St Mirren v Motherwell 31/07/22

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

I more or less said that but we were dugshite let’s not hide the facts 

It's the same team Alexander left us with so we aren't going to see serious improvement until we get some new players in and a new manager.

On twitter a lot of people were saying how great we were under Hammell and then one guy said we're still shite (which did make me laugh). We shouldn't have to rely on Kelly to save us but that's the way it's going to be until we get a decent striker in the door.

Yeah St Mirren will be feeling hard done by but that's football. We've lost plenty of games over the years when we were by far the better team.

St Mirren fans not happy on twitter, some of their fans really don't rate Robbo.

7 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

It's the same team Alexander left us with so we aren't going to see serious improvement until we get some new players in and a new manager.

On twitter a lot of people were saying how great we were under Hammell and then one guy said we're still shite (which did make me laugh). We shouldn't have to rely on Kelly to save us but that's the way it's going to be until we get a decent striker in the door.

Yeah St Mirren will be feeling hard done by but that's football. We've lost plenty of games over the years when we were by far the better team.

St Mirren fans not happy on twitter, some of their fans really don't rate Robbo.

I do remember  few years back, we lost at home to St Johntone to a late late goal.  We had bodied them the whole match.  Stadium announcer annouced the goal by D. Turpin....

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

FFS we won the game, 3 points , clean sheet, joint top of the league, keeper had a brilliant game etc so yes we played well. Another 38 performances like that and we are champions.

So why not just enjoy the win and a great start to the season instead of the constant "we are pish" negative shite you spout.

now now spider anymore of that and he will have you in the sligo  loony bin with me

5 minutes ago, Andy H said:

I do remember  few years back, we lost at home to St Johntone to a late late goal.  We had bodied them the whole match.  Stadium announcer annouced the goal by D. Turpin....

Was that the Kilmarnock game under McGhee v1.   We moved the ball brilliantly that day and applauded the team off the park even though we lost. 

Touch of class from the announcer :clapping:

I enjoyed that. Today was all about digging in and we did. Kelly had two outstanding saves, Lamie was very solid up until the sending off and KVV was looking more like his old self. 

Clearly we are short of a couple of quality players and the lack of minutes during pre-season constrained Hammell’s selection. Credit to him, Kerr and the players for gaining an important three points and lifting the gloom a little. 

Despite starting a bit shaky, it was nice to see Kian Speirs handed his debut and rather fitting with Hammell at the helm. 

• Like 1

Looking at Morris on Whoscored.com he managed 5 touches in the final third in 67 minutes and gave the ball away three times, passed it to a Motherwell player on touchline from inside the box once and crossed a high loopy cross for Sol's header in his only successful final third possession. Brutal.

Shields had 9 involvements in the final third over the 90 minutes but didn't manage to create anything at all other than the pass back to Carroll that led to the penalty. He had another two backwards passes to team mates, 3 crosses that failed to find a team mate and he lost the ball 3 times. 

Efford had two in 20 minutes. The blocked shot and a poor cross.

It's not a shock that KVV is struggling with these chancers beside him.

7 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

We need t b picking up a good number of points in next 7 games as of the 1st oct we have a horror run of 8 games that could see us pick up zero

Had a look at the fixtures you're talking about. No way should we be writing off Hibs or Dundee United away or Aberdeen at home. All very beatable...

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Don’t rise to it then, every thread is getting clogged up with multiple 6 word posts and it’s tiresome. 

It’s just a shame that someone who has supported the club for so long only has negative things to say about it.

Great 3 points today. Wasnt the best performance, but considering where we have been and everything thats happened in the last week, its a great feeling to get the win and start the league season on a positive, especially considering we havent won our first league game since 2016!

Not sure we can read too much into Hammells influence on the team given he only had 24 hours to work with them. But I did feel that some of the players looked like they had a bit of weight off their shoulders.

He definitely made a statement by getting some young players on the bench and giving young Spiers a start so maybe a sign that he is showing the direction he feels the club should be headed.

Like others, I thought Lamie was having a great game right up until his red card. I will need to see it again on tv as it was a long way from where we were, but initial reaction was that he couldnt have any complaints.

KVV continues to frustrate. I get that the service to him isnt great but he doesnt work hard enough for me out of possession. He is a bit like a spoiled child throwing his arms around every time he doesnt get the ball where he wants it. The guy is a senior pro. He should be trying to improve those around him, not crying about how bad their service to him is.

Kelly, as others have already said was absolutely outstanding. 2 match winning saves (one in each half) and several others that were top drawer.

Thought it was quite noticeable how much the players looked to give appreciation to the fans today. Clearly aware of how bad things have been and how much reparation was required. Also reinforced.by Hammy post match.

Just a small step today, but an important one. Hopefully the worst is behjnd us and we can look onwards and upwards for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

We are 3 weeks behind them in fitness, no manager and at least 4 players light. 3 points are gratefully received

Thats it in a nutshell for me. Job done by Hammy & Kerr to steady the ship at short notice. Quite a few players were well short  of match fitness and Slattery was instructed not to play. Good too to see young Speirs get a chance although maybe not the game you'd choose for him to make his debut. Before KO my concern was the midfield which looked very lightweight - the wrong mix but choices would have been limited.  An away win on the opening day of the league season isn't to be sniffed at. Hopefully positive changes to come in the next month with a new manager and 2 or 3 new players?   

Bringing some youth in to the match day squad was unexpected and welcome. The inclusion actually might be the spark the team needs. It shows the faith that Hammell and Kerr had in them that they were happy to fling one on despite the pressure of the game. Wee bit nervous to begin with as everyone would be but he even managed to get a shot that wasn't far away from a great goal. Hope to see more of our youth getting a run out throughout the season. I thought Mahon might have got 10 minutes to see what he has to offer as Shields and Efford don't offer much just now

Everybody seems to be of the view that we need another striker and that may very well be so.  However I don’t care who the strikers are they cannot contribute anything positive unless they get good service and support from midfield.  

Discounting the farcical friendly in Austria, we’ve now played 4 games and in those 4 games there has been a complete dearth of any creative play from our midfield. We have been and are absolutely dire in this respect. Both previous managers failed to remedy this shortcoming and both adopted back to front football in the hope we’d win second balls in the opposition third. Not surprisingly it failed miserably however Robinson eventually was fortunate that Turnbull and Hastie made the breakthrough and allowed the tactics to change allowing more build-up through midfield.

We don't currently have any midfielders at the club who have any creative ability.  So before we go looking for another striker we need to look to improve our midfield by adding a couple of footballers who can support our strikers and make passes to their forward runs.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Looking at Morris on Whoscored.com he managed 5 touches in the final third in 67 minutes and gave the ball away three times, passed it to a Motherwell player on touchline from inside the box once and crossed a high loopy cross for Sol's header in his only successful final third possession. Brutal.

Shields had 9 involvements in the final third over the 90 minutes but didn't manage to create anything at all other than the pass back to Carroll that led to the penalty. He had another two backwards passes to team mates, 3 crosses that failed to find a team mate and he lost the ball 3 times. 

Efford had two in 20 minutes. The blocked shot and a poor cross.

It's not a shock that KVV is struggling with these chancers beside him.

Stats are great things that can be used to make any case/statement. What was KVV stats and how do our guys compare with similar guys in the rest of the league? 

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Everybody seems to be of the view that we need another striker and that may very well be so.  However I don’t care who the strikers are they cannot contribute anything positive unless they get good service and support from midfield.  

Discounting the farcical friendly in Austria, we’ve now played 4 games and in those 4 games there has been a complete dearth of any creative play from our midfield. We have been and are absolutely dire in this respect. Both previous managers failed to remedy this shortcoming and both adopted back to front football in the hope we’d win second balls in the opposition third. Not surprisingly it failed miserably however Robinson eventually was fortunate that Turnbull and Hastie made the breakthrough and allowed the tactics to change allowing more build-up through midfield.

We don't currently have any midfielders at the club who have any creative ability.  So before we go looking for another striker we need to look to improve our midfield by adding a couple of footballers who can support our strikers and make passes to their forward runs.

Do us a favour and let us know the coaching qualifications you’ve attained to come to that conclusion? Have you never thought that the midfielders are just playing to instruction? That has to change with a fresh outlook.

I do agree we need to add to our midfield - an experienced head to force the play and help develop fairly inexperienced Slattery and Cornelius. Yet some on here balked at our Steve Davis interest - I’d have been all over that.

On today’s game - we are a few weeks behind in pre-season & competitive games than St Mirren yet, we’ve headed home with 3 points and a clean sheet. I’d fancy us to improve, them not so much.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Great 3 points today. Wasnt the best performance, but considering where we have been and everything thats happened in the last week, its a great feeling to get the win and start the league season on a positive, especially considering we havent won our first league game since 2016!

Not sure we can read too much into Hammells influence on the team given he only had 24 hours to work with them. But I did feel that some of the players looked like they had a bit of weight off their shoulders.

He definitely made a statement by getting some young players on the bench and giving young Spiers a start so maybe a sign that he is showing the direction he feels the club should be headed.

Like others, I thought Lamie was having a great game right up until his red card. I will need to see it again on tv as it was a long way from where we were, but initial reaction was that he couldnt have any complaints.

KVV continues to frustrate. I get that the service to him isnt great but he doesnt work hard enough for me out of possession. He is a bit like a spoiled child throwing his arms around every time he doesnt get the ball where he wants it. The guy is a senior pro. He should be trying to improve those around him, not crying about how bad their service to him is.

Kelly, as others have already said was absolutely outstanding. 2 match winning saves (one in each half) and several others that were top drawer.

Thought it was quite noticeable how much the players looked to give appreciation to the fans today. Clearly aware of how bad things have been and how much reparation was required. Also reinforced.by Hammy post match.

Just a small step today, but an important one. Hopefully the worst is behjnd us and we can look onwards and upwards for the rest of the season.

Id imagine there were a few dropped jaws within the club at Liam Kellys comments and "operation salvage relationship with the fans" was quickly drawn up.

At the end of the day we're a small club in a large pond so the youth is our best chance of maybe having a chance at a cup or getting a wee european tour. Hopefully we see more of speirs, cornelius, johnston,ferrie as the season goes on so any manager coming in should be looking to develop them unlike GA who didnt give them a chance

Edited by thewelllfan
add

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Do us a favour and let us know the coaching qualifications you’ve attained to come to that conclusion? Have you never thought that the midfielders are just playing to instruction? That has to change with a fresh outlook.

I do agree we need to add to our midfield - an experienced head to force the play and help develop fairly inexperienced Slattery and Cornelius. Yet some on here balked at our Steve Davis interest - I’d have been all over that.

On today’s game - we are a few weeks behind in pre-season & competitive games than St Mirren yet, we’ve headed home with 3 points and a clean sheet. I’d fancy us to improve, them not so much.

judging on that game, they will finish above us...usually a happy clapper but we need some fresh blood, cant rely on kelly bailing us out every week

Re midfielders, i dont think Maguire or Cornelius have got it to be creative, good players can slow it down and pick a pass.anyway we bagged 3 vital points

4 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

judging on that game, they will finish above us...usually a happy clapper but we need some fresh blood, cant rely on kelly bailing us out every week

Re midfielders, i dont think Maguire or Cornelius have got it to be creative, good players can slow it down and pick a pass.anyway we bagged 3 vital points

Judging on that game? I’m not sure I share that. We’ve still to get up to speed for the reasons I mentioned. New blood is a given, hoping we don’t rest on our laurels and a swift appointment gives room for manoeuvre in assessing & making changes to squad.

For some reason, Alexander seen both as number 6’s, neither are. Cornelius doesn’t have to be creative. His strength? Energy with the ability to go beyond our forward line yet, neither used to advantage.

• Like 1