ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

3 minutes ago, David said:

I think most fans would rather we brought in quality over quantity, which means we'll have to wait until the right players become available. I'm thinking that once the clubs further up the pecking order finalise their own signings and decide who's being allowed out on loan and let go we might see some more movement.

Most fans also recognise that our starting 11 is horrifically short on quality. Keeper aside.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Always respect your views David even though our views of Alexander are different. I just find his interviews difficult to listen to as he doesn't seem to accept that his tactics aren't working and fact he seems to think we created a lot of good chances. At end of the day give me a scrappy 2-0 win tonight and progress to the next round

We may have had a fair few shots at goal but I would not agree with him that we created “a lot of good chances”.  We should have enough to still get through to the next round but we need to up the performance make chances and most importantly convert those chances into goals. Stay focused, don’t panic and no stupid mistakes. COYW! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Most fans also recognise that our starting 11 is horrifically short on quality. Keeper aside.

You think so? Not sure I agree with that to be honest.

I think we have the makings of a good team, especially with the "dead wood" that's been moved out. A few additions of starting-place quality and we'll be good to go I think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, David said:

You think so? Not sure I agree with that to be honest.

I think we have the makings of a good team, especially with the "dead wood" that's been moved out. A few additions of starting-place quality and we'll be good to go I think.

I agree, we do have makings of a good squad and team if we played them in their natural position and a formation that suits them.  I reckon we need say 4 or 5. A left back is essential, 1 or 2 centre halves, a central midfielder and definitely another central striker

41 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I agree, we do have makings of a good squad and team if we played them in their natural position and a formation that suits them.  I reckon we need say 4 or 5. A left back is essential, 1 or 2 centre halves, a central midfielder and definitely another central striker

So half a team

I agree with the positions that you think need strengthening but barring any injuries I think we might only add to our forward line.if ojala is crocked again then we might need to bring in another centre half but I wouldn't be surprised we use mcginn there and play odonnell.mcginley is injured but not sure what's up with him,if he's out for a while then we need a left back,ideally one that's better than carroll.central midfield is still a conundrum,we could have 10 players to pick from and nothing would change,we would still play the same way,we have decent enough midfield players for the level we play at but the manager needs to start being more attack minded and not just having a midfield 3 where not one of them offers a threat going forward.a big part of our problem stems from not having midfield runners,last thursday was a casing point,it was just far to boring and predictable,if we had midfielders getting forward it would change the whole flow of the game and get the opposition thinking if nothing else.

• Like 1

We have 7 guys on the books who have played CH,why would he sign anymore,I'll say it again"we dont have a bad squad,we have a bad system"the space inbetween our lines is too big n is easy t break through with a quick one-two in n out of midfield t wing backs then our MF 3 just get swamped by oppositions 4/5,i know the defence has t sit off a bit as we dont have the pace for the ball over the top,we found that out a couple of times last week,we need a 10 in the hole t cut out the first ball(he did it against hearts 2nd last game)n we need the security of someone holding in front of the defence if we were t play a 3,im sure it looked like maguire was playing that last week,if so it didnt work,id have deano there for his aggresion n work rate n the fact hes one of our own n he knows wot this game means t all of us..a little over 3 hours n we shall c...COYW

Ojala makes the bench. I wonder if Tierney is on the wing or if he’s in behind a front two of Morris and KVV, I suspect it’s the former. If so I feel he’s a wee bit wasted on the wing, but then again Morris ain’t a striker so at least one of them will be out of position. 

Do i sense he has tinkered wi the formation..my thinking is u just wouldnt waste tierney wide right u would just play shields for that KVV up top wi 2 playing off him,or even morris n KVV central wi tierney in behind let the fullbacks push on n get crosses in,it does look a promising lineup although as someone has said its only one change fae last week

7 hours ago, pretzel said:

I'd certainly agree our approach to the game was lacking, we done that with Llanelli in 2009 where we played one bounce game days earlier against Rhyl before getting beat in the Euro tie. I was led to believe that the team we played in Austria were a second tier team and not amateurs that we first thought, even so it was still not nearly enough prep. I think if we were even a handful of games into our league season you'd be looking at a different result tbh. 

Summer football in Scotland perhaps. Let's face it, most euro countries on the same latitude as us have it. 

From the friendlies point of view, apparently there was at least one lined up but they cancelled, according to comments made by Alexander. So it may not be a lack of trying.

Anyway on tonight I hope we come back with a win but we need better performance than last week for that to happen.

4 hours ago, David said:

I think most fans would rather we brought in quality over quantity, which means we'll have to wait until the right players become available. I'm thinking that once the clubs further up the pecking order finalise their own signings and decide who's being allowed out on loan and let go we might see some more movement.

The league campaign should always be the priority. It's those 38 games you measure your season not a couple of Europa Conference matches in July.

If we need to hold off, that's what we should do.

Tonight, I think it's possible we can turn it round tonight and extra time and penalties might well be the outcome but I think the most likely result is we will go out.  Maybe 60/40 or something along those lines in favour of Sligo.