided player ?  No, so why did he spend all but the first ten mins on the right ? Is Shields a winger ? No, but he's played out wide right for months now, with the same result over and over again. Why, when we've been over run in midfield since the start of last season, do we persist with a midfiled three ? if we're going to play 4 at the back, why is it a different 4 nearly every week ?

'Systems' are all well and good but sureley you have to base your system around getting your best players on the pitch doing what they're best at, rather than making them play a system that it's proven over and over again doesn't work.

Good post which highlights all of our major flaws under this manager.

10 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Alexander has 6 days to fix both. 

There seems to be a massive assumption that GA will be shown the door come Thursday if we don't turn this around.

Tbh I'd like to see that as much as most on here, however I really dont think it's as clear cut as that, given that he's been given cash to spend - (wisely, or unwisely, well that is another debate!) - and that, apart from his own contract, we'd also very likely need to pay up his whole backroom staff also, as I'd doubt any new guy coming in would want to work with the previous regime that they'd be trying to turn round.

Unfortunately, I can see us this season stumbling along, constantly looking over the precipice of the relegation / play-off spots, until such times as necessity dictates a change.

37 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Unfortunately, I can see us this season stumbling along, constantly looking over the precipice of the relegation / play-off spots, until such times as necessity dictates a change.

Or we could do what we did last season, and stumble along spending most of our time in the top six before eventually securing 5th and European football.

I'm honestly not that worried just now. I heard a lot of chatter about how clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen wouldn't be as bad again this season, but so far Hibs and St Mirren look like two clubs with real problems. 

I can see us hovering around the top six and hitting the final batch of games before the split still looking to secure that top six finish, all the while a lot of our fanbase will be moaning like fuck that we're not playing exciting enough football for them.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Or we could do what we did last season, and stumble along spending most of our time in the top six before eventually securing 5th and European football.

Yes, we could, absolutely. 

But I've been a Motherwell fan for far too long to be that optimistic.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I didn’t mean he would be out of a job, I don’t think there’s any chance of him being sacked fwiw, I meant that he has 6 days to fix both or we are out of Europe in a very embarrassing way.

Sorry, I completely missed your point there Gazzy.

Scunnered the same as everyone else after 1 game and we simply need to win on Thursday or the toxicity will mean some won't come back for a bit I feel. 

After the build up of being in Europe the march the tifo the atmosphere at start of game 90 mins later maybe even 45 later we are all in meltdown. 

The victory parades round the park after the game by players the 1st half of last season after a win seem years ago.

It looks like we are going to be playing same style as last year 433 which got us some lucky results at start but then got found out but this year imo we have a weaker team as no watt or woolery upfront so like others I a concerned. 

Regards the fans no doubt the main stand issues were poor from club but they have realised it and are going to fix it if hopefully we get another game in Europe. 

The East stand issues were from my vantage point caused by some fans being arses in the main. 40 year olds getting aggressive with younger guys asking them to sit down at start of game( it's a football match no the cinema) was the reply which I fully agree with certainly in the East stand but it got angry for a wee bit. between them. 50 year olds coming in 20 mins into game obviously had a few telling younger guys they were in their seat nearly a punch up when there was 4 spare seats together in next row behind that they eventually went in. I've heard few stories regarding similar and it happens every time our end is full and the entitlement of some causes hassle.  I also see other side of coin that" it's my seat" " I am disabled " "my child is small and can't see "etc etc but it certainly should not resort to what was happening when it's easily sorted.

Last points is regarding the sing in Chapel song and YouTube leaving early and I'll maybe get slaughtered for this but is you only sing in the Chapel really sectarian? I actually laughed at this at time and it's maybe because religion plays no part in my life whatsover and then realised maybe some will be offended by it but the young team who were singing it I don't think have the same religious undertone of the middle aged guys in West of Scotland. Certainly some of my sons pals who are Catholic celtic supporters and at game with him said they were not offended and thought it was patter.  Maybe we are all trying too hard to look for offence nowadays but there you go I may be wrong . 

The YouTube guy leaving early was disappointing as like others I enjoy his content and he comes across as a great young guy and is very complimentary about Motherwell.  I'd imagine if your letting fireworks off in street which is illegal then you don't want it publicised for everyone to see hence him likely getting asked to stop although I won't condone any threats towards him which is poor .

There you go it's all done with till Thursday and god knows what will happen over there but I'm certainly not confident but there's always hope isn't there?

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm honestly not that worried just now. I heard a lot of chatter about how clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen wouldn't be as bad again this season, but so far Hibs and St Mirren look like two clubs with real problems. 

I can see us hovering around the top six and hitting the final batch of games before the split still looking to secure that top six finish, all the while a lot of our fanbase will be moaning like fuck that we're not playing exciting enough football for them.

Or we could equally have a first half to the season the same as our second half of last, which would leave us 'bouncing around' in the relegation zone. I think that's a hell of a lot more likely than us having a first half of the season similar to the first half of last season.

22 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

A really disappointing, but largely unsurprising return to Fir Park last night. Going into the game, I had reservations about our lack of preseason friendlies but hoped we had learned from our mistakes in the league cup last summer. Clearly that wasn’t the case however and our lack of sharpness and speed of thought proved to be the difference in the game. That aside, I don’t think we were terrible - we do however lack quality in at least three key areas and unless KVV is firing on all cylinders, we don’t look like scoring from open play. 

Which brings me onto our signing policy this summer. I welcome us bringing in three steady pros but I did expect some additional quality or potential to arrival. Last summer, we brought in Kelly, KVV and Slattery amongst others - we have fallen way short of that standard so far this summer. Maybe it’s the case that we are holding out for players of a higher standard? Alternatively, has the budget been spent or, have the Board lost faith in Alexander’s signing policy? 

Off the park, things were no better. I was one of the ones caught up the main stand farce. It was particularly frustrating as the club emailed me on Wednesday to say I had bought a ticket in a cordoned off area, unfortunately the new ticket they allocated me was in another cordoned off area. As more fans in a similar position arrived, this took the shine off the pre-match countdown, which was a shame as Fir Park was looking tremendous with the new pitch and the colour oozing from the packed out home stands. The club have acknowledged the mixup today which is fine, however it points towards the office staff being spread a little thin as such mistakes shouldn’t be happening.

Across the other side of the pitch, the ‘singing in the chapel’ was a real low point of the night. I admire the atmosphere the bois bring to Fir Park, they had the East Stand looking great but such chanting undermines the positives. It was weak of the club not to call it out for what it was in their statement earlier today. Here’s hoping the Sligo fans are a little more welcoming. 

Must have been a few offended by that, wether it's not your type of humour/banter,lol,really,hope uefa don't fine us For that chant,lol

4 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Who would replace GA?

I hear an ex Motherwell player is finishing up his SFA coaching certification shortly he has International experience but would he be welcome back to Fir Park?

Scott MacDonald 

He was a great player for us but he has zero managerial experience and could start a fight in an empty house. 

If we get knocked out on Thursday it'll be Starjnan all over again. He won't be sacked but it'll be just a matter of time. 

2 hours ago, Benson said:

Must have been a few offended by that, wether it's not your type of humour/banter,lol,really,hope uefa don't fine us For that chant,lol

It was not humour to laugh at, banter or anything like that it was sectarian shite that has no place at Fir Park, or anywhere else for that matter. The club should have called them out for it. And its a sure thing that UEFA will  fine the club for whatever dickhead threw the water bottle at the linesman, again the club should have called that out as well,  I hope the culprit is identified and banned from Fir Park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kelly

Mcginn, Lamie, either Sondre or Oyala, SOD                    
          ?         , Spittal,          Slattery.         Morris

Tierney,

Van Veen

Think this is the best team I can think of, any ideas about right wing, really struggling who to put in, both Efford and Shields are guff. Think Big Bevis needs left out looked very nervy first leg. Have left Carroll out as awareness of what is going on around him is shocking. Sondre and Oyala not great but no one else to pitch in.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Kelly

Mcginn, Lamie, either Sondre or Oyala, SOD                    
          ?         , Spittal,          Slattery.         Morris

Tierney,

Van Veen

Think this is the best team I can think of, any ideas about right wing, really struggling who to put in, both Efford and Shields are guff. Think Big Bevis needs left out looked very nervy first leg. Have left Carroll out as awareness of what is going on around him is shocking. Sondre and Oyala not great but no one else to pitch in.

Agree with your approach here 

Could play S’OD in right mid in front of McGinn 

not sure what’s going on with S’OD - feels like he’s been shoved out the door 

Spoke to him, the imposter doesn’t want him in the team, think he was sold on a different brand of football to which we are now experiencing, it’s a shame decent player but not played to potential or allowed to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 3 3 hasn't worked for ages so I would go for a 4 4 1 1 to start

Kelly

Mcginn.     Lamie megaphone sol .....SOD

Spittal. Cornelius Slatter  morris

Tierney

KVV

I Know that won't happen but just my view. Feel sorry for SOD, takes so much stick but no as bad as made out by some. Is blatantly obvious Alexander doesn't rate him but mcginn is at least good replacement if SOD leaves.  It's a shame Alexander fails to recognise we have no left backs 

carroll was fuckin shite every ball up the line was  played to a whiite sligo shirt      then pointed to others as if it was there fault      iv got a ticket for next week and paid a few quid to go and took 2 days of work , and i for one will be outside FUCKIN SCREAMIN to get rid of alexander if we get beat  i am begining to think he thinks us as supporters are stupid    is aftermatch  press conferance as per we were good etc and all that shite                            fuck off graham      we got what we deserved       and if we dont score quick on thursday we are bang in bother  

and you will not be able to talk yourself with shite out of that            if come next friday we are out                then no harm to you graham     but get your self to fuck                                          

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, David said:

For whats it worth, on sportsound yesterday, yhey asked the pundits who were relegation candidates. ST j seemed to be popular choice, Jim Duffy reckoned it could be us or St Mirren ...not unreasonable , guy was giving an honest opinion. Ironically none mentioned Livi or Ross C , who must be up aginst it most years

12 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Kelly

Tierney

KVV

I Know that won't happen but just my view. Feel sorry for SOD, takes so much stick but no as bad as made out by some. Is blatantly obvious Alexander doesn't rate him but mcginn is at least good replacement if SOD leaves.  It's a shame Alexander fails to recognise we have no left backs 

i cant blame GA for not rating sod, he gave away so many cheap goals last season, that doesnt detract from the fact we need a lb too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smiddy said:

carroll was fuckin shite every ball up the line was  played to a whiite sligo shirt      then pointed to others as if it was there fault      iv got a ticket for next week and paid a few quid to go and took 2 days of work , and i for one will be outside FUCKIN SCREAMIN to get rid of alexander if we get beat  i am begining to think he thinks us as supporters are stupid    is aftermatch  press conferance as per we were good etc and all that shite                            fuck off graham      we got what we deserved       and if we dont score quick on thursday we are bang in bother  

and you will not be able to talk yourself with shite out of that            if come next friday we are out                then no harm to you graham     but get your self to fuck                                          

I’ll meet you behind the dressing room we can both get intae him 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Kelly

Tierney

KVV

I wouldn't even play a 4 i think we should go to a 3-5-2

Kelly

Mcginn Solhom Lamie

Maguire

O'Donell slattery Spittal Johnson

Morris 

Kvv