We are ready to go says Bevis

SteelmaninOZ

That's the downside of being a defender. When you make a mistake there's a good chance you concede a goal and everyone thinks you're useless.

Up the other end meanwhile, van Veen and Morris combine to miss a huge sitter (ironically also created by a defensive mistake) and it barely warrants a mention - despite also costing us a goal.

got some sympathy for Bevis. He's a big strong chap who gives his all.   What he lacks isn't learnable at this stage of his career, it's often poor positional sense or awareness of who's around him, together with being just that little bit clumsy. Hence cheap goals, sending offs, penalties will be the downside of his game.  

The mgr can see it and plays him pretty much every game.  Thats on the mgr, rather than the player. 

No question Bevis was at fault at the goal but not the reason why the whole team didn't function for 70 mins of the game. 

There was a spell last season when mugabi had improved,he was looking solid enough and there wasn't any daft mistakes but then he got punted to right back and his game was all over the place again.i was hoping we would see some improvement defensively this season and we just might but it doesn't bode to well that the first goal conceded has came from a howler already.we have umpteen defenders on the books but yet were a shambles no matter who plays,that needs sorted and quick cause we don't look like a team that will be scoring loads,all it could take is one goal to beat us just like last night.

He moves like he's wearing someone else's legs.

I think he can be an effective backs to the wall defender when we're forced deep, or when attacking corners at both ends, but when he's playing further up the pitch he's easily exposed, and he's caught out easily when the play isn't in front of him.

I'm not sure if being part of a three would be better or worse.

Let's be honest, with his physical attributes without the mistakes he makes on occasion he'd be nowhere near Motherwell. The guy is clearly a hell of an athlete, and is the physical prototype for a footballer at a much higher level than us.

It's those occasional lapses in focus that are the reason he's plying his trade with us and not down south at a decent level.

26 minutes ago, David said:

Let's be honest, with his physical attributes without the mistakes he makes on occasion he'd be nowhere near Motherwell. The guy is clearly a hell of an athlete, and is the physical prototype for a footballer at a much higher level than us.

It's those occasional lapses in focus that are the reason he's plying his trade with us and not down south at a decent level.

Dunn  another example.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, but the issue is how many mistakes can we tolerate? One or two a season - ok, but if they become the norm or a regulalrity, which they are,  then thats not good enough even for us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, but the issue is how many mistakes can we tolerate? One or two a season - ok, but if they become the norm or a regulalrity, which they are,  then thats not good enough even for us.

It's risk vs reward really, isn't it? I don't think that he's good enough to be a starter for us. I'd give Lamie and big Sol time to form a partnership, with Bevis as backup.

21 minutes ago, David said:

It's risk vs reward really, isn't it? I don't think that he's good enough to be a starter for us. I'd give Lamie and big Sol time to form a partnership, with Bevis as backup.

Lamie is the best of a poor lot but that doesn't say much. Ojala is finished; the jury is still out on Sol; and we've already discussed Bevis.  Our central defence wasn't fit for purpose last season and it isn't now. Contractual obligations complicate matters but its still an important unresolved issue.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Lamie is the best of a poor lot but that doesn't say much. Ojala is finished; the jury is still out on Sol; and we've already discussed Bevis.  Our central defence wasn't fit for purpose last season and it isn't now. Contractual obligations complicate matters but its still an important unresolved issue.

I think we also need to bear in mind our budget and the competition. As long as our defence is reasonably solid I'm happy enough. 

If Sol was Scottish and had not picked up the megaphone he would be getting hunted by the pack not suggested that he should be starting with Lambie, Lambie's next mistake will bring on the wrath of the support again. Whoever we have in defence has limitations. Its up to the manager and assistant who were both defenders to get the best out of them. 

Defence

We have a former Finish Captain and sitting in the stand, a current Scottish International sitting on the bench a Scottish International Goalie and full back playing, a Current Ugandan  international playing . What do you want  for Motherwell FC we obviously have players that have a degree of talent that's been recognised at international level, they just need to recapture the form that got that recognition.  For me we need a decent left back 

Given that we have such talent what's happening with the coaching?