ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

5 hours ago, wellfan said:

Lose and Alexander is finished before the season even begins. 

In the long run that might not be a bad thing for us…

However, us exiting at this stage to a league of Ireland side would be absolutely embarrassing and up there with Stjarnan as one of our worst ever results so we simply HAVE to turn this around next week. No two ways about it.

It’ll be a different game next Thursday and I think us playing away from home might actually benefit us. 

2-0 to us after extra time. (Fingers crossed)

32 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

In the long run that might not be a bad thing for us…

However, us exiting at this stage to a league of Ireland side would be absolutely embarrassing and up there with Stjarnan as one of our worst ever results so we simply HAVE to turn this around next week. No two ways about it.

It’ll be a different game next Thursday and I think us playing away from home might actually benefit us. 

2-0 to us after extra time. (Fingers crossed)

Big worry is we press too much and get hit on the break for even more embarrassment. Having said that, we gifted them the goal last night. We need to do better at creating clear chances and putting them away. Too many aimless hopeful balls into the box which their defense mopped up with ease. Their goalie had a few saves but all of them ones you would expect keeper to make. 

I’ll go for 3-1 to us on the night. 

Edited by texanwellfan
Optimism

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Big worry is we press too much and get hit on the break for even more embarrassment. Having said that, we gifted them the goal last night. We need to do better at creating clear chances and putting them away. Too many aimless hopeful balls into the box which their defense mopped up with ease. Their goalie had a few saves but all of them ones you would expect keeper to make. 

Sligo aren’t up to much as a side, quality wise. I think they themselves will be unsure how to approach the game next week. Do they sit in or try and kill the tie off leaving them open at the back? I watched their second leg against Bala and they were lucky not to lose at least 3-0 in 90 minutes, so they are no great shakes and they will be wary of a repeat of that against us.

From our point of view the objective is simple. We need to score at least once to level the tie so we know what we need to do. I know we are also more than capable of shooting ourselves right in the foot but despite the size of the task for us, I actually think that the players might actually feel that there is less pressure on them to perform than there was last night with a big, expectant home crowd behind them. We rarely, if ever, deliver in that scenario.

I would be starting Tierney and dropping either Shields or Morris for this one and even though I’m not a fan of him I’d be bringing O’Donnell in for McGinn as this type of game may be more suited to him.

28 minutes ago, Yodo said:

You think the board has the bottle to do that when it would have been easier to sack him last season .

That's the strategy that worked so well for Aberdeen, Dundee and Hibs last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I think they will sit in, our best chance will be shooting from outside the box and hope for a flick from the strikers or a deflection. Also along with this I’d be leaving someone up the park at corners that we can punt a long ball for him to run onto which would also require another fast player who can then try to get up to assist him. Therefore, KVV should be benched until we’re back in the game and they’re forced to come out. Some won’t like it but I’d have Teirney and Shields on from the start to try this with Morris, McGuire and Slattery all told to shoot as much as possible. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Can see a few signings before window closes and despite his baggage, Wee Griffiths would be the perfect foil for KVV but would supporters of the best wee family club in Scotland accept him I think not. 

Well to be fair, Declan Gallagher was accepted despite his past ‘shenanigans’ and it was only when he decided that he was too good for us that any of our support turned on him.

Personally I would be okay with us taking a gamble on Leigh Griffiths, inspite of his issues. He is a natural goalscorer and clearly wants to get back to playing football. It would be a gamble, yes, but so was Tony Watt, albeit for different reasons, and that worked out okay in the end. 

It’s immaterial though as it looks like he is training with Livingston, a former club of his, so it’s more likely he would join them.

22 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

So the board give him the summer then sack him before we have even played a single league game ? 

I would hope so, but it won’t happen. At the very least, however,  it’ll signal the majority of fans turning on him, and that will be the beginning of the end for him. 

34 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Yup, Aberdeen below us, Dundee relegated and Hibs oot the league cup already, let's follow their example, Not!!. This game will not define our season, will be a kick in the knackers if we don't progress, but not the end of the world. Can see a few signings before window closes and despite his baggage, Wee Griffiths would be the perfect foil for KVV but would supporters of the best wee family club in Scotland accept him I think not. 

We don't need to follow other clubs examples as a reason to put us off getting shot of alexander.aberdeen chose to get rid of a reasonably successful manager in mcinnes and replace him with a guy that will make a manager but he is the chairman's pal.hibs went for a rookie and then realised after about 5 minutes he wasn't upto the job and mcghee who has done nothing in management since his first season with us only ended up at dundee cause his mate strachan is there.i personally don't rate alexander and I think he will be gone sooner rather than later but in the grand scheme of things we don't have the worst track record of appointing managers,so when the time comes I'm sure we will be fine.

27 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

So the board give him the summer then sack him before we have even played a single league game ? 

Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today . Has to go I’m afraid and his interviews are getting worse 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today . Has to go I’m afraid and his interviews are getting worse 

If you are going to do that you do it at the end of last season giving the new guy the opportunity to bring in his own players. If the board were happy with him when the season finished why would they want to sack him one game later ? 

I think we'll find it exceptionally difficult to break this team down. They can sit deep and afford to let us come on to them,  we need the guile and skill to take on players, get past them and get balls into the box. 

Tierney is a good option to play in the hole but we'll need to change formation and erm can't see GA doing that.  

Personally I would have players like Goss, Morris, Tierney, Slattery, S'OD all playing and leave the likes of Efford & Shields on the bench Brains over braun are required, 

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

If you are going to do that you do it at the end of last season giving the new guy the opportunity to bring in his own players. If the board were happy with him when the season finished why would they want to sack him one game later ? 

The rubbish has continued from last season the bringing in quality over quantity hasn’t appeared and as u keep telling us we don’t have the Budget for better players well I think Sligo showed if your organised and have committed players you don’t need a big budget to get results . Still time for a new boss to bring in his players but of course he’ll still be stuck wae Alexander’s signings 

16 minutes ago, Yodo said:

The rubbish has continued from last season the bringing in quality over quantity hasn’t appeared and as u keep telling us we don’t have the Budget for better players well I think Sligo showed if your organised and have committed players you don’t need a big budget to get results . Still time for a new boss to bring in his players but of course he’ll still be stuck wae Alexander’s signings 

Even if we go out I'd be stunned if we binned GA. 
Season 1 - took us to safety 
Season 2 - took us to Europe. 
We'd lose credibility as a club for sacking a mgr for losing a cup game , irrespective of the standard. 

Our style of play has been horrendous since day 1, it was horrendous for the first half of last season and we extended GA's contract - because the points were on the board. 

It would take a sustained period of no results and a precarious league position before the club would axe a manager and rightly so.   I'm an anti fan of our style of play and sick to my back teeth of watching dreadful , dreadful matches but I can't envisage any change until we face potential relegation.    In reality I think we'll be somewhere between 9th and 6th in the league and its likely to be tolerated. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

That's the strategy that worked so well for Aberdeen, Dundee and Hibs last season.

Quite honestly I could not care less about those three teams. And I'm not sure any other Motherwell fan cares about them either.

My concern is only about Motherwell and the performances under Alexander. Are you suggesting we should stick with the wrong man simply because other Clubs did not see an immediate benefit from change, even if it continues to harm us ? Or are you saying Alexander is the correct man for the job? If so, say so. I might disagree but I will respect your view.  If you believe he should be given more time, then how long and how bad does it have to get? Perhaps you could clarify.

If last night had been a one off, then fair enough. Painful but fair enough. Benefit of the doubt and all that. But it wasn't a one off. Far from it.  Fans have been suffering performances like that since January, and before if folk care to be honest. When you are winning it is easy to turn a blind eye to the direction that is being taken, but when you lose in the pathetic manner we lost last night then it is impossible to ignore. And please don't confuse a lack of surprise at the result with a desire for wanting Motherwell to lose just to prove a point. I don't for a minute believe any Motherwell fan thinks like that.

I had hoped that the different approach to the last few games of last season, which ultimately secured a creditable fifth place and Europe, was an indication that Alexander had had a rethink and was prepared to amend his set up. But last night and his moves so far in the transfer market/coaching recruitment do little to support that hope for change. Neither did his post match analysis. Also his game management last night was simply a rerun of last season. How long into the game was it before he made a substitution having watched us struggle? What options has he actually given himself tactics wise? What did he do to affect the way the game was heading?   I could just about live with him being given leeway on the basis of of the achievements last season, but only as there was a hint of change. Well I suppose there is a hint of change. We are even poorer, with even less leadership.

I read in another thread a theory that folk had an irrational dislike for Alexander because he came across as arrogant and wore nice clothes. Seriously? To me that's deflection tactics by the lessening number that are still behind him. The only reasons folk don't take to Alexander are the product he is putting on the field and the outcomes on a game by game basis since January. If we were performing on the pitch nobody would care if he wore a Tutu and spoke Morningside. Success, entertainment and avoiding embarrassment are what fans hope for. And they could not really care less who delivers it.

I might be wrong but I think it is inevitable that Alexander will not last the season, even if we do win in Ireland. For the sake of the Club and the fans I would rather it was sooner rather than later, even if it does cost us financially. Surely the positives about making a change are what should be the deciding factors, not the negatives. especially if those potential negatives are based on other Club's experiences.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Like a few folk I am not in the slightest bit interested in other clubs, my only concern is for the well 

We have all had our say in past 24 hours and I think it's time to think ahead to next week's tie. We are still in the competition so let's keep the faith and hopefully this time next week we have a glamour tie to look forward to where the pressure will be off as we will be massive underdogs.... COYW 

Iv never been one of the boo boys in all the years this site has been going but honestly, as far as i can see, we are going one way with this guy and really, punting him now/afew weeks time, is going to give the next guy the majority of the season to work with. I honestly dont see any sceanario he's not sacked so we may as well do it before panic stations set in

45 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Quite honestly I could not care less about those three teams. And I'm not sure any other Motherwell fan cares about them either.

My concern is only about Motherwell and the performances under Alexander. Are you suggesting we should stick with the wrong man simply because other Clubs did not see an immediate benefit from change, even if it continues to harm us ? Or are you saying Alexander is the correct man for the job? If so, say so. I might disagree but I will respect your view.  If you believe he should be given more time, then how long and how bad does it have to get? Perhaps you could clarify.

If last night had been a one off, then fair enough. Painful but fair enough. Benefit of the doubt and all that. But it wasn't a one off. Far from it.  Fans have been suffering performances like that since January, and before if folk care to be honest. When you are winning it is easy to turn a blind eye to the direction that is being taken, but when you lose in the pathetic manner we lost last night then it is impossible to ignore. And please don't confuse a lack of surprise at the result with a desire for wanting Motherwell to lose just to prove a point. I don't for a minute believe any Motherwell fan thinks like that.

I had hoped that the different approach to the last few games of last season, which ultimately secured a creditable fifth place and Europe, was an indication that Alexander had had a rethink and was prepared to amend his set up. But last night and his moves so far in the transfer market/coaching recruitment do little to support that hope for change. Neither did his post match analysis. Also his game management last night was simply a rerun of last season. How long into the game was it before he made a substitution having watched us struggle? What options has he actually given himself tactics wise? What did he do to affect the way the game was heading?   I could just about live with him being given leeway on the basis of of the achievements last season, but only as there was a hint of change. Well I suppose there is a hint of change. We are even poorer, with even less leadership.

I read in another thread a theory that folk had an irrational dislike for Alexander because he came across as arrogant and wore nice clothes. Seriously? To me that's deflection tactics by the lessening number that are still behind him. The only reasons folk don't take to Alexander are the product he is putting on the field and the outcomes on a game by game basis since January. If we were performing on the pitch nobody would care if he wore a Tutu and spoke Morningside. Success, entertainment and avoiding embarrassment are what fans hope for. And they could not really care less who delivers it.

I might be wrong but I think it is inevitable that Alexander will not last the season, even if we do win in Ireland. For the sake of the Club and the fans I would rather it was sooner rather than later, even if it does cost us financially. Surely the positives about making a change are what should be the deciding factors, not the negatives. especially if those potential negatives are based on other Club's experiences.

Pretty much my feelings but  more articulately  put than I can  possibly muster in my present state of utter pissedoffidity. My first 'Well game was in  1962 but  I can't remember feeling so  low and frankly embarrassed about our performances in all those years. Perhaps age gives you a different perspective  but my God I can't bear to hear the manager's post-match crapola any longer.

Our squad looks even weaker than last season if anything  and there has been no move so far to address the most obvious weaknesses at CH and striker. It's not as if  GA has just arrived  in post either : he's had plenty of time to analyse weaknesses and attempt to address them.

There's a feeling of drift and powerlessness in this situation from a supporter's perspective  which I find genuinely alarming.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

We'd lose credibility as a club for sacking a mgr for losing a cup game , irrespective of the standard. 

So not only can we not change a Manager because other teams did that and did not have immediate success, now we cannot change a Manager because we would lose credibility. How about we concentrate on what is good for Motherwell on the pitch rather than fretting about what pundits with no connection to Motherwell think? Seems to me we are trying to look for reasons not to sack him rather than looking at what is good for Motherwell FC.

Others can confirm the exact figures, but what is it? 3 wins in twenty odd games? How many League wins since Christmas? And that is setting aside last night and the style of football we are repeatedly being asked to support. Recruitment appears to be another issue. If rumours are true we are on the brink of signing another back up goalkeeper whilst areas in more in need of attention are not addressed. Surely those factors are what should decide Alexander's future rather than what people with no attachment to Motherwell think.

• Like 1