ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

13 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Sorry about the late reply to this post, but just stopped laughing at the thought of us relying on that team to get us through. Did you use your on TombolaĀ :dontknow:

Doesn't everyone ?

Why not this team to start with ?

On 7/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, David said:

No, I'm not saying the fans should be happy about the standard of football last season, but I don't think we have anything to complain about in the main.Ā 

It might just be me, but I don't actually pay money to come to Fir Park and be entertained by the style of football. I come to Fir Park to see us win. How we do that matters not a jot to me. Entertainment is a bonus.Ā If I want entertainment I'll watch the English Premiership on telly. I'm certainly not expecting to get entertainment from the level of football we see in Scotland.Ā 

I watch Motherwell because I have an emotional investment in the club and the outcomes of the matches. If I was just looking for entertainment I'd spend my money elsewhere.Ā 

I'm almost the polar opposite of that. If I was that bothered about winning then I'd support a team that won things. I fully understand the whole "it's the result that matters" attitude, it's just not for me. If it's just the result that matters then I'll just check the result and spend my time and money doing other things. If you want me to actually come and watch, and pay a relatively high amount of money to do so, then you have to give me something to watch.

For me, entertainment isn't tied to the level of football being played. I can walk round to my local public park and watch games that are very entertaining, but that doesn't mean they are EPL level. On a similar note, I got rid of Sky Sports a couple of years back because the majority of EPL games were eye-bleachingly boring and unentertaining.

Again, not a comment on anyone being right or wrong, just an illustration of what different people are looking for from their matchday attendance. I fully agree that peoples jobs aren't linked to whether or not I'm enjoying myself or not though. And the exact reason for that is because of the above...there's not a concensus of opinion. For every person who is bored out of their mind watching the team at the moment, there's another one who is only interested in results and relative achievements, and no-one's getting the sack for only appealing to half the customers.

• Like 9

I think what gets people just now is that both results and entertainment are not where we would like them to be,Ā so basically everyone is pissed off. Ā InĀ addition to that, again IMHO, there seems to be no effort or plans to address any of the two issues, which makes people even more annoyed. The earlierĀ problems are addressed then the more chance we have of avoiding relegation dog fight. Probably a vast range of opinions as to how long do you wait before deciding that a drastic change in approach is required. I really hope the manager is able to start producing results and more entertaining football starting tomorrow. I want to see him succeed. If results and performances continue as per the last while then letā€™s hope the board are able to make the right decisions at the right times. Either way, COYW!! Ā  just win on Thursday and get our arses into the next round.Ā 
Ā 

My son just texted me pic of Coral betting slip, 10 pounds on Motherwell to go through. His friend literally just arrived in Glasgow a couple of hours ago and heā€™s already had him go to the bookies for him. Weā€™ll be arriving Tuesday so Iā€™m really hoping his bet comes up so I can finally get to see us play in a European tie. COYW!

Edited by texanwellfan
More optimism
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I think what gets people just now is that both results and entertainment are not where we would like them to be,Ā so basically everyone is pissed off. Ā InĀ addition to that, again IMHO, there seems to be no effort or plans to address any of the two issues, which makes people even more annoyed. The earlierĀ problems are addressed then the more chance we have of avoiding relegation dog fight. Probably a vast range of opinions as to how long do you wait before deciding that a drastic change in approach is required. Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

You make a great point. Ā Just listened (tried to listen) to the pre match interview and the gaffer mentions more than once there's no need to change. Just need to be a bit sharper and ruthless.Ā 

There's no question in his mind that our approach to games is right,Ā Ā it served us well last season hence being in Europe.Ā 

And SighĀ :banghead:

18 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

You make a great point. Ā Just listened (tried to listen) to the pre match interview and the gaffer mentions more than once there's no need to change. Just need to be a bit sharper and ruthless.Ā 

There's no question in his mind that our approach to games is right,Ā Ā it served us well last season hence being in Europe.Ā 

And SighĀ :banghead:

You know what, Iā€™ll give him the benefit of the doubt and agree with his perception that itā€™s ā€œfine marginsā€ ā€¦ā€¦..BUTā€¦ā€¦.. the whole point is, adopt a different better approach/system so that games do not get decided based on fine margins. We need to be playing whereby if the ā€œfine marginā€ things donā€™t go ourĀ way, weĀ still win the game or at least donā€™t get beat.Ā 

5 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Because its really a shite line up and doesn't offer anything, oh and Bevis is still in it.Ā 

Nearly every post is about the fact we need to change team but very few say what team they would play they just wait to criticise anyone who doesĀ 

• Like 3

Everyone has their own opinions on starting line ups and formations which is fair do's,, would be boring if we all had the same thoughts. I know the team I would like tomorrow but it will be hee haw near what Alexander picks. Qualifying is the priority but to do it with a good performance would be a good startĀ 

33 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Aye your right, can just hear Alexander tomorrow 'Chris how are we going to sort the team for tonight' Chris 'No problem just pick andalg,s team' Alexander pissing himself laughing, NAW'. Gies a break, what you or anyone else on her thinks has no bearing on team selection, but it fair gives me a laugh reading all you keyboard managers. Probably never kicked a ball in yir life.Ā 

Your still a fud i see

• Like 6

I've been reading the comments from Sligo fans the past few days and they seem to think this game will be a foregone conclusion. Obviously I would take any win just to get us through but I hope we actually pump them silly. It'll be no doubt a tough nut to crack as they defended really well after they took the lead but in saying that they did have a few shaky moments when pressed. Ā The time wasting was something else, I know Scottish Football is terrible for it these days but we could have learnt a lesson from them, so my worry on that front is the longer it stays 0-0 we will see a repeat of that. I actually think last week will have served us well on the match sharpness front, you would hope Alexander will have learnt a thing or two, it'll be interesting to see what the team lineup will be tonight but it wouldn't surprise me to see the exact same eleven start.

Does anyone remember from last week if KVV created or had a chance at goal,im struggling t think of any,he cant possibly go another game wi that stat.hopfully the "knock" has cleared up n hes another week fitter/sharper. I fancy a punt at 6/4 on us t qualify but ill wait for the line up b4 i throw my hard earned cash at that

5 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Does anyone remember from last week if KVV created or had a chance at goal,im struggling t think of any,he cant possibly go another game wi that stat.hopfully the "knock" has cleared up n hes another week fitter/sharper. I fancy a punt at 6/4 on us t qualify but ill wait for the line up b4 i throw my hard earned cash at that

He was slipped through on goal in the first half, instead of taking a pop at goal from an angle he choose to tee up Morris who didn't seem to be expecting it he ended up messing it up. Frustrating though as Double V usually has that selfish way about him and if that was last season he would have taken it on himself. He did look really sluggish and a guy who was struggling but like you say hopefully he's much fitter and sharper this week and looking to celebrate that contract extension.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pretzel said:

He was slipped through on goal in the first half, instead of taking a pop at goal from an angle he choose to tee up Morris who didn't seem to be expecting it

Certainly wasn't the telepathic understanding you'd have hoped for, given how much they've played together before.

49 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I've been reading the comments from Sligo fans the past few days and they seem to think this game will be a foregone conclusion. Obviously I would take any win just to get us through but I hope we actually pump them silly. It'll be no doubt a tough nut to crack as they defended really well after they took the lead but in saying that they did have a few shaky moments when pressed. Ā The time wasting was something else, I know Scottish Football is terrible for it these days but we could have learnt a lesson from them, so my worry on that front is the longer it stays 0-0 we will see a repeat of that. I actually think last week will have served us well on the match sharpness front, you would hope Alexander will have learnt a thing or two, it'll be interesting to see what the team lineup will be tonight but it wouldn't surprise me to see the exact same eleven start.

I do think we were ill-prepared.Ā  Mock the level of LOI game if we wish, but they are 20+ competitive games into their season while we've had a bounce game against a bunch of amateurs and a training camp stroll. Where's the preparation in thatĀ  ?

2 minutes ago, Lord Tanamo said:

I do think we were ill-prepared.Ā  Mock the level of LOI game if we wish, but they are 20+ competitive games into their season while we've had a bounce game against a bunch of amateurs and a training camp stroll. Where's the preparation in thatĀ  ?

I'd certainly agree our approach to the game was lacking, we done that with Llanelli in 2009 where we played one bounce game days earlier against Rhyl before getting beat in the Euro tie. I was led to believe that the team we played in Austria were a second tier team and not amateurs that we first thought, even so it wasĀ still not nearly enough prep. I think if we were even a handful of games into our league season you'd be looking at a different result tbh.Ā 

11 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Same old

Just out of curiosity, what do you want him to say? With very few exceptions I've found virtually every manager media interview for most clubs through the years to beĀ bland, by-the-book comments.

Of course, we all know that what he says to the media in public and what he's saying to the players in the dressing room is entirely different.Ā 

On 7/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, steelboy said:

We had finished bottom six and got into Europe via fairplay so probably not much more.Ā 

We've had 5 wins in 7 months, St Mirren,Ā  Ross county, Hearts, the Austrian 3rd division mob and Partick ThistleĀ 

1 hour ago, David said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you want him to say? With very few exceptions I've found virtually every manager media interview for most clubs through the years to beĀ bland, by-the-book comments.

Of course, we all know that what he says to the media in public and what he's saying to the players in the dressing room is entirely different.Ā 

Always respect your views David even though our views of Alexander are different. I just find his interviews difficult to listen to as he doesn't seem to accept that his tactics aren't working and fact he seems to think we created a lot of good chances. At end of the day give me a scrappy 2-0 win tonight and progress to the next round

We need to win this one. Simple as.Ā 

I'm definitely a happy clapper, one of life's optimists and willing to give players and managers a chance to turn things around far past the point its sensible but if we don't win this Alexander is doomed for this season. The mood is against him in a way that last seasons league finish isn't going to placate.

A win here and a good performance next round is the minimum to give him time and then a good league opening and a league cup run makes him unsackable. Which I'm happy enough with, results that make the manager unsackable are great for me.

24 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Always respect your views David even though our views of Alexander are different. I just find his interviews difficult to listen to as he doesn't seem to accept that his tactics aren't working and fact he seems to think we created a lot of good chances. At end of the day give me a scrappy 2-0 win tonight and progress to the next round

The thing is, I think he knows exactly what our shortcomings are, he just doesn't seem to let much on in his interviews. Which is fair enough. As I said, I fully expect that his views and discussions behind closed doors with the board and the players are very different to what he's telling the media in pre and post match interviews.

I take everything a manager or player says in the media with a wheelbarrow full of salt.

15 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Aye your right, can just hear Alexander tomorrow 'Chris how are we going to sort the team for tonight' Chris 'No problem just pick andalg,s team' Alexander pissing himself laughing, NAW'. Gies a break, what you or anyone else on her thinks has no bearing on team selection, but it fair gives me a laugh reading all you keyboard managers. Probably never kicked a ball in yir life.Ā 

Proved my point !

4 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

The limited signings suggest otherwise

I think most fans would rather we brought in quality over quantity, which means we'll have to wait until the right players become available. I'm thinking that once the clubs further up the pecking order finalise their own signings and decide who's being allowed out on loan and let go we might see some more movement.