St Mirren v Motherwell 31/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

I'm actually pretty confident that we'll win this game handily. It's what we do, isn't it? Just when we think there's no way back we put in a good performance and grab a win. How many times in the past have we seen it said "oh, with our form we'll be lucky to get anything from the next 2/4/6 games" only to go out and get a few wins.

I think we'll start with three points here. It won't change the mood much with most of the fans, mind you, but still.

• Haha 1

My concern is that if GA is still in charge, or even if someone else is in the hotseat, and wants to shake things up, any other players coming in will have had even less gametime than the starting 11(s) who played against Sligo. What gametime has the likes of Dean Cornelius, Sean Goss, Sondre Solheim, and Stephen O'Donnell had? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My concern is that if GA is still in charge, or even if someone else is in the hotseat, and wants to shake things up, any other players coming in will have had even less gametime than the starting 11(s) who played against Sligo. What gametime has the likes of Dean Cornelius, Sean Goss, Sondre Solheim, and Stephen O'Donnell had? 

But can it get any worse? Of course I said that after Sligo first leg. 

I of course want us to win on Sunday but I fear if we do then burrows and crew will think that everything is back to normal, it wont be, it is basically papering over the cracks. I can't see things improving with Alexander, this isn't just a 2 game issue, this has been going on since January. And clearly he has issues with players,  Is it just me or is it not strange that Woolery says he can't settle in Scotland yet has moved to Turkey!!!, That sounds like potential fallout but again just my view and gut reaction 

Despite the Sligo results and my lack of faith in Alexander or Lucketti, I've just bought a ticket for Sunday.  If as has been inferred and directly suggested by others, Alexander has alienated some current and former players, I expect Robinson's team to be well-motivated and ours to go through the motions. However, perhaps, as my fan experience since 1964 has shown, the Mighty can pull off a result when everything else points to them losing............Somehow, I doubt it this time and if we sneak a win, it's likely to be because we get a goal from an early set piece and Alexander takes off all the forwards and packs the defence for the remainder of the match.

4 hours ago, David said:

I'm actually pretty confident that we'll win this game handily. It's what we do, isn't it? Just when we think there's no way back we put in a good performance and grab a win. How many times in the past have we seen it said "oh, with our form we'll be lucky to get anything from the next 2/4/6 games" only to go out and get a few wins.

I think we'll start with three points here. It won't change the mood much with most of the fans, mind you, but still.

I thought that moment was going to be last  night and it never came, so I have absolutely no confidence for Sunday. Im going to the game but only because my nephew has come all the way from Leeds for the first game of a new season, and I cant let him down. However, I have no expectation whatsoever.

Having read you posts on here today and I presume its you on FB also, I know you are also at the end of your tether with the manager. Do you not think a damaging defeat on Sunday will force the issue? How do you see next Saturday playing out.

Im generally with you and Yorkyred when it comes to patience and realism about where we are as a club, but this is a fairly alarming low.

After first leg I thought it couldn’t get worse and we would have enough to get by Sligo. Now after the second leg why would I think it will get better against St Mirren? We are in complete disarray, totally lost at sea. St Mirren will be up for it with a bunch of guys eager to get one over on their old club. I don’t think it’s going to be a good day. 

The game being in Paisley takes a bit of pressure off.  Can only imagine the scenes had it been at FP, protests before the game and chants for the mgr to get out.

Being away from home relieves that pressure.

Expect one of the teams to win with an ugly goal, either Ohara for them or Lamie for us from a set play. 

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I of course want us to win on Sunday but I fear if we do then burrows and crew will think that everything is back to normal, it wont be, it is basically papering over the cracks. I can't see things improving with Alexander, this isn't just a 2 game issue, this has been going on since January. And clearly he has issues with players,  Is it just me or is it not strange that Woolery says he can't settle in Scotland yet has moved to Turkey!!!, That sounds like potential fallout but again just my view and gut reaction 

I found this strange also , surprised by the fact he moved to Turkey when not settled here, definetly more to that one I think

It’s the first game of the league season and it’s already a must win game, especially for the manager. That’s where we are at just now.

These are the type of games that we are going to need to pick up points in this season if we are to avoid the drop and imo we need a minimum of four points from our first two games and anything less is unacceptable. 

I suppose we should take some comfort in St.Mirren being as shite as we are and managed by Stephen Robinson. But who knows.

3-1, just don’t know who to.

Edit: 3-1 to us :cheers:

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

It’s the first game of the league season and it’s already a must win game, especially for the manager. That’s where we are at just now.

These are the type of games that we are going to need to pick up points in this season if we are to avoid the drop and imo we need a minimum of four points from our first two games and anything less is unacceptable. 

I suppose we should take some comfort in St.Mirren being as shite as we are and managed by Stephen Robinson. But who knows.

3-1, just don’t know who to.

Edit: 3-1 to us :cheers:

Still fancy us to lose because the shite we have are not suddenly going to transform. I think we need 3/4 players to bolster this squad to see us to the point where we can safely punt most of the dross and there is plenty to punt. The less toxic atmosphere may help but Ive watched Motherwell for too many years to think differently.

I agree and whatever happens on Sunday I still think us and St.Mirren will be involved in the relegation struggle this season. It’s very much a clash between two poor sides.

However with Alexander gone that will - hopefully - give us a boost to go on and get the points.