ECL Sligo Rovers v Motherwell 28/7/22

wellfan

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That result just highlights how feckin bad and embarrassing we were last weeks, that's what we should have done to them, cost the club a fortune 

Worth pointing out that Viking are 17 league games into their season. So had played 19 competitive matches before tonight !

Does not take away from our insipid displays and under preparation but no chance Sligo were catching Viking cold…..

• Like 1

What baffles me Is why don’t we in Scotland start our season earlier and benefit from being 20 games into our season 

lots of Scottish teams get pumped year in and out - I’d be a fan of finishing the season on Jan and starting back March /April 

summer football - yes please 

downside is the risk on international tournaments - I can live with that risk 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

What baffles me Is why don’t we in Scotland start our season earlier and benefit from being 20 games into our season 

lots of Scottish teams get pumped year in and out - I’d be a fan of finishing the season on Jan and starting back March /April 

That would be a great idea to improve the game in Scotland but it will never happen. The cosy wee cliques that run the SFA are so intent on copying the FA in England there is no chance of a proposal like that being adopted.

In all honesty I think the SFA don't give a feck about clubs like Motherwell etc getting knocked out of Europe  before most teams are back their holidays, they are quite happy to do all in their power to keep the ugly sisters happy as they keep the coefficient up, and typically have extended runs in Europe every season, so as long as 2 clubs are happy the other 10 premiership clubs get no help at all.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That would be a great idea to improve the game in Scotland but it will never happen. The cosy wee cliques that run the SFA are so intent on copying the FA in England there is no chance of a proposal like that being adopted.

In all honesty I think the SFA don't give a feck about clubs like Motherwell etc getting knocked out of Europe  before most teams are back their holidays, they are quite happy to do all in their power to keep the ugly sisters happy as they keep the coefficient up, and typically have extended runs in Europe every season, so as long as 2 clubs are happy the other 10 premiership clubs get no help at all.

also if we did run our leagues at different times to the english, there may be more tv money. interest etc but we have been saying it for years with no moves to change

• Like 1

UEFA have compiled a list of all the points scored by individual teams in Europe since the competitions began in 1955-56, Motherwell are not in the top 100, but we are 10th in the Scotland country rankings, interesting reading,

https://swissfootballdata.com/2022/08/07/uefa-country-ranking-historical-statistics-of-all-football-clubs/

As expected Rangers are 10th Celtic 15th in the top 100 list, surprisingly Aberdeen and Hibs made the top 100 list as well. 

On 8/5/2022 at 8:13 AM, wellsince75 said:

Great point.

Seems to work perfectly well for Scandinavian clubs as several results in Europe this season confirm. Not too bad an effect on Irish Clubs either in the earlier rounds!

Would be great if our lords and masters in Scotland actually looked and acted upon what would be good for Scottish football rather than blindly following others. And heaven forbid us fans get a say.

Exactly the powers of be have sold our game so short it's embarrassing.Summer football would increase out profile ten fold most leagues shut and more eyes on our game.

The dinosaurs in charge don't care they never have it's utterly shameful but the folk at the SFA aswell still think they are big players.

Our football is run by non football fans it's run by people that have harmed our game greatly.

I'd imagine we could get some better TV money as well.

I could see it being an issue with contracts though, as our windows wouldn't align with England , and you could be in trouble if your club got to the latter stages of Europe, and there are players who's deals ended in Jan.

I'm for it though, just to be different.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

UEFA have compiled a list of all the points scored by individual teams in Europe since the competitions began in 1955-56, Motherwell are not in the top 100, but we are 10th in the Scotland country rankings, interesting reading,

https://swissfootballdata.com/2022/08/07/uefa-country-ranking-historical-statistics-of-all-football-clubs/

As expected Rangers are 10th Celtic 15th in the top 100 list, surprisingly Aberdeen and Hibs made the top 100 list as well. 

A really interesting read. What surprised me is how Liverpool as multiple winners across the tournaments sit below the OF and Kiev. I guess it just bears witness to how some clubs being  guaranteed European football each season skews the figures. And highlights how long it takes for others to overtake them if those lower quality teams get through a few early rounds. Dukla Prague are even in there despite being disbanded and disappearing for a number of years before a local Prague club resurrected the name and progressed up the Divisions.

4 hours ago, dennyc said:

A really interesting read. What surprised me is how Liverpool as multiple winners across the tournaments sit below the OF and Kiev. I guess it just bears witness to how some clubs being  guaranteed European football each season skews the figures. And highlights how long it takes for others to overtake them if those lower quality teams get through a few early rounds. Dukla Prague are even in there despite being disbanded and disappearing for a number of years before a local Prague club resurrected the name and progressed up the Divisions.

How long were English teams banned from Europe?

1 minute ago, ropy said:

How long were English teams banned from Europe?

Fair point. 3 years maybe?

I was just surprised that Liverpool's nine CL/Uefa wins plus three Super Cup wins were not enough to take them above the clubs I mentioned. As Liverpool did spend time outside the the top division and were banned as you say, it suggests to me that the co-efficient to a degree reflects number of appearances whereas I thought achievement when actually participating would have a greater reward. Real Madrid of course have mastered both.

So playing in a League like ours gives Rangers and Celtic a head start in collecting points over those who have to fight to get a European place. Ever presents since the early sixties sitting above the likes of Liverpool despite achieving little. Kiev as an example. I appreciate that the OF have appeared in a number of finals but others have not.

Just an observation. That's all.

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Dundee untd currently getting ripped a new one  by AZ Alkmar 5-0 down and its not even half time, no wonder we are a Diddy Nation in uefa's eyes

Six now. 

The reality is that for every Scottish club outwith Celtic & Rangers, European football is simply a level way beyond their reach.

Not that that in any way excuses our debacle against Sligo Rovers mind you.

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I felt sorry for everyone that went to Sligo but jeez for utd fans in Holland a total nightmare, at least they might get chance to shmoke some pizza!! Lol

It's now 7-0  Currently the joint worst result in Scottish European games history 

Just now, Mad Dog said:

Finished 7-0 so they didn't set a new record.

It was not for want of trying it was 7 going on 10 Untd were outclassed big time, only losing 7 flattered them AZ could have scored every time they went forward. Our results  against Sligo were embarrassing enough but that was a whole new level of embarrassment for untd tonight.

That Australian keeper they bought was stinking. While AZ did score some nice goals he was a bombscare and couldn't deal with crosses.

Tony Watt mentioned last week that he joined United for nights like that I wonder what his take is tonight. I was actually worried that AZ were going to beat our record score of 12-1 over united.

Utd were well in the game until it went 2 nil. In fact they could count themselves very unlucky to see it go 2 nil IMO.

The fact they completely imploded thereafter showed the same lack of character that has dogged most Scottish teams in Europe for decades. 

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

You have to ask what United directors think they're going to achieve by throwing bucketloads of cash into their playing budget.

yep, dont know much about the boy mcgrath or levitt but hey didnt get a look in, youve also got watt and fletcher , so they must be shelling out . i think it shows that everything starts with a good defence

With 2 or 3 additions we should be looking to finish above them