Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

Given the timing, two days before the new league season kicks off, and with a squad on its arse and devoid of confidence and ideas, the next managerial appointment we make has to be absolutely spot on.

Burrows and the board simply cannot afford to get this one wrong.

Personally I would be approaching Partick Thistle and asking to speak to Ian McCall. I don’t know that he would even be remotely interested in it, but I would certainly be asking him. I think he would be a perfect fit for us just now.

4 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Given the timing, two days before the new league season kicks off, and with a squad on its arse and devoid of confidence and ideas, the next managerial appointment we make has to be absolutely spot on.

Burrows and the board simply cannot afford to get this one wrong.

Personally I would be approaching Partick Thistle and asking to speak to Ian McCall. I don’t know that he would even be remotely interested in it, but I would certainly be asking him. I think he would be a perfect fit for us just now.

I think we should be looking for better than McCall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

I think we should be looking for better than McCall.

We need to be realistic in who we would be able to afford.

As someone said on another thread we need to be steering clear of ex Well managers or popular ex players who have no managerial experience. 

Ian McCall has more than proved himself at the level we are at and could be a good option, even as a short-ish term option to ‘steady the ship’.

Honestly I've no clue who the next mgr will be but in truth is there's plenty of decent managers.  Sligo for example have a guy who had them do the basics well, theres' plenty out there.

Emotionally I'd love to see someone who has a 'Well background .   I really like that we former players around. It's a shame Craggs didn't want to move into first team mgt as the guy was excellent with our under 21's.    

Be interesting to see what happens over the coming weeks. 

I wouldn’t be against Craigan being brought in in some capacity, though not as manager as he has no experience whatsoever.

However sadly I get the impression that Craigan is no longer welcome at Fir Park.

Was Simo Valakari not interested before GA got the gig? Doubt he would touch us with a bargepole now. His team (KuPS) top of their league, scoring goals for fun and just got through their qualifier. Wonder if he could tempt his son to join us but apparently he was liked with AC Milan last year.

Would suggest Malky McKay but Ross County would probably pay him more and compensation probably an issue. Sure he signed an extention recently?

Ian McCall (as mentioned above) would probably be a really sensible appointment but would go down horrendously with the fans IMO. I seem to recall him having a hatred of us many years back. Neil Lennon would be in this boat too.

An absolute no from me to the following who will no doubt be heavily linked: Faddy, Lasley, Colye, Derek Adams, Billy Davies.

9 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Why's that?

Because of the abrupt nature of his departure and , as far as I know, he hasn’t actually been back to Fir Park since, outwith media duties and when he was inducted into our hall of fame last year.

If I am wrong about any of that then I am happy to be corrected but that’s just how I see it.

As I said I would be happy to see Craigan back at Fir Park in some capacity, but I just don’t see it happening.

24 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We need to be realistic in who we would be able to afford.

As someone said on another thread we need to be steering clear of ex Well managers or popular ex players who have no managerial experience. 

Ian McCall has more than proved himself at the level we are at and could be a good option, even as a short-ish term option to ‘steady the ship’.

I think McCall would get absolutely slaughtered on here if we went on a poor run. Motherwell is not an easy gig these days.

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

As I read somewhere takes the pressure off on Sunday it is a free hit. Lose and its transition time , win and it happy days

I think Sunday is far from a free hit myself. We should be looking for a good start to the season and St Mirren are going to have a tough season. If we lose these winnable games we will go into the tougher ones under real pressure.

22 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Was Simo Valakari not interested before GA got the gig? Doubt he would touch us with a bargepole now. His team (KuPS) top of their league, scoring goals for fun and just got through their qualifier. Wonder if he could tempt his son to join us but apparently he was liked with AC Milan last year.

You beat me to the Simo punch, but like you say that ship has probably sailed now.

• Like 1

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell