Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

Guys like thomson and O'Dea will get pushed cause there ex old firm players now trying to make it as a coach/manager but I don't see either being seriously in the running.if were looking to go down that road then you would think hammy would the one,providing he's interested in the job full time.

22 minutes ago, mfc said:

Guys like thomson and O'Dea will get pushed cause there ex old firm players now trying to make it as a coach/manager but I don't see either being seriously in the running.if were looking to go down that road then you would think hammy would the one,providing he's interested in the job full time.

Someone like Thomson would be a huge risk, surely he needs to take a job at Championship level first or as assistant at a Premiership team.

Id much rather have Hammy than Thomson or O'Dea. No more of a risk than they are and has a lot more going for him in other areas.

Not sure about Brian Rice. Wasnt universally liked at Accies which in itself will make him a non starter for some of our fans.

Be interesting to see who is on the list of 50 cv's but I guess we will only get to know the shortlist once it starts to leak out.

6 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m assuming the board have a list of candidates they would like and will contact them first, as well as seeing who applied ? 

apparently from what i've read online their is around 60 applicants so far and all interested candidates must apply by Thursday and then well move forward in the recruitment process

The downside to giving the job to Hammell is that if he does well, he'll be poached in a couple of years and we lose a good man from our club. (And if he doesn't do well we'd need to sack mutually-consent him).

So for purely selfish reasons, I'd rather he stayed in his current role.

2 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I was speaking to someone today who reckoned Paul Lambert was also in the frame for manager. Is he available?

Lambert has been available for +18 months, be interesting to see if he wants to come north of the border .

he often comes across as a bit dull as have many of his teams .

Re Simo Valakari - I’m sure he was on the short list before and narrowly missed out .

Had he not played for Motherwell his credentials would still be strong . He’s managed in 2 countries and proved successful . Having knowledge of European market could be a different avenue.  

Add to that he does know Motherwell is a huge bonus . Having people who already care and understand is a big plus for me . Hence if someone like Craggs wanted the job I’d hire them in a heartbeat 

Whoever gets appointed is a risk so why not Valakari rather than one of any of the other risks? I wonder though if the  BBC just picked up on an old Daily Record story and linked it to previous interest. Lazy journalism as we are used to.

His track record is as good of as any of the other names mentioned. The serious ones anyway. If he really wants the job despite currently doing well in a secure post in Finland, then that puts him ahead of many of the names mentioned who have been out of work for a while and will be desperate to get a job, any job. In my eyes anyway. And we need a fresh start not more of the same old same old. For me Valakari would be an exciting  appointment, as would Craigan. But Valakari has way more experience of managing senior players. We could do a lot worse I think.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I was speaking to someone today who reckoned Paul Lambert was also in the frame for manager. Is he available?

If we're looking at going for experience then lambert would probably be my choice.his managerial career started off well with some promotions in england but the last few years hes jumped about a few clubs,albeit some big clubs.by all accounts he spends a lot of time in germany trying to learn from different managers over there.im not even sure he would be interested in us but he strikes me as similar to owen couple in that there options in england seemed to have dried up and a move back up here might be the best thing.

33 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

GA was a risk, Robertson was a risk ..frankly everyone is a risk. Thats the nature of the beast. 

True, just depends if they want someone with top flight experience, I think the risk increases when it’s only league 2.

8 hours ago, mfc said:

If we're looking at going for experience then lambert would probably be my choice.his managerial career started off well with some promotions in england but the last few years hes jumped about a few clubs,albeit some big clubs.

We simply don't know if Lambert is in the running at all, but it intrigues me that some posters keep bringing up his name. As I don't follow English football, I thought I'd try to find out why he seems to be favoured by a few; what his track record is. In 16 years he's managed 9 teams, 8 of which were in England.  His average stay has been 16 months. At 5 clubs he lasted less than a year. In all that time, he was probably only a success at one, Norwich City, where he guided them to 2 successive promotions. Apart from that, he kept 2 clubs, Norwich and Aston Villa in the Premier League for a combined total of 3  seasons.   Thats about it.  He hasn't managed a club for 18 months.

I just don't get why he'd be a serious candidate for our vacancy. OK he's managed at a reasonably high level in England, but hasn't really managed them well.  Just because you've done a job for years doesn't mean you've done it well. He just doesn't seem to be the kind of candidate we'd go for.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

3 seasons of managing in the Premier League is an exceptional amount of experience, I’d imagine if he was interested the club would snap him up. 

One could argue that experience in the EPL is like driving a Ferrari and we're needing a taxi driver...

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

3 seasons of managing in the Premier League is an exceptional amount of experience, I’d imagine if he was interested the club would snap him up. 

If he had never played for us, would Lambert be getting a mention I think not, the same applies to Valakari , the only ex player who might have been worth a shout this time is Van der gaag if he had been available.

• Like 1

Here in Finland we have followed closely the rumor that Valakari would be interested to become the next manager for Motherwell. KuPS (the team Valakari is currently coaching) is at the moment in very critical situation where it's leading the finnish league  and also qualifying for Europa conference league. Thats why fans are pretty upset about the news of Valakari leaving the club.. Just few moments ago president of the club gave a statement that all this is just a rumor and they have contract with Valakari until end of the 2023. 

As a huge fan of KuPS i really hope that this is just a rumor! But let see.. And warm greetings from Kuopio, Finland

Here's the press release: (it's in finnish so please use googletranslate) 

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/kups-pomo-ei-usko-simo-valakarin-lahtoon-kova-uutinen-tuli-taytena-yllatyksena-olisi-ihan-varmasti-kertonut/8481248#gs.86amge

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell