ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

11 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

One of the Academy boys whos played a few times for the first team and is better than Carrol

Sorry but a crucial must win European tie is no place to be trying out an academy player with very limited 1st team experience, so I hope he is nowhere near the team.

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Sorry but a crucial must win European tie is no place to be trying out an academy player with very limited 1st team experience, so I hope he is nowhere near the team.

Ìd rather play a 5 year old at Lb than Jake Carroll

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Must win yes ......no way Johnston will start but do we trust one step forward,two step backwards Carroll?  My opinion won't matter as guaranteed Alexander will start him 

On 7/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, AllyMax said:

Or we could equally have a first half to the season the same as our second half of last, which would leave us 'bouncing around' in the relegation zone. I think that's a hell of a lot more likely than us having a first half of the season similar to the first half of last season.

We could do. It'll also come down to how the teams around us do as well I guess. 

Simple fact is, if we're looking dicey come October or November then the board will have a decision to make, and it won't just be based on our results, it'll be based on various factors that the fans have no real insight into. 

14 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Very little 1st team experience at FP but lots of experience, and well acclaimed, at QoS.  Of you are good enough you are old enough and he has got to be better than Carroll who I think has given up since he got his injury.

43 minutes ago, David said:

Simple fact is, if we're looking dicey come October or November then the board will have a decision to make, and it won't just be based on our results, it'll be based on various factors that the fans have no real insight into. 

Given that our fixtures are a lot tougher from the start of October onwards, I think the Directors would have a decision to make before then. If we fail to perform against the weaker teams before the end of September any decision will be based on results and fan unrest. As I wrote previosuly getting knocked out the ECL by Sligo this week won't make or break GA but it'll certainly set the tone for the coming weeks. He's already lost the support of many of our fans and it won't take much more to unsettle the rest. Personally, I'm sitting on the fence but wavering right now. I'm less concerned than most by style of play, but results do matter to me and I'm looking for some evidence of progress, however modest, from last season, in terms of style.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Given that our fixtures are a lot tougher from the start of October onwards, I think the Directors would have a decision to make before then. If we fail to perform against the weaker teams before the end of September any decision will be based on results and fan unrest. As I wrote previosuly getting knocked out the ECL by Sligo this week won't make or break GA but it'll certainly set the tone for the coming weeks. He's already lost the support of many of our fans and it won't take much more to unsettle the rest. Personally, I'm sitting on the fence but wavering right now. I'm less concerned than most by style of play, but results do matter to me and I'm looking for some evidence of progress, however modest, from last season, in terms of style.  

Absolutely. It's ground zero again as far as I'm concerned. I've never really bought into the idea that managers should get leeway based on previous seasons, so qualifying for Europe last year doesn't factor into anything.

If we don't get results in the first few months it'll be an uncomfortable position to be in, and the board will need to take into account those results, performances, as well as factors we as fans don't see, such as the mood in the playing squad and what Alexander has said privately about what he can do to turn things around.