Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

Guys like Simo have shown interest before - and then they get told what the budget is and suddenly they aren't so interested.

We need stability on one hand, but progression on the other. Not an easy combination to find for any club. Basically, a young old hand with solid fundamental expansive conservative ideas.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Daily Record is saying we are lining up a return for Robinson....

As bad as that might be, imagine the comedy gold from @Yodo on here were it to happen....

Just made my weekend, bring him home.

I’ve always been an advocate of Big Yogi, love his enthusiasm and how he gets his teams to play, his ICT side latterly were excellent to watch.  His most recent gigs at Raith and Dunfermline have tarnished his CV, however may be symptomatic of the state the clubs were in when he joined rather than his capability.    Robbo is a hard no, he’s had his time, Kevin Thomson may be too much of a leap, in a fantasy universe I’d love Marcelo Bielsa but, hey,…

29 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

I’ve always been an advocate of Big Yogi, love his enthusiasm and how he gets his teams to play, his ICT side latterly were excellent to watch.  His most recent gigs at Raith and Dunfermline have tarnished his CV, however may be symptomatic of the state the clubs were in when he joined rather than his capability.    Robbo is a hard no, he’s had his time, Kevin Thomson may be too much of a leap, in a fantasy universe I’d love Marcelo Bielsa but, hey,…

Big Yogi would bring in a team of "guid honest laddies"...

As much as I’d love the hype of Big Dunc getting the job I just don’t see that happening.

i think Kevin thomson is a potentially good young manager but I think he’s too young to get anything out that group of players/charlatans we’ve gathered. 
i think we need a guy to bring some enthusiasm and belief to that group and get the best out of them as we’ll not be buying any other players in the short term.

Hughes does get the best out of players, players run through walls for him and he’s always been overly complimentary towards motherwell which makes me really like the guy and He’s been at dying clubs recently so I don’t think he can be judged on those. But he still gives me a massive fear. 

Big Mixu has spoken about managing in Scotland again and I think the board would be interested in him but I don’t know if that’s a good appointment .

tam Cowan suggested Ian maccall which would mean my season ticket would remain in my drawer locked for the rest of the season so that’s a no from me.

id take Malky McKay but I don’t know if we could afford the compensation and it may have an impact on our Chinese/Jewish fan base lol 

the board have a tough job.

And if Robbo is seriously being considered then it's good news for my mates as my season ticket will be getting handed back. Why on earth would we make a move for a guy that left us in relegation trouble, signed a fair amount of dross and since then had Morecambe nearly relegated and is doing nothing at St Mirren apart from sign anyone with a well connection.  Let's just remember what happened when Burrows brought his pal McGhee back.  Nah not for me

If we are seriously considering bringing Robinson back then there is no hope for Burrows and this board. An absolutely ridiculous, short sighted backward looking approach.

Surely to Christ this cannot happen?

• Like 1

I think one think supporters are going to need to do regardless of the manager is temper expectations of the quality of football. I’ve seen four managers at Motherwell and every one has faced the same criticism, the quality of signings and a lack of technical ability. The next manager is going to be working with the same budget and as such the same gene pool of players. Lower league down south, Scottish championship, and bog standard Premiership. It’s extremely unlikely we’re going to see an upgrade and the best we can hope for is a fit organised group that win more than they lose. Some entertaining football would be nice, but very much a bonus.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

If we are seriously considering bringing Robinson back then there is no hope for Burrows and this board. An absolutely ridiculous, short sighted backward looking approach.

It won’t. Record making up shit as they go along. 
Hoping for another Manager akin to Robinson and Alexander in that they both did a good job for initial 12 months + 

We should get a fair amount of applications from far and wide. As I said over on P&B we need someone who can motivate and man manage players effectively. Something I am not sure Alexander was good at. Judging by comments and rumours mostly unfounded it must be said. Also someone that is capable of shaking things up and changing tactics and formations to suit the playing squad and opposition.  Not sticking to a rigid formation and approach even if it is self evident it is not working ! 

A lot to ask for but that type of person would fit the bill just nicely. 

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

That Daily Record article has three or four spelling and grammatical mistakes. If they can’t even spellcheck the English, I doubt that they will have spent any time investigating the facts. Click bait. Beauty is, we all click so it works.

If Robbo comes back I won't set foot in Fir Park the mess he left us in was unforgivable,won about 5 games the last year he was with us and signed worst goalie I have ever witnessed in my life.

Strange times at Fir Park don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant,tend to think of myself as positive but can't think of a worst start to a season.Two weeks to get someone and last two weeks of August to plug the holes in the team.

On who to get I would go get Kevin Thompson and move Hammy upto to Assistant failing that Big Dunc least he will put the fear into them very least pride wearing the shirt.

I understand why fans are saying he should have been punted before the European game but I suppose the board felt that he got us there and had to be given the chance to see it through. I felt very sad last night. I've had lots of discussions with my brother over the months over Alexander, he wasn't a fan. I just personally feel once that fans start shouting for a managers head as loudly as they did with Alexander there was no way back. The reason I feel sad is that in the beginning it really looked like he had brought confidence to the team. European result aside he saved us when we were in freefall.

We never sack managers apparently, my brother told me this last night but if you read the full statement it says that he asked to speak with the board yesterday morning.

Alan hasn't posted on twitter since the home leg and part of me doesn't blame him and I'm aware he has a young family and other commitments as well but clearly people are unhappy and they have the right to be.

I've seen people say the mistake he made was not replacing Watt. I'm not sure if I agree on that but Van Veen isn't consistent enough for me and I do like him. We need another striker  My brothers view was that we weren't prepared enough for that game and should have had 5 or 6 friendlies or closed door games in preparation.

I personally wouldn't want Robbo back at Motherwell. I think what's the most gutting for me is that how often do we get into Europe and look at how it ended. Clearly getting into Europe just papered over the cracks and gave Alexander more time.

I didn't even watch the commentary of the game on twitter on Thursday night. Couldn't face it. I knew we had lost when my brother texted me saying Alexander should stay in Ireland.

On a side note does anyone know if the club are going to go ahead with the free tickets for low income or unemployed fans? I've not seen anything online about it since they asked for the donations? I think the applications went in quite late last year. I will contact the club but just thought I would ask on here.

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I think one think supporters are going to need to do regardless of the manager is temper expectations of the quality of football. I’ve seen four managers at Motherwell and every one has faced the same criticism, the quality of signings and a lack of technical ability. The next manager is going to be working with the same budget and as such the same gene pool of players. Lower league down south, Scottish championship, and bog standard Premiership. It’s extremely unlikely we’re going to see an upgrade and the best we can hope for is a fit organised group that win more than they lose. Some entertaining football would be nice, but very much a bonus.

I'm one of these fans who would take a last minute goal over entertaining football but that's just me. Probably because I've been going long enough like lots of folk on here that you'll take 3 points no matter how you get them:)

My brother has been going to fir park over 30 years now and I've never seen him as disillusioned with Motherwell as I have last season. He just thought the football was dire.

I do understand completely though why fans want to be entertained. Fans pay the money and even though our club does a lot of decent offers to get fans through the doors it's still not cheap and people want a return for their money.

I think Slattery has a lot of potential and I'd like to see him develop.

• Haha 1

As fans not matter how long you have been going to games,we certainly don't go for the entertainment factor,I don't expect silky football every week and to be scoring 3 and 4 goals,I've been watching us for over 30 years and I could probably count on one hand the number of seasons where I could say I was really entertained by what was on show on the park.for me it's about getting a well coached team on the park,where everybody knows there role and playing in positions that suit them,that could be more than enough to still be entertaining and win games at the level we play at.

The club just cannot be seriously planning to bring Robinson back from St. Mirren. The formation, style and results were no better than those subsequently delivered by Alexander.

If this comes to pass then I’m afraid I will be returning my season ticket.

What a great opportunity we have to get a quality manager in, in our league a good manager alone could get third with average players which we have in this league . We must be positive the board normally pull a left field option that's not quoted initially, Alexander did not work out long term but he did save us  from what looked like certain relegation and got us into Europe so i wish him all the best.

Hope we look at someone who can promote quick passing football not hoofball

15 minutes ago, El Grew said:

The club just cannot be seriously planning to bring Robinson back from St. Mirren. The formation, style and results were no better than those subsequently delivered by Alexander.

If this comes to pass then I’m afraid I will be returning my season ticket.

I can't see that happening. His style is too similar to Alexander. We need a fresh face.

He's probably happy enough where he is as well.

It's such a mess of a situation I am really disappointed in the board for this I rarely have a go at them but this is amatuer hour.

I hope they have been feeling out some folk at the very least before the Sligo game on the fly  and If Robbo comes back then that shall be it for me  that's just regression same old same old.

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

It won’t. Record making up shit as they go along. 
Hoping for another Manager akin to Robinson and Alexander in that they both did a good job for initial 12 months + 

We should get a fair amount of applications from far and wide. As I said over on P&B we need someone who can motivate and man manage players effectively. Something I am not sure Alexander was good at. Judging by comments and rumours mostly unfounded it must be said. Also someone that is capable of shaking things up and changing tactics and formations to suit the playing squad and opposition.  Not sticking to a rigid formation and approach even if it is self evident it is not working ! 

A lot to ask for but that type of person would fit the bill just nicely. 

I sincerely hope you are right but it wouldn’t surprise me if there was something in it. We are notorious for re-tracing steps when signing players or managers. 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell