Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Have we ever gone into to a new season looking for a new manager having not played a single league match before?

Ally MacLeod was probably the quickest out the door into a new season that I can think of, up until today. If only Hammell could do a Davie Hay.

• Thanks 1

I think the mutual consent thing usually includes an agreement on compensation. He seems to have initiated the conversation, so I doubt we've paid him and lucketti off fully, but the communication from both parties suggests things were a bit more amicable than punting him with just his bfh.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

And he’s probably the experienced ‘head’ that would benefit us just now.

Its unlikely though, as I’m sure he’s involved with one of the highland league sides as some kind of advisor on a full time basis.

And the fact he’s a fud. But I wouldn’t say that to his face.

As far as pundits like faddy and craigan go, nope. It's easy for them to spout their opinions on what we're doing wrong, knowing they're not on the hook to do anything about it. Neither have done anything to suggest they're capable of managing at any level. Craigan was great with the u21s, but that was a once in a blue moon crop of players, and a whole different ballgame compared to the senior team.

9 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

If he has walked with a contract running until 2025 he deserves huge credit, I would not do that in his position.  Credit also for the closing comments, gone with a bit of class.

He's made the smart move. He built it, but looking at that squad in action over the last two games,  he must've known it was only a matter of time - because they're shit, or because they're not playing for him. Or maybe both. Leaving now saves his reputation possibly taking a battering over the next few months.

Given that Faddy's getting his UEFA badges (and his stated interest in coaching/management), I wouldn't be against having him in one of our coaching roles - but I wouldn't have him anywhere near a manager's job at this point.

Right now I'm more curious about which role GA fills at St Mirren.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

Kevin Thomson anyone?

That would be my choice. He is a winner having won premier League titles with Rangers. He was also part of the Rangers side which reached the 2008 UEFA Cup Final. Say what you like about Old Firm players but winning is expected and drummed into them. Knows the Scottish scene. Worked as youth coach at Rangers. Took  Kelty Hearts job when Barry Ferguson  left to join Alloa. Under him Kelty ran away with their league scoring goals for fun and conceded the least goals to. This would be a step up sure but he has proved he can set up a team and win games.  Also proved he can step into a club and hit the ground running.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ppower said:

That would be my choice. He is a winner having won premier League titles with Rangers. He was also part of the Rangers side which reached the 2008 UEFA Cup Final. Say what you like about Old Firm players but winning is expected and drummed into them. Knows the Scottish scene. Worked as youth coach at Rangers. Took  Kelty Hearts job when Barry Ferguson  left to join Alloa. Under him Kelty ran away with their league scoring goals for fun and conceded the least goals to. This would be a step up sure but he has proved he can set up a team and win games.  Also proved he can step into a club and hit the ground running.

It’s still a hell of a leap from Kelly Hearts to the Premiership.

14 minutes ago, ppower said:

Did he not also have a huge financial advantage at Kelty? Easy way to con yourself into a job at a decent club

Malky MacKay would be the most experienced and most successful manager we could hope for but there would be major barriers to overcome to appoint him. Would he fit the club ethos given his history?

I suspect compensation would be a major issue and is Motherwell a step up from RC these days?

He would have the Craig Brown quality of steadying the ship and may actually be able to take the team forward. Would be a major risk from a PR perspective.

11 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Thank god fans don't pick managers, some of the shouts on here are just ridiculous and wild. In fact almost every single one mentioned so far. Some on here are definitely on the sauce celebrating GA going by the nick of these suggestions

I assume most to be of a sarcastic nature...

Just now, Well Well said:

Thank god fans don't pick managers, some of the shouts on here are just ridiculous and wild. In fact almost every single one mentioned so far. Some on here are definitely on the sauce celebrating GA going by the nick of these suggestions

Ok Ancelotti it is

34 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Give us your suggestion then 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell