Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

2 days of chat on the forum about a new manager and Simo Valakari finally gets a mention, would not have been the same without someone putting his name forward, why people constantly think he would be a good replacement is beyond me, his managerial career is much like his playing one distinctly average at best.

Be a good fit then for the distinctly average players we have 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

2 days of chat on the forum about a new manager and Simo Valakari finally gets a mention, would not have been the same without someone putting his name forward, why people constantly think he would be a good replacement is beyond me, his managerial career is much like his playing one distinctly average at best.

At least he’d offer something different - not someone who’s been kicking around the English game .

to be fair to him he’s had a reasonable managerial career and shown he cares about the club  - not sure what standard of manager people think we’ll attract

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Well done to Stevie and Brian Kerr for getting the team organised at such short notice. However it's only one game so I hope the board don't get lazy.  Let's put the job out there and see who is interested 

I wouldn't worry. Even if the club were tempted, I suspect Hammell might realise himself that it's too early...

Be interested to see who is interested in the job before we make a decision, however, I wouldnt rule Hammell out immediately.

Today is only one game and you cant judge anyone on that, but he has a lot things going for him.

He knows the club, he knows the players. He will he aware of our deficiences and what needs fixed. He knows our academy talent and has a vested interest in trying to develop it for the benefit of the club. He is also a club legend who will get more patience to get things right than anyone else is likely to be afforded.

Whether he has the man management skills and the tactical acumen to succeed remains to be seen, but for most of our appointments Id suggest that is always a bit of a punt.

It might feel like a lazy appointment. But I wouldnt be distraught by it.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Be interested to see who is interested in the job before we make a decision, however, I wouldnt rule Hammell out immediately.

Today is only one game and you cant judge anyone on that, but he has a lot things going for him.

He knows the club, he knows the players. He will he aware of our deficiences and what needs fixed. He knows our academy talent and has a vested interest in trying to develop it for the benefit of the club. He is also a club legend who will get more patience to get things right than anyone else is likely to be afforded.

Whether he has the man management skills and the tactical acumen to succeed remains to be seen, but for most of our appointments Id suggest that is always a bit of a punt.

It might feel like a lazy appointment. But I wouldnt be distraught by it.

Was thinking along similar lines. At the early stages Hamilton took a punt on Alex Neil and it worked .

What’s not clear is whether he’d be interested and like you say lots of reasons why it could work , albeit lacks experience 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

At least we won't see any chat about Van Der Gaag this time around. 

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

I think Stevie Hammell would be good No.2 for whoever gets the manager job - knows the club and Scottish football inside out.

I'd rather have someone with those qualities in charge of the academy, which he is, and I'm sure that position also gives him the space and respect required to advise the first team management when/if required. I think for the manager and their assistant, we need the knowledge you refer to, but we also need people with more experience.

As a club I'd like to see us nudge forward and have a  longer term plan. 

I first started watching us in early 80s and we progressed into the top league, spent a few years battling relegation and steadily improved brining in better quality whilst bleeding youngsters. 

Bringing through players like Boyd, O'Donnell, McCart, McMillan, Faddy, Pearson, McCulloch, Lasley, Hammell, Reynolds, Quinn  Murphy, Hutchinson, Cadden, Turnbull, Campbell.

Whilst being able to attract some very decent players who stuck around from - Russell, Cooper, Coyne, Lambert, Martin  Craigen, Sutton.  

Recent years we've been able to show in patches the same approach to youth with some exceptional players, our attraction of quality players has generally been poor.  Over this period the quality has got worse, the fan base reduced.

As club be great to see us move forward sustainably.  Reduce the squad size, bring in better quality who are likely to stay a few years whilst bringing through youngsters. The Faddy's, Turnbulls,  O'Donnell's are perhaps once a decade type player but even to get back to the quality of McMillan, Lasley, Hammell, Reynolds, Cadden etc should be within our gift and their likely to give a damn.  Appreciate this means we'll lose out on some 16 year olds having their head turned but I can't see any other obvious way forward. 

Really don't want to accept we've come as far as we can and every year it's a battle for mid table.  Really want to see us slowly but surely progress - even a most increase to gates to get 5-6-7-8k people through the door would be great.     With this is mind it may be more than a new manager we need. 

• Like 2

As a club I'd like to see us nudge forward and have a  longer term plan. 

I first started watching us in early 80s and we progressed into the top league, spent a few years battling relegation and steadily improved brining in better quality whilst bleeding youngsters. 

Bringing through players like Boyd, O'Donnell, McCart, McMillan, Faddy, Pearson, McCulloch, Lasley, Hammell, Reynolds, Quinn  Murphy, Hutchinson, Cadden, Turnbull, Campbell.

Whilst being able to attract some very decent players who stuck around from - Russell, Cooper, Coyne, Lambert, Martin  Craigen, Sutton.  

Recent years we've been able to show in patches the same approach to youth with some exceptional players, our attraction of quality players has generally been poor.  Over this period the quality has got worse, the fan base reduced.

As club be great to see us move forward sustainably.  Reduce the squad size, bring in better quality who are likely to stay a few years whilst bringing through youngsters. The Faddy's, Turnbulls,  O'Donnell's are perhaps once a decade type player but even to get back to the quality of McMillan, Lasley, Hammell, Reynolds, Cadden etc should be within our gift and their likely to give a damn.  Appreciate this means we'll lose out on some 16 year olds having their head turned but I can't see any other obvious way forward. 

Really don't want to accept we've come as far as we can and every year it's a battle for mid table.  Really want to see us slowly but surely progress - even a most increase to gates to get 5-6-7-8k people through the door would be great.     With this is mind it may be more than a new manager we need. 
It's always going to go in cycles with clubs our size, no matter how well organized we are. Good players will be sold or leave, as will managers. The key is to try and stagger these things so we're not left with too many holes to fill each season, and hopefully be in a position where we can make that extra signing or hang on to one or two for a year longer when things are going well.

Our attendances are what they are. We've tried multiple initiatives, including almost giving away season tickets, but they have barely moved the needle (or maybe maintaining our attendances where they are could be considered the achievement). That doesn't mean we should stop trying, but maybe we need to manage expectations in that regard.

The other reality is that we can quadruple what we're spending and not even touch the city clubs. While they've shown that money doesnt buy success (which is 3rd and or a cup at most for non OF teams), we usually have to rely on them screwing up. Thankfully one of them usually does.

Pretty much a result of people putting money on the names they've seen on places like here. The best thing about those bookies lists is knowing who it isn't going to be.

There's a couple in there you could see happening, but I'd put my money on us talking about someone who isn't on that list this time next week.

4 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Pretty much a result of people putting money on the names they've seen on places like here. The best thing about those bookies lists is knowing who it isn't going to be.

There's a couple in there you could see happening, but I'd put my money on us talking about someone who isn't on that list this time next week.

sure i saw darren odea name mentioned....best i can say about that is unknown quantity....i wouldnt mind hammy being a number 2 , but his role at the academy is also vital, maybe moreso.

i know these wont be popular and i will be shot down  but some random names...dick campbell, dave martindale, craig levein, john mcglynn...not the most glamourous or charismatic and not youngsters list but all scottish and  have proven themselves at various stages at smaller clubs

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure The Return of Robinson story began  here as a joke but was then regurgitated by that other long-running joke, The Daily Record. Curiously, my wife's hairdresser's son's pal saw Ancelloti having a roll and sausage in Tim Horton's  (Windmillhill St branch) yesterday.

26 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Interesting article in the Daily Express.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/kevin-thomson-considered-motherwell-job-27631926

If you ignore the Kevin Thomson element, the timeline is interesting. 

Great share - that’s the first article that  I’ve seen that’s not just lifting the names from these types of forums .

can see what Duncan  Ferguson  has been counted as purely a rumour. If he was moving north of the border suspect it would have been the Utd job . 

Overall sounds a sensible approach from the club -  fingers crossed 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell