2022/23 League Predictions

MJC

So as the new league season approaches, what’s everyone’s thoughts on how we’ll do?

I think we’re going to struggle badly this year, unless we do some significant transfer business between now and the end of August. Basically we are going to be relying on other teams being less shite than we are to keep us in the league and I think it’s going to be a scrap between ourselves, St.Mirren and St.Johnstone to avoid 11th and 12th.

As for the rest of the league, I think Celtic will be Champions with Rangers clear in second. Hearts will be third again but will be pushed all the way by a much stronger Aberdeen and Dundee Utd will be in the mix too. 

I fancy Kilmarnock to do a lot better than everyone would expect as they have a very good manager in McInnes and I can see them pipping Hibs to a top six finish. Hibs will have yet another poor season.

The bottom six will be as tight as a drum but as I said I reckon the three weakest sides will be us and the two saints clubs.

Hopefully something changes over the next month. 

The only teams that won more games than us last season were Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Livi.

My prediction is that we aren't as bad as some fans think we are and we won't be in a relegation battle.

We are crying out for another pure Number 9 to back-up KVV, but if we do manage that I think we'll be 8th or better and pushing for top 6 again.

My predictions......

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Dundee United

6. Kilmarnock

7. Motherwell

8. Hibs

9. Ross County

10. Livingston

11. St Mirren

12. St Johnstone

Based only on the early league cup games and our first outing, I think the top 5 are a stick on. Hibs should be the other top 6 club as they have the resources but Im not sure there owner hasnt had another brainfart in his choice of manager. The rest of the teams are much of a muchness for me and it will come down to who can grind out the most points over the season.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The only teams that won more games than us last season were Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Livi.

My prediction is that we aren't as bad as some fans think we are and we won't be in a relegation battle.

We are crying out for another pure Number 9 to back-up KVV, but if we do manage that I think we'll be 8th or better and pushing for top 6 again.

That’s all fair enough but for me we were extremely lucky to finish where we did last year given how poor we were for most of the campaign. We also had Tony Watt to thank for winning us as many points in the first half of the season, otherwise we would almost certainly would not have finished top 6. Some fans were scratching their heads as to why we ‘collapsed’ so badly in the second half of the season but the reality is we didn’t collapse, we were never that good to start with, the difference was Watt wasn’t there to bail us out.

Going into the new season, we have no Tony Watt and to hope/expect to carry as much luck again is unrealistic.

Only time will tell.

48 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Based only on the early league cup games and our first outing, I think the top 5 are a stick on. Hibs should be the other top 6 club as they have the resources but Im not sure there owner hasnt had another brainfart in his choice of manager. The rest of the teams are much of a muchness for me and it will come down to who can grind out the most points over the season.

Hearts will do well I think this season. They have added Shankland, a proper goalscorer at this level and already have Boyce, McKay, Mackay-Steven. Fancy them to finish 3rd and possibly even win a Cup.

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

So as the new league season approaches, what’s everyone’s thoughts on how we’ll do?

I think we’re going to struggle badly this year, unless we do some significant transfer business between now and the end of August. Basically we are going to be relying on other teams being less shite than we are to keep us in the league and I think it’s going to be a scrap between ourselves, St.Mirren and St.Johnstone to avoid 11th and 12th.

As for the rest of the league, I think Celtic will be Champions with Rangers clear in second. Hearts will be third again but will be pushed all the way by a much stronger Aberdeen and Dundee Utd will be in the mix too. 
I fancy Kilmarnock to do a lot better than everyone would expect as they have a very good manager in McInnes and I can see them pipping Hibs to a top six finish. Hibs will have yet another poor season.

The bottom six will be as tight as a drum but as I said I reckon the three weakest sides will be us and the two saints clubs.

Too early to tell, as quite a few important signings could yet be made by clubs before the window closes. You obviously think Livingston and Ross County will fare ok. I simply don't know enough about their 2022-23 squads to form an opinion.

A curious comment about Kilmarnock. I really haven't seen many comments at all about them not faring well. For some reason, most pundits and fans expressing views on them seem to think they'll do well. I don't know what this optimistic (from a Killie point of view) assessment is based on. Again, I don't know much about their current squad.

7th or 8th for me this season, which isn't ideal as it's kind of no-mans land for us. Means the manager will have hit the targets set (avoid relegation) but failed to get us into the top six, which is less of a target than avoiding relegation, but still a target. 

If that happens, what then? Some of the fans will likely still be unhappy unless we've seen some marked progress in how we play. 

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Too early to tell, as quite a few important signings could yet be made by clubs before the window closes. You obviously think Livingston and Ross County will fare ok. I simply don't know enough about their 2022-23 squads to form an opinion.

A curious comment about Kilmarnock. I really haven't seen many comments at all about them not faring well. For some reason, most pundits and fans expressing views on them seem to think they'll do well. I don't know what this optimistic (from a Killie point of view) assessment is based on. Again, I don't know much about their current squad.

I wouldn’t say Livi and Ross County will be ‘okay’. As I said I think the bottom six will be as tight as ever and there won’t be much between 11th and 7th points wise. I admit to having grave concerns about us but perhaps that’s down to me having a lot more interest and knowledge of our players and squad than I do with the other sides. 

As for Killie, they’re the side that’s just came up so there is no pressure or real expectations on them to finish in the top six from anyone in the media. However as I said I fancy them to do better than Hibs who I reckon could have another shambles of a campaign. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Yeah, we were very successful for a while. But then after the break in December we won three league games until season end. Only Aberdeen and relegated Dundee won less games, with two apiece.  With Dundee gone and Aberdeen almost certainly better than last year that suggests to me we are in for a tough season unless recruitment and performance improves considerably. Still time to turn it round I guess.   At  the moment anything above bottom two would be a relief. I guess the first half dozen games or so will tell us whether we in pre or post Christmas mode.

As for every other team, I don't really care as long as two are worse than us.

4 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Top 4.  Rangers, Celtic, Hearts & Aberdeen 
Top 6.  Utd & Hibs likely to be there.  Potential for 1 or 2 clubs to get ahead of Utd/Hibs but on paper they should be ahead. 
6-12  the rest are fighting it out .  

Expect us - better than 9th.  

I’m not sure Dundee United or Hibs will do that well this season, I would not be surprised to see one of them struggling towards the bottom end of the division.

Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Utd massive favourites to be top 6, as for the rest wouldn’t be surprised to see any of us in a relegation battle. We’ll be ok, just I think, although I also think we’re Kelly and KVV getting injured away from being bang in trouble…

For me, the ugly sisters top 2, Hearts 3rd, St Mirren,  Livi, Kilmarnock and StJ  bottom 4 and the rest fighting for the other 3 top six places with Hibs  and StJ failing.

So,  Rangers, Celtic,  Hearts, Aberdeen,  Motherwell,  Dundee untd.  Hibs, Ross County, Killie, StJ, Livi, St Mirren 

But as I say I don't think there will be much between positions 4 to 8

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not sure Dundee United or Hibs will do that well this season, I would not be surprised to see one of them struggling towards the bottom end of the division.

United signed Stephen Fletcher. I know he is coming to the end of his career, but he is still a very good player. I could see him and Watt forming a very good partnership. Certainly much better than we have at the moment. They had the edge on is last season in overall league standing and I cant see that changing unless we do some late business that bridges the gap. Not impossible,  but unlikely.