Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Again, it is not the fact Alexander dropped O'Donnell to the bench. That was justified in most folks eyes but perplexing when others were just as poor but retained their place regardless. So let's get that straight.

I have no axe to grind here. I like O’ Donnell as a player and he seems like a decent guy. I was very proud of his achievements in the Euro’s and would love to see him regain his form. I am not protecting GA either. The Sligo result is one of the poorest in the clubs history and he had to go. 

I would say though that it is splitting hairs to argue that the issue is not that he was dropped to the bench but that he was not reinstated. Mugabi’s confidence was clearly affected by the Hibs sending off. Up until that point I don’t think anybody would have argued with Mugabi’s inclusion. If he continued to show well in training is it not possible that GA stuck with him so as not too shatter his confidence completely? Maybe, maybe not.

The point is that we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Shoehorning conclusions into a situation because it suits a particular rhetoric is all well and good but it does not make it fact. The other point I was making is that as a group Motherwell fans should be the very last people to criticise when it comes to poor treatment and a lack of backing for Stephen O Donnell.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

As one who supported GA longer than most on here, I find it perplexing that given the information that is leaking out now, that people continue to defend him. People need to pay attention to the nuance of the language being used. Its clear to me from the things that Steven Hammell has said and now SOD, that things behind the scenes were far from perfect and that players and staff alike werent happy with what was going on. Usually these things remain unsaid even once the manager has gone. The fact that they are not speaks volumes to me. 

I have no problem with agreeing that SODs performances for us were poor and that he could have no arguments about being dropped. But it did mystify me when I watched him play for Scotland. Particularly at Wembley when he was outstanding.

Of course we dont know what really happened behind the scenes, but with Slattery disappearing for months, SOD being benched, so many players seemingly low on confidence and now comments from Hammy and SOD in the press, it appears that the working environment created by GA was part of the problem.

Very similar in many ways to Jim Gannons time . 

we have a long term reputation for being a great club to be around , treat people from the tea lady to the ceo well. Former players speak fondly .

one watch out is during his time he lost a fair amount of backroom staff .  I hope we still have plenty of good folk around to help us move forward . 

equally i hope we announce the new manager tomorrow. The longer this goes on , the longer without signings all that’s happening is fans are arguing with one another as we’re lost at sea and need to get on with building the future 

I've no wish to get involved in the convoluted rights ands wrongs of the O'Donnell/Alexander saga, but here's a slightly different take on the issue.

SOD seems a decent and sensible sort of guy to me, although I've never met him. However I think some of comments were "inadvisable" shall we say. We all agree that we need to bring fresh faces in to strengthen the team. Very few will argue about that. However, he should not have said that publicly. That will do little for squad unity. Some of his playing colleagues might think "Is it the strikeforce/defence he's referring to. Is he having a dig at me in the press?" What will that do for their confidence?

In his position as a senior player, he'd have been better to omit that particular comment.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've no wish to get involved in the convoluted rights ands wrongs of the O'Donnell/Alexander saga, but here's a slightly different take on the issue.

SOD seems a decent and sensible sort of guy to me, although I've never met him. However I think some of comments were "inadvisable" shall we say. We all agree that we need to bring fresh faces in to strengthen the team. Very few will argue about that. However, he should not have said that publicly. That will do little for squad unity. Some of his playing colleagues might think "Is it the strikeforce/defence he's referring to. Is he having a dig at me in the press?" What will that do for their confidence?

In his position as a senior player, he'd have been better to omit that particular comment.  

Thats fair comment.

The manager has gone and was fair game.

Current playing squad are not.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Why would Mackay or McInnes leave their current positions to come to us?

Kilmarnock are a similar size of club as us with a similar size of support but a wealthy benefactor supporting their attempts to become fan owned.

Ross County could be argued to be a smaller club and living outwith their means, but they too have a wealthy benefactor who shows no sign of stopping any time soon and has backed Mackay to the hilt.

They would be mad to jump ship in the hope that they could sort us out. Its not like we would be paying them any more money  or that we have any greater potential.

Agree wi u on that,why those 2,there must b equally capable managers in the unemployed list without having t pay some sort of compensation t release the 2 mentioned from there contracts, money that would surely b better spent on player budget

22 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Agree wi u on that,why those 2,there must b equally capable managers in the unemployed list without having t pay some sort of compensation t release the 2 mentioned from there contracts, money that would surely b better spent on player budget

Even if we could afford it, why would they come? 

They would he off their heads......

I'm another one of those happy clappers that defended Alexander for far too long. However, it became clear over the summer with the lack of signings for positions of need, lack of preparation for Europe, lack of fitness etc etc etc, and now what O'Donnell and Hammell have been saying, that Alexander has been completely unprofessional. Feels like he'd been working his ticket and he's got the outcome he wanted. "Mutual consent". Jesus. Even if he had stayed we were gonna be on the back foot and playing catch up continuously with regards to fitness and signings. The new guy, whoever it is, is on hiding to nothing now and we are in a right sticky wicket. Hopefully the fans can show some understanding (ha ha ha) and show some patience as I reckon the required major surgery won't be happening until Jan. And we all know that only pishy scraps are available then.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Sure Stevie Hammell has said much the same so why pick on O’Donnell?

It’s now becoming obvious that all has not been well on the playing side for quite some time so all we can hope is that whoever gets the manager’s gig can re-unite the players and get the fans back on side again.

50 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Sure Stevie Hammell has said much the same so why pick on O’Donnell?

It’s now becoming obvious that all has not been well on the playing side for quite some time so all we can hope is that whoever gets the manager’s gig can re-unite the players and get the fans back on side again.

In that case, Stevie's specific comment about that was also inadvisable.  That might not have endeared him to certain players. Yes, there are indications that all might not have been well in the dressing room. We may be putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 though.

27 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

It’s not one or the other. 
Both Alexander and O’Donnell can get tae. 

Well that was short but not so sweet.

In case you missed the Pony Express, Alexander has gone and if I was Stephen O’Donnell I’d be on the lookout for another club because judging by some of the comments on this forum it’s becoming clear that some of our fans want him gone too!

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

In that case, Stevie's specific comment about that was also inadvisable.  That might not have endeared him to certain players. Yes, there are indications that all might not have been well in the dressing room. We may be putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 though.

Sorry if it came across that I was having a pop at you.  Far from it. I agree that comments from both parties may have been inadvisable. However in both cases, I sense a great deal of frustration.  O’Donnell perhaps because of the way he was treated by the previous manager and that he couldn’t get a game in what is the the worst first team squad I can ever remember seeing at FP and Stevie Hammell because he’s shocked at the state of said first team squad.

Past experience shows that teams that get off to a poor start in this league rarely if ever recover and end up playing their football under pressure all season resulting in relegation at worst and the play-off place at best.  So for me, I think it’s an unavoidable truth that if we are to stay in the top flight this season we need to identify and play the best players in our squad, few as they maybe, and take steps to get a few others in to to augment these.

58 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Well that was short but not so sweet.

In case you missed the Pony Express, Alexander has gone and if I was Stephen O’Donnell I’d be on the lookout for another club because judging by some of the comments on this forum it’s becoming clear that some of our fans want him gone too!

Some of the fans have wanted him gone for a long time, he took some amount of abuse even when he was playing week in week out.

The Alexander/ O'Donnell debate has ran it course now.  Regarding SOD I don't quite get a lot of the views but each to their own, definitely had a poor spell last season but I feel with right manager could flourish. As with all clubs you have players that take criticism and others can do no wrong, just my view but I feel that with Van Veen, yes scored lots of goals last season but also done plenty wrong and very selfish and lazy at times, but that is why he is with us and not at a higher level, but at same time when in the mood he is a huge asset.  It's all part of being a well fan.  COYW. PS. well that was full speech without one joke.......... Knock Knock...(who's there)........lol

17 hours ago, El Grew said:

Dictionary definition of ostracise: To avoid someone intentionally or to prevent someone from taking part in the activities of a group.

Pretty much think that covers O’Donnell’s treatment.

not my definition or understanding  of ostracise . anyway  hopefully new mgr in soon, give posters something else to talk about and sod the chance to prove to me and others he can play....

.i can remember Robinson criticising him too after the euro game in Israel but that wasnt seen as an issue

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

The Alexander/ O'Donnell debate has ran it course now.  Regarding SOD I don't quite get a lot of the views but each to their own, definitely had a poor spell last season but I feel with right manager could flourish. As with all clubs you have players that take criticism and others can do no wrong, just my view but I feel that with Van Veen, yes scored lots of goals last season but also done plenty wrong and very selfish and lazy at times, but that is why he is with us and not at a higher level, but at same time when in the mood he is a huge asset.  It's all part of being a well fan.  COYW. PS. well that was full speech without one joke.......... Knock Knock...(who's there)........lol

too late, posted again before i read this.....lets come up with some names for new manager and get off the sod debate....ill go first....steven odonnell?

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Sorry if it came across that I was having a pop at you.  Far from it. I agree that comments from both parties may have been inadvisable. However in both cases, I sense a great deal of frustration.  O’Donnell perhaps because of the way he was treated by the previous manager and that he couldn’t get a game in what is the the worst first team squad I can ever remember seeing at FP and Stevie Hammell because he’s shocked at the state of said first team squad.

No problem. Yes, maybe both parties were frustrated - they are human after all and if that was a factor then its quite understandable.  Presumabaly a lot has been going on behind closed doors that we were not aware of.

SOD seems to get better with every post. He's been crap, no doubt. Sure he will live on that England game forever. Shame he was beaten so tamely in the air in the next game against Croatia. Let's not mention that.  Comparing him with the likes of Efford, Carroll etc etc is a mute point. All of the comparatives are not good enough either. This is why we are watching this guff.

Let's see in the fullness of time, how SOD performs. I'd rather be incorrect that right. So as I said before over to SOD.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell