Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

If he had never played for us, would Lambert be getting a mention I think not, the same applies to Valakari , the only ex player who might have been worth a shout this time is Van der gaag if he had been available.

I think Van Der Gaag was the one that got away when we appointed Baraclough. He was the fans favourite at the time and his career path since suggests he is a highly regarded coach. Sadly that ship has sailed.

I think the fact that potential candidates are former players does have some importance. For one thing they know the club so will have realistic expectations of what to expect. Secondly they will have connections within the club that may be beneficial. 

I have always been a big fan of Paul Lambert. He was a great player and captain. Hard working, tough with vast amounts of experience. I think he would be a great appointment. My memory however is that he left Motherwell under a bit of a cloud? Did he not fall out with Tommy McLean over contract negotiations?

Valakari is a manager with good experience who has proved he can be successful at the clubs he has been with. Again I would be happy with this. My reservation is that Harri Kampman struggled to make the step from managing in Finnish football. Would history repeat itself in that regard?

Anybody thinking that these names are not worthy of our great club need to consider that we lost comfortably to an Irish side last week and are far from a football superpower.

Malky Mackay would be my first choice however even with the baggage that comes with him. I can’t see him moving from RC to us however unless it is was for purely geographical reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

One could argue that experience in the EPL is like driving a Ferrari and we're needing a taxi driver...

Absolutely Greg. Whilst driving his Ferrari he didn't drive it that well, but had no crashes or driving convictions. Can he change a tyre on 10 year old Corsa though? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, David said:

If we're serious about wanting to rely on our own youth rather than buying in players on a gamble, then Hammell is surely the man for the job? He knows our youth players very well and will know who's up for the task and who isn't.

Thats my gut reaction right now.

I understand why others would prefer him to stay where he is as the first team coach role can be a poisoned chalice and Id hate to see Hammy legacy as a player tarnished.

However, sometimes you just have to take that chance and he ticks a lot of boxes for me. The one big gap is experience with first team players.

Leaving aside Craigans alleged reasons for departing last time round, he would be my other choice for similar reasons.

Lambert is interesting and has managed at a high level, but does that make him a good fit at our level?

Simo also seems to be a good fit but he has been passed over at least  twice before. Only the board will know whether thats an impedement this time round.

Hopefully we will start to see firmer news by the weekend.

• Like 2

I don't know about poisoned chalice, but I'd rather have Hammy in his current role for the next 10 years helping our managers blood youngsters into the team than have him be the gaffer fir a successful 2 years then lose him to an Aberdeen or Hibs managerial vacancy.

That's just mebeing selfish, though, and I'm sure he has ideas about his own career path.

I don’t know the salary differential between Academy Director and Manager, I don’t know Hammell’s personal ambition in management.  But he probably has a job for life at the moment and the manager’s job is likely to be a 2 year gig either because of success of failure.  If it is success then great for him, if it is failure do we lose him from the club?

33 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Hammell currently 4/5, and Valakari down from 10/1 to 3/1.

I reckon it’ll be big Simo!

Either or both would work for me .

not keen on lambert purely as he comes across as a boring bigger and his teams matched his personality - not too different from GA albeit at a higher level .

Valakari has done well and shown he wants it . 

equally hammel is a good go guy and called out obvious gaps and needs .

have them both please 

4 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Good shout, get him in that dressing room to show off his six pack and see if that motivates the players. 

Big Dunc could show them his six pack, of Tennants.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell