ECL Fir Park Motherwell v Sligo Rovers 21/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

27 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Fucking hell, what is Alexander on "We were the better team and should have won the game..."

Just back in it was 95 mins of shite from both teams, and Sligo took the chance when Mugabi fucked up, that's all they done, Kelly had 2 saves to make all night and both of them were comfortable. So i would not go as far as saying we were the better team but we created the most chances and fucked all of them up, so if you dont score you suffer as we did tonight. A very bad embarrassing result but it's half time and we are 1-0 down so plenty of time to redeem the situation .

• Like 2

Just now, Motherwell Daft said:

For me it has to be “taxi for Alexander”

Agree, but unfortunately he has bought himself a lot more time than he otherwise had have got had we not sneaked into the top six/ Europe last season. That papered over huge cracks.

• Like 1

GA got us to 4th in our league - anything top 6 is pretty decent so agree changing mgr isn't the answer.  Irrespective of how poor we are to watch, it's a results business. 

Equally there's a lack of credibility in his assessments.   Guys like Craigen, Fadddy and other pundits call it out  - there's a lot lacking with our approach to games and as an attacking side we really don't offer that much. We miss the bit of class that Turnbull and Watt offered. 

Like others  mentioned, tonight isn't ashock. How we'll fair against SPL time tell but it feels a long time since I enjoyed watching us.   Which is a shame as FP was rocking pre game and the fans have little to cheer about.  

• Thanks 1

Where to start....well first we aren't out, we have a 2nd leg to turn things round although it looks a hard ask on that showing.   I thought McGinn was good and McGuire in 1st half.

Now to the negatives starting with a manager who I am prepared to give a 2nd chance but his post match interview again sums up how much he insults the fans intelligence.  As for some players,

bevis - a cult figure but not good enough and clearly doesn't like us to do well in cup ties as last 2 he has cost us. 

Carroll - never been a fan and every pass is backwards, again not good enough

Slattery - I like him but jeez he was honking tonight, 4 3 3 doesn't suit him.

Van Veen - a Messiah and can do no wrong in a lot of eyes but for me is a guy that believes his own hype and spends more time getting involved with the opposition.

Again these are just my views and everyone will have their own say but for Alexander he needs to get this sorted asap , surely even his biggest fans can see that.     COYW 

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Where to start....well first we aren't out, we have a 2nd leg to turn things round although it looks a hard ask on that showing.   I thought McGinn was good and McGuire in 1st half.

Now to the negatives starting with a manager who I am prepared to give a 2nd chance but his post match interview again sums up how much he insults the fans intelligence.  As for some players,

bevis - a cult figure but not good enough and clearly doesn't like us to do well in cup ties as last 2 he has cost us. 

Carroll - never been a fan and every pass is backwards, again not good enough

Slattery - I like him but jeez he was honking tonight, 4 3 3 doesn't suit him.

Van Veen - a Messiah and can do no wrong in a lot of eyes but for me is a guy that believes his own hype and spends more time getting involved with the opposition.

Again these are just my views and everyone will have their own say but for Alexander he needs to get this sorted asap , surely even his biggest fans can see that.     COYW 

Agree 100% with this.

Slattery was on his arse more than his feet in this game. I have never seen a player fall about so much as Slattery. Cut this pish out.

Carroll, completely and utterly useless and no surprise he was booked. He is so far out of position at times its actually comical

As for anonymous Efford, Shields, Spittal absolutely dire tonight

Van Veen is so far off the pace and fitness my granny had more mobility and had more interest in the game that Van Veen who was abysmal.

As for Mugabi, every schoolboy knows if you have an attacker breathing down your neck at a high ball you boot it out the park, WTAF was he doing trying to head that back as there was no pace to carry the ball to the keeper. Stupid stupid mistakes and passes all over the park

Sligo were no mugs and wanted to win this. Streetwise and hard in the tackle, slick in the pass, retained possession when they needed and their forward was a constant pain in the arse for our defenders unlike any of our forwards. Their defenders mopped up absolutely everything we attempted (attempted as we had no game plan)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

For me it has to be “taxi for Alexander”

Followed by a rocket to the other side of the sun. He's an imposter. The writing has been on the wall since the middle of last season (at least) and nothing has changed. 

So we begin the season, full house, fancy new pitch & fancy strips....... sadly the crap we sent out onto the pitch was the same as last season.

Really, can anyone be surprised given we have only brought in 3 players to supplement last seasons imposters!

The manager, tactics and bulk of the team remain the same. You can be an Alexander fan or a hater, but the facts are that doing the same thing over & over again but expecting different results is madness!

As for the game, the first half hour we had no urgency, we let Sligo play and made them look handy. Mugabi helped them out but after they scored we seemed to up the effort for 10minutes, we were all over them. At that point i had some hope. Sadly the second half was a brutal shitfest and we could play all night and not break them down.

Lasley mustv been sitting in the main stand thinking thank fuck his new mob (who are umder pressure already) have us in the first game of the season.

The only hope i have is that if we punt GA early enough we have plenty time to save the season.

Plusses - pitch looked good, the boys display,  only 1 gosl down, new bogs in the east stand

Negatives - aside from the shite on the park, last seasons fancy new sound system didnt appear to be working/turned on.

We’ve been dreadful results wise for 6 months and dreadful to watch for 11 months. We sold our only attacking threat with pace who gave us width and kept it low key cos he thought the manager was a dick, we have signed 3 journeymen - why did people think that results or performances would change. 

Alexander’s arrogance and stubbornness will ensure he won’t change from 433  which in turn leaves us outnumbered and out battled in the middle of the park and ends just like tonight did.  The defenders only option is to hoof it as no options in midfield and no width. 

no leaders, no fight, no creativity no pace in the team - it’s all going to end badly this season .

We could come back next week somehow but it will simply prolong the agony of this poor poor squad who are being guided by an absolute arrogant clown of a man .

• Like 3

We were massively underprepared for tonight’s game. The manager may slaver that we have had 4 or so bounce games but that’s still no good.

He has also said that we need more quality up top but hinted we have enough to deal with Sligo. Absolute bollocks. Shields and efford are shite. Van Vern was terrible too and miles off the pace. 

the irony is that if we had the foresight and ambition to invest in a half decent front man tonight (prize money) would probably have paid for his annual wage.

I get that we were desperately poor all over the park but we were especially light up front.

We could also be doing with a plan B for when Plan A fails (which is happening far too often)

• Like 1

It’s a shame, as we do it time and time again, get the big crowd in to seriously disappoint. Really wanted McGuire to do well this season but he looks well off the pace, forgot he was on until my boy pointed him out near the end of the game.

Don’t know where we go from here as we have the slowest midfield in the league and tactically we are so far of the pace. Long season ahead.

Unfortunately,  that performance wasn't a surprise.  All of the problems of last season persist.

Looking at it optimistically,  we are only 1-0 down, the task really hasn't changed, we just need to win the next leg. That should be well within the capabilities of the players.

Looking at it pessimistically (maybe realistically) there was very little creativity, flair or skill on show that would suggest that we are capable of breaking down a well-drilled, energetic and committed defence. Our approach is very laboured and extremely predictable.

I think we may still turn this one around, but if we do, I have the fear for the next round.

There's a lot could be said about tonight but much has been covered so won't go over that. Couple of things I haven't seen mentioned..

Spittal.  No doubt some will simply say he was "shite" but it looks like another case of square pegs in round holes. Playing on the left of a 3 man midfield and being so right footed means he was always running into traffic. Swapping Morris and him with Spittal at least cutting in further up the park could have made sense..

Tierney. A bright spark, someone willing to run with the ball and not take the easy way out and simply throw a cross into an area. Fear that we'll never see the beat of him as he never gets enough time to make a difference...

And can we please stop with the 433 leaves uou outmanned in midfield. Pretty much every side plays three in midfield. Wide players in a front three can sometimes drop back to make a nominal 5 in midfield. 433 isn't the problem, 352 isn't the problem. It's not having the players to play a formation that's the issue. As I said earlier, square pegs in round holes...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

It’s a shame, as we do it time and time again, get the big crowd in to seriously disappoint.

Spot on. What is needed when the crowd  comes in is energy, drive, passion,  commitment and most of all entertainment.  A win would be good, but entertain those that are not die-hard fans, you never know, they may come back. A non-football performance like tonight will not encourage any newcomers back and is in danger of driving frequent attendees away.

For all those Slattery lovers and people who think Blair Spittal and Paul McGinn are a godsend hope you got yer eyes opened up tonight and the guy Morris . These players are not going to improve the team as Sligo showed them up for what they are utter dugshite . Don’t win the tie next week then Alexander has to go for the results since December and his shite interviews 

• Like 1

For any opposition scouting us it must be a dream as you know it will be 4 3 3.  Sadly Alexander too stubborn to admit it doesn't work. I am not calling for him to go after one game of a season but by jeez he needs to sort this mess and quickly.  We need about 5 or 6 players and we need some cleared out if St Mirren can be tempted to sign them (lol).  A big problem for me is his mannerism and attitude.  I don't expect a "hey guys, how you all doing" but I do expect a realistic assessment of a match and not a constant delusional view of a match that our fans see totally differently.   Let's hope next week can see us turn this round

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

For any opposition scouting us it must be a dream as you know it will be 4 3 3.  Sadly Alexander too stubborn to admit it doesn't work. I am not calling for him to go after one game of a season but by jeez he needs to sort this mess and quickly.  We need about 5 or 6 players and we need some cleared out if St Mirren can be tempted to sign them (lol).  A big problem for me is his mannerism and attitude.  I don't expect a "hey guys, how you all doing" but I do expect a realistic assessment of a match and not a constant delusional view of a match that our fans see totally differently.   Let's hope next week can see us turn this round

No sack after one game has yer mind gone blank about the run fae December he deserved sacked for utter pish his team team has served up and if we can’t compete with a team whose Budget ( big thing on this site) is well below ours then god knows where the club is heading 

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

No sack after one game has yer mind gone blank about the run fae December he deserved sacked for utter pish his team team has served up and if we can’t compete with a team whose Budget ( big thing on this site) is well below ours then god knows where the club is heading 

Mind totally fine and last season I was one of his biggest critics. But he isn't going to go after one game.  If we can't qualify against Sligo and have a poor start to season then he has to go. But I will stay positive and hope this time next week we are looking forward to next round

• Sad 1

Same manager by and large same squad of players as last season and same shite performance.  That was a real red neck of a result if ever there was one.  We are really just picking up where we left off last season. Make no mistake if we don’t ditch this manager then we’ll be playing championship football next season.