Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

12 minutes ago, star sail said:

A Herald article this morning with Paul Lambert with a couple of quotes from him. Speaks very highly of the club and definitely implies that he would be open to an offer.

I think he would be a great option if we could afford him.

He's perfectly free to apply if he's interested.

Looks like he hasn't applied but would be happy to talk to the club.  I would have no problem with him bring asked. I know some have questioned his record down south but we aren't going to get a manager who has won multiple trophies. Lambert and Valakari both appealing and I am sure a few others that we haven't even considered.  Stevie H also can't be discounted especially if we win on Saturday and there are more positive signs... COYW 

15 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Lambert is interesting and has managed at a high level, but does that make him a good fit at our level?

He makes Kenny Dalglish seem effervescent but in terms of experience and success he's probably as good as we get.  The downside is he failed at Livingston (albeit his first job I think) and is used to operating at a much higher level.  Also all through his career he's tended to walk away from clubs.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Very few if any on that list that inspire confidence, I reckon we will end up with the cheap in-house option and see Hammell getting the job. 

If it happens and bookies are seldom wrong he might turn out to be a great appointment  but for me it's a huge risk I don't think it's the job for a 1st time manager with limited Coaching experience.

But only speculation at this point so let's wait and see.

I realise that this is yet another piece of speculation and I'm not putting this forward as my choice nor can I claim that it's true, but I have heard from a couple of folk who claim links with the club that it'll be O'Dea as manager with Steven McManus as his assistant.

I wouldn't take any rumors seriously at this point. The timeline that the club mentioned makes sense to me, and at this point they'll be assessing the applications they have, and have probably sounded out the people they wanted to. Over the next week or so they'll speak to the shortlisted ones in depth then make a decision. Maybe that speeds up if someone blows them away, but I'd be surprised if that was O'dea.

17 minutes ago, Wishielad said:

I realise that this is yet another piece of speculation and I'm not putting this forward as my choice nor can I claim that it's true, but I have heard from a couple of folk who claim links with the club that it'll be O'Dea as manager with Steven McManus as his assistant.

That doesn't inspire me but at end of the day whoever gets the job needs the fans to get behind them and give them a chance

• Like 2

Hearing a lot of talk about Lambert being a great choice. Not quite sure what that's based on to be honest. 

At one point with Ipswich he had won 2 games from 25, and the reaction of the fans when he was sacked was of the type of jubilation that makes Motherwell fans reaction to Alexander going look like nothing.

In short, his style was turgid, he was actually arrogant and abrasive with media and even fans, showing indifference to the idea of him being sacked for terrible form. When asked if he fears for his job by a reporter he said:

"As I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, if Marcus (the owner) came to me today or tomorrow and said whatever... nae problem, I can’t do nothing about that, I can’t influence that."

Some of our fans believe that Alexander fell out with O'Donnell and lost the dressing room? Lambert absolutely did fall out with Ipswich's players. He was sending guys to train with the under-23's, and when reporters were asking him who he was talking about when he was slagging players off in the media, he responded like...

Basically, he would be a terrible choice. 

A great player, but a manager who's way past his best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really don't want Hammell to get the job however I be open to him being  assistant good link between the fans and the club.

I am so uninspired by every name mentioned lol its like every name just doesnt get me excited at all.

Start of the season has been the most bizarre it's so all over the place.

It shouldn’t be Hammell as he has zero experience just now, however I’d be more than happy to see him get some sort of role as part of the new management team.

As I said last week, my choice would be Ian McCall.

52 minutes ago, David said:

Hearing a lot of talk about Lambert being a great choice. Not quite sure what that's based on to be honest. 

At one point with Ipswich he had won 2 games from 25, and the reaction of the fans when he was sacked was of the type of jubilation that makes Motherwell fans reaction to Alexander going look like nothing.

As someone who worked in Ipswich for a few years and went to watch them regularly, I have followed their plight over the years.

It's pretty safe to say their demise was well in place long before Lambert was involved - started around the Roy Keane days and went downhill from there. Basically, when Marcus Evans was the owner.

I have no idea how good Lambert would be now, but I wouldn't judge him on his record at Portman Road.

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

As someone who worked in Ipswich for a few years and went to watch them regularly, I have followed their plight over the years.

It's pretty safe to say their demise was well in place long before Lambert was involved - started around the Roy Keane days and went downhill from there. Basically, when Marcus Evans was the owner.

I have no idea how good Lambert would be now, but I wouldn't judge him on his record at Portman Road.

I also watched them regularly, having lived there for a bit. Sure, the situation at Ipswich wasn't great, but his style of football was rank. As you'll no doubt know, the fanbase there is fairly passive, so to see them react to him in the manner they did was a bit of an eye-opener. 

Basically, Lambert was many of the things our support didn't like about Alexander. Which is why I think he'd be a terrible choice.

5 hours ago, David said:

I also watched them regularly, having lived there for a bit. Sure, the situation at Ipswich wasn't great, but his style of football was rank. As you'll no doubt know, the fanbase there is fairly passive, so to see them react to him in the manner they did was a bit of an eye-opener. 

Basically, Lambert was many of the things our support didn't like about Alexander. Which is why I think he'd be a terrible choice.

I tend to agree. I would like a Manager that would be happy and grateful to get the Motherwell  job. Even as a stepping stone. 

Already you can sense by his comments that he considers himself above the role to even bother applying.  Not an encouraging sign imho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I tend to agree. I would like a Manager that would be happy and grateful to get the Motherwell  job. Even as a stepping stone. 

Already you can sense by his comments that he considers himself above the role to even bother applying.  Not an encouraging sign imho.

Dick Campbell :danced:

Im in a minority of one. I couldn't care less who we get because no fans myself included are in anyway qualified to determine whether someone will be good bad or indifferent managing Motherwell. There are no guarantees no matter who they are. We will get who we will get and those in charge of the club are paid to do the necessary due diligence.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im in a minority of one. I couldn't care less who we get because no fans myself included are in anyway qualified to determine whether someone will be good bad or indifferent managing Motherwell. There are no guarantees no matter who they are. We will get who we will get and those in charge of the club are paid to do the necessary due diligence.

I wouldn’t trust them to do the necessary due diligence on a lucky bag! :lol:

15 hours ago, David said:

I have several Ipswich fan friends and you’re on the money.

Yes, weeyin is also correct, the club has been in decline before and after Lambert but it’s fair to say that Lambert got access to more resources than his long term predecessor (the much maligned Mick McCarthy) who worked minor miracles to keep them a mid table Championship club.

In short, Lambert is still living off of his Norwich days where quite frankly, he  was fortunate to have what he had at the club. Motherwell’s player budget is a fraction of what he would have had to get out of League 1 and the squad he inherited would romp our league outwith the top 2.

in short … if you think Alexander was a bad move, Lambert would have burning effigies outside the main stand by next summer.

• Like 1

I think a good chance that the board might go get someone that has ties to the club just to build bridges with the fans  with Hammell as a number two.I wouldn't want Lambert comes across pretty arrogant has that Strachan every press conference has to be like a 10 min set at the Fringe.

I am starting to think lets just give it to someone young with fresh ideas still got a whole season ahead of us, points on the board lets just do something different.

Pepe was managing Barca at 37ish i think albeit one of best sides in world football with one of the best players ever but why not go for a Kevin Thompson someone along those lines rather him than a Lambert type doesn't matter how old you are if you are good enough you are good enough worth a wee punt.

Not sure if its just me, but Im not sure what it is about Kevin Thomsons managerial record that makes folk think that he is a future managerial success story? I think the jury is still very much out on that one and, if he hadnt played for one of the big 2, the media wouldnt push him anywhere near as much as they are doing right now.

PS thats not a dig at you Spit it Out, but I he does seem to be flavour of the month right now in the media when jobs come up.

18 hours ago, David said:

In short, his style was turgid, he was actually arrogant and abrasive with media and even fans, showing indifference to the idea of him being sacked for terrible form. When asked if he fears for his job by a reporter he said:

"As I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, if Marcus (the owner) came to me today or tomorrow and said whatever... nae problem, I can’t do nothing about that, I can’t influence that."

Some of our fans believe that Alexander fell out with O'Donnell and lost the dressing room? Lambert absolutely did fall out with Ipswich's players. He was sending guys to train with the under-23's, and when reporters were asking him who he was talking about when he was slagging players off in the media, he responded like...

Basically, he would be a terrible choice. 

A great player, but a manager who's way past his best. 

Wow! Thats a total car crash.

No thanks.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell