ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

26 minutes ago, bladesman said:

Have to agree with everything Craigan has said.

these players have to have a long hard look at themselves and that goal should be the one that puts Alexander out the door… PLEASE!!!

Craggs was only positive about tonight, talked so much sense the whole match 

37 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I don’t see them making the change after two European games and on the eve of the league season starting, rightly or wrongly.

If and when the time comes that the majority of the support become vocal in calling for him to go at games like they did with Malpas and Baraclough or protesting outside the front door as they did with McGhee then I believe the board will act then. I don’t think we’re too far away from this happening.

Again with the "two European Games" nonsense. Have you not seen us at all in 2022? To those who have, the result tonight and last week was no real surprise.

Even Alexander's two staunchest supporters are noticeably quiet tonight. So on that basis you appear to be fighting a lone battle, Don't think you will get much support either from the lucky 300 who were there tonight. Or the fans watching in Sligo pubs. Is that majority enough for you?

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Huge issue is that sacking the manager doesn't solve the issue. The club have allowed him to assemble a squad with no reliable central defenders, no wingers and no reliable centre forward. Doesn't bode well for the goals for or against columns. He has to go but we've allowed him to decimate the squad already. ..

I think another manager could do a better job with the same players. 

Just now, texanwellfan said:

Exactly this. and we cannot afford to wait any longer. Tactically it cannot be any worse than what Alexander continues to dish up. I really do feel sorry for a good few of those players. They deserve better as well.

The Board have a problem.

1 minute ago, dennyc said:

Again with the "two European Games" nonsense. Have you not seen us at all in 2022? To those who have, the result tonight and last week was no real surprise.

Even Alexander's two staunchest supporters are noticeably quiet tonight. So on that basis you appear to be fighting a lone battle, Don't think you will get much support either from the lucky 300 who were there tonight. Or the fans watching in Sligo pubs. Is that majority enough for you?

No I’m not trying to use the “two European games” excuse, I know we’ve been dismal for the entire calendar year and longer. Like it or not the board aren’t going to sack a manager who (on paper) has more than matched his remit and got us into Europe after two European legs into the new season and before a league ball has been kicked. 

But trust me when I say this, if Graham Alexander left tonight then I would be happy with that.

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Huge issue is that sacking the manager doesn't solve the issue. The club have allowed him to assemble a squad with no reliable central defenders, no wingers and no reliable centre forward. Doesn't bode well for the goals for or against columns. He has to go but we've allowed him to decimate the squad already. ..

Sadly that's absolutely true,we wouldn't be out the woods by changing manager as the squad is yet again an unbalanced mess,hopefully any new manager coming in would be able to coach us properly for starters,that might be enough to get us going in the right direction atleast.

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

These players are making basic errors in defence, in attack the crosses are dreadful. I'm not defending Alexander. For me, he's responsible for a group of players who simply aren't good enough...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Sadly that's absolutely true,we wouldn't be out the woods by changing manager as the squad is yet again an unbalanced mess,hopefully any new manager coming in would be able to coach us properly for starters,that might be enough to get us going in the right direction atleast.

I know Robinson used to get criticism for his anywhere across the front 3 signings but you at least felt he had some sort of plan in place.

We haven’t signed a left back despite it being the weakest area of a very weak team, instead bringing in a right back when we already have a current international in place (albeit he’s not played like an international player for us) and where we have a promising youngster waiting to come through.

We’ve signed 2 centre halves in his time only to end up with the same pairing as we had when Robinson eventually ran out of energy to replace the team each preseason.

Weve signed Tierney despite us not playing a system in which he fits, we’ve never replaced Watt and possibly worst of all we actually paid money for Efford

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

These players are making basic errors in defence, in attack the crosses are dreadful. I'm not defending Alexander. For me, he's responsible for a group of players who simply aren't good enough...

Agree, but I still stand by my comment.  As has been mentioned in other posts that might reduce if we play players in the right positions. 

I think a new manager might play the players in their best positions. Which would be a start.
Morris clearly very left footed, but being played on the right, preventing him getting down the line and putting crosses in.
Continually had to try and awkwardly dribble with his left and/or cut inside.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

No I’m not trying to use the “two European games” excuse, I know we’ve been dismal for the entire calendar year and longer. Like it or not the board aren’t going to sack a manager who (on paper) has more than matched his remit and got us into Europe after two European legs into the new season and before a league ball has been kicked. 

But trust me when I say this, if Graham Alexander left tonight then I would be happy with that.

Until tonight I tended to agree that Alexander would stay, even after last week. Not what I wanted but realistic. But the lack of any sign of a new approach tonight makes me think the Board cannot afford to keep the faith.

Our League is unforgiving and unless we pick up early points I fear we could be cut adrift. Again, not just on the past week or so, but our performance since Christmas. Only two teams won less league games in that time. Dundee are gone. The other was Aberdeen. 

3 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

I know Robinson used to get criticism for his anywhere across the front 3 signings but you at least felt he had some sort of plan in place.

We haven’t signed a left back despite it being the weakest area of a very weak team, instead bringing in a right back when we already have a current international in place (albeit he’s not played like an international player for us) and where we have a promising youngster waiting to come through.

We’ve signed 2 centre halves in his time only to end up with the same pairing as we had when Robinson eventually ran out of energy to replace the team each preseason.

Weve signed Tierney despite us not playing a system in which he fits, we’ve never replaced Watt and possibly worst of all we actually paid money for Efford

You make some really good points there.there is no plan in how we go about things,it's like take to the field and see what happens,what do we actually do all week at training as there's zero evidence of anything on a matchday.the left back issue has annoyed me for a while any manager that re-signs carroll and McGinley should be shown the door for that alone,carroll's performance again tonight was pitiful.unless we have been trying to move odonnell on then the signing of mcginn makes no sense as he isn't any better,all we have succeeded in doing is having one of our highest earners sitting on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

Morris clearly very left footed, but being played on the right, preventing him getting down the line and putting crosses in.

I think morris will be one of they players come the end of the season,we won't be any wiser what his best position actually is.he reminds me a bit of craig tanner,we might get something out of him in the number 10 position but he can't be played in the front 3,he's got no pace and can't beat a man,like you said it's awkwardly trying to get himself into a position,it's all very stop start having him playing where he is.

9 minutes ago, Richie said:

Morris clearly slow as a week in the jail preventing him from getting down the line and putting crosses in...

8 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Until tonight I tended to agree that Alexander would stay, even after last week. Not what I wanted but realistic. But the lack of any sign of a new approach tonight makes me think the Board cannot afford to keep the faith.

I honestly don’t see the board removing him between now and Sunday, he will get the start of the league campaign, whatever anyone thinks IMO.

However I think he’s past the point of no return with the fan base now and if we have a poor result against St.Mirren then the knives are going to be well and truly out for him in the first home game a week on Saturday. I think we could well be looking at a repeat of that May ‘07 2-3 St.Mirren game under Malpas. Listening to his interview on Radio Scotland it sounded like he was getting verbal from at least one Motherwell fan, so much so that Al Lamont apologised and asked him if he was okay to continue at one point.