ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

14 minutes ago, Kat said:

Speaking of Slattery, it looked like he pulled up in the last few minutes of the game. So hopefully that wasn't too serious, he was directing players to not play it to him which they ended up doing.

Let’s hope he is out his passing was woeful and he can’t defend . Really don’t see anything he brings to the team but have to remember i suppose he is vastly inexperienced 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Let’s hope he is out his passing was woeful and he can’t defend . Really don’t see anything he brings to the team but have to remember i suppose he is vastly inexperienced 

Out of interest who would you have in front of him? Maguire certainly marries up to your assessment but add shooting to the list.  I could be wrong as I would rather forgot Thursday but was it not Slattery that put both Van Veen and Tierney through for decent chances.

6 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Out of interest who would you have in front of him? Maguire certainly marries up to your assessment but add shooting to the list.  I could be wrong as I would rather forgot Thursday but was it not Slattery that put both Van Veen and Tierney through for decent chances.

Two chances in 90 mins sounds about right for Slattery . Dean Cornelius should be in front of the Q for a midfield spot 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Don't see bevis getting dropped, and don't think Sol is much better either. Also don't see us getting much of an opportunity to get in behind, so we may need a bit of invention, which I think is more likely from the attacking mids than from the likes of Shields and Efford.

Kelly

Mcginn Bevis Lamie Carroll

Slattery Maguire

Morris Tierney Spittal

KVV

In reality, it's going to be the same XI.

Why are people constantly putting Carroll in their side, he can’t defend, can’t mark and is a red all day long, play McGinn one side and SOD the other, they are big boys so they can adapt. People give SOD a lot of stick, but the whole defence shipped goals last season, if the manager allowed the full backs to cross the half way line we might be threatening 

14 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Two chances in 90 mins sounds about right for Slattery . Dean Cornelius should be in front of the Q for a midfield spot 

Cornelius is not yet good enough to be at the back of the Q. If he’s the best midfielder we have we are in trouble.

8 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Why are people constantly putting Carroll in their side, he can’t defend, can’t mark and is a red all day long, play McGinn one side and SOD the other, they are big boys so they can adapt. People give SOD a lot of stick, but the whole defence shipped goals last season, if the manager allowed the full backs to cross the half way line we might be threatening 

Thought SOD done well that game we had him at LB so why not again? 

• Like 1

Because he's our only available left back and by in large has been serviceable there.

Mcginn is in front of O'Donnell for one reason or another. If it's fitness, then having them both on is a no go, if it is because GA prefers Mcginn in SODs natural position, firing one over to left back and telling them to deal with it isn't clever, and reeks of desperation more than anything else.

If we had any kind of attacking threat we probably wouldn't be focusing on the defence as much.

We've got a whole season to play, I'd be very worried of the manager started making knee jerk decisions like this at this point, for a game against Sligo.

36 minutes ago, Yodo said:

My point was off the top of my head he produced two of our best chances obviously all if's buts and maybes but if Tierney shot across the keeper and Van Veen was his usually selfish self he could have had to assists to his name, out of the three midfielders playing he was the best by far tbh. 

Anyway I thought the game was so reminiscent of the Llanelli game of 2009 in Airdrie,  Jamie Murphy had missed a sitter on the line and we were so slow out of the blocks. Hopefully last Thursday has served us well in terms of a real competitive fixture.

I seen on Sligo's social media that they had mentioned they tried to extend the capacity for the game by installing temporary stands but apparently it wasn't feasible for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Who are you playing instead of him?

And no smart arsed deflection please......

55 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Because he's our only available left back and by in large has been serviceable there.

Mcginn is in front of O'Donnell for one reason or another. If it's fitness, then having them both on is a no go, if it is because GA prefers Mcginn in SODs natural position, firing one over to left back and telling them to deal with it isn't clever, and reeks of desperation more than anything else.

If we had any kind of attacking threat we probably wouldn't be focusing on the defence as much.

We've got a whole season to play, I'd be very worried of the manager started making knee jerk decisions like this at this point, for a game against Sligo.

SOD is on the Bench game after game. On that basis he must be fit enough...unless of course Alexander is playing games. If he is not fit, why is he on the bench in the first place? If he is fit, why is he ignored in games that are going against us? Games where we have no width and our midfield is being bypassed. If he is not considered good enough he should not be on the bench in the first place . Whichever applies, that should make you question the decisions our Manager is making.

No matter what, it appears Alexander sees SOD as less than a last resort. No appearance on Thursday despite a shocking team effort with no attacking threat out wide. Central players shunted out wide looks more irrational to me than actually bringing on someone who has performed well at International level in that position. Especially given the financial opportunity that is slipping away. Last season Alexander chose to play a centre back at RB rather than turn to O'Donnell. We only need to look at the Hibs cup tie to see how that worked out. And the knock on effect of that lunacy is a Centre Back whose confidence has been shattered and whose indecision is now causing us even more problems. 

So as far as I can see there is no reason why O'Donnell could not play in front of McGinn in a position he has excelled in for Scotland. Or at least be given the opportunity. In the absence of any wingers at the Club, you never know he might even provide that attacking threat you are looking for. And McGinn played on the right of a back three at Hibs so he should be comfortable in that role also. 

For me, Alexander has made it personal regards SOD. O'Donnell is certainly not the best player on the planet but he surely has more to offer than a kick about at half time. Alexander's blinkered approach is damaging our Club and I wonder who the next player will be to fall out of favour. SOD is not the first and I don't think he will be the last

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Well spotted yes we are in trouble 

Well if we are my friend, that would be pretty much the first time you will have been proven right. Let’s hope you keep your zero percent record.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

And while we are on the subject of midfielders Spittal is towing a caravan so should be nowhere near the team on Thursday 

No Spittall, no Slattery, cant wait to see your midfield.......

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

No Spittall, no Slattery, cant wait to see your midfield.......

See tbf to him both were very poor against Sligo and our midfield was poor last season Cornelius and maybe Goss should be given a chance. I feel the squad is too thin we need another Deep lying playmaker, Striker, Cb, and a Lb to even mount a top 6 charge or cup run.

Edited by thewelllfan
Spelling Mistake and missed point

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes regarding SOD other than heresay. Either way, he doesn't offer much of an attacking end product. His does tend to press higher up than Mcginn, but his crossing and attacking play just isn't there.

Managers have players who aren't fully fit on the bench all the time, and like for like defensive replacements are generally rare outside of injury/nightmares. So having an experienced player to bring on in a pinch, who may just not be ready for a full 90, can be preferable to an untested youngster in that position.

While the current situation isn't great, I think the heat has been getting to a few folks, heads gone with some of these takes.

37 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes regarding SOD other than heresay. Either way, he doesn't offer much of an attacking end product. His does tend to press higher up than Mcginn, but his crossing and attacking play just isn't there.

Managers have players who aren't fully fit on the bench all the time, and like for like defensive replacements are generally rare outside of injury/nightmares. So having an experienced player to bring on in a pinch, who may just not be ready for a full 90, can be preferable to an untested youngster in that position.

While the current situation isn't great, I think the heat has been getting to a few folks, heads gone with some of these takes.

I think that on Thursday we arrived "at a pinch". Still no O'Donnell. So he is not on the bench for emergencies.  He is also fit enough to be in Scotland squads. And bringing him on would not really have been like for like. The formation could have been adjusted to accommodate him and McGinn. With Spittal moving to his natural position as another possibility. 

Nobody is showing any attacking end product, mainly because we create very few decent chances. I think playing in his proper position, with McGinn behind him,  SOD might provide a few more of those opportunities. And maybe if that were the case Van Veen could get on with what he is good at.

As it is we are stuck with the likes of Carroll. McGinn or numerous central players pushed out wide attempting to play decent passes into our strikers. Given that the situation has been dire since January I think SOD is worth a try. Alexander clearly thinks otherwise so I suppose we just carry as has become the norm.  What a sad prospect. If he is not going to play him I just wish Alexander would just leave O'Donnell sitting in the stand.

There's no doubt odonnell is a solid enough spl player but over the peace he's been largely disappointing for us but having said that the signing of mcginn didn't make a great deal of sense as I think there both of a similar level.if odonnell isn't in the first team plans then we should be doing everything we can to move him on,there's no point in having what must be one of our highest earners sitting on the bench whilst we play a player of equal standard.our full back options really are dire.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

SOD is on the Bench game after game. On that basis he must be fit enough...unless of course Alexander is playing games. If he is not fit, why is he on the bench in the first place? If he is fit, why is he ignored in games that are going against us? Games where we have no width and our midfield is being bypassed. If he is not considered good enough he should not be on the bench in the first place . Whichever applies, that should make you question the decisions our Manager is making.

No matter what, it appears Alexander sees SOD as less than a last resort. No appearance on Thursday despite a shocking team effort with no attacking threat out wide. Central players shunted out wide looks more irrational to me than actually bringing on someone who has performed well at International level in that position. Especially given the financial opportunity that is slipping away. Last season Alexander chose to play a centre back at RB rather than turn to O'Donnell. We only need to look at the Hibs cup tie to see how that worked out. And the knock on effect of that lunacy is a Centre Back whose confidence has been shattered and whose indecision is now causing us even more problems. 

So as far as I can see there is no reason why O'Donnell could not play in front of McGinn in a position he has excelled in for Scotland. Or at least be given the opportunity. In the absence of any wingers at the Club, you never know he might even provide that attacking threat you are looking for. And McGinn played on the right of a back three at Hibs so he should be comfortable in that role also. 

For me, Alexander has made it personal regards SOD. O'Donnell is certainly not the best player on the planet but he surely has more to offer than a kick about at half time. Alexander's blinkered approach is damaging our Club and I wonder who the next player will be to fall out of favour. SOD is not the first and I don't think he will be the last

GA has form falling out with players. Ask Watt.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

PS if fans arent happy, why shouldnt they complain? We are a fan owned club after all....

Again, look at my entire post and take that comment I made in context. I posted our overall results and accomplishments over the past five to ten years just before I said it, which should have provided the context.

Our fans have nothing to complain about in the main. Do they have the right to moan about the football played last season? Sure. That's their call. 

But as a club we've had more good and even great seasons than terrible. Last season wasn't great, but there have been circumstances involved outwith the manager and clubs control which have been mentioned in the past, but a lot of fans simply don't want to hear about those because it would mean cutting the club and manager some slack.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, dennyc said:

Although our views are polar opposites regarding Alexander, I found myself agreeing with your post until I got to the two sentences quoted above. How insulting to those who pay good money following Motherwell home and away and have the best interest of Motherwell at heart . Even the majority of the fans who are backing Alexander have expressed legitimate concerns regards performance (you included). And many of them are now voicing them more vehemently.  The difference is a number are prepared to bear with him in the hope of improvement. And I don't quite get how MUCH of our fanbase are spoiled. Surely they are ALL either spoiled or not. And if I am being spoiled, god knows how down I would feel if I was actually being hard done to.

Do you also stand by your reasoning as to why many Motherwell fans are anti Alexander?  ie his dress sense and his manner as opposed to his style of football. 

Again, see my point above. How many outright terrible seasons have we had over the past five to ten years? Despite the bleating almost every single year about how we're surefire relegation candidates, how many actual relegation fights have we been in? 

And yes, much of our fanbase is spoiled. Many of the younger generation have known only the results of the past ten years or so. They didn't live through the administration years or some of the absolute guff we've seen at Fir Park in the years before. They're used to seeing a club that finishes in the top four (even finishing 2nd!) and playing in Europe fairly regularly.

And on your final point, I do stand by that. I've seen it said often enough on social media as far back as the start of last season. 

10 hours ago, dennyc said:

Wait, wasn't there strong calls for O'Donnell to be dropped in favour of Mugabe playing out wide in his position last season? Remember? He was supposed to be terrible, it was a farce that he even got called up for Scotland? Now that the manager has dropped O'Donnell and brought in someone else we're suddenly wanting him back in the team?

• Like 2