Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

1 minute ago, twistandshout1983 said:

I definitely don’t hate the guy , I just wouldn’t want the baggage, but at the same time I could say the same about the likes of Barry Ferguson

The guy has a lot of people in this country who don’t like him for purely bigoted reasons that I never agree with , do remember Craig Brown saying he is a likeable guy and I know he has suffered from a lot of mental health issues in the past

Being honest now if he got us a half decent team to watch maybe all the past is forgotten,  and if he beats Rangers a few times so much the better , I don’t believe he is even interested in the job though and it is simply Craggs putting his name forward

I think you are right I still think it will be Valakari which I'm completely neutral about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Sadly true but still reckon hed do a job for us.

Initially I think he would too. He has a win at all cost mentality and that did well for him at Hibs as well but it couldn’t be sustained. He was threatening to walk out on Hibs for their lack of ambition for almost a year before he eventually left them. And Hibs are a bigger club than we are with a bigger budget. How long would he last at our “great wee club” before he began to get frustrated?

If Neil Lennon came in right now and had to work with this current squad he would be tearing his hair out within a month. And given that he’s not exactly a popular figure within our support - mostly because of his connections with Celtic and his abrasive manner and comments about us lying down to Rangers in 2011 - then some of the support would naturally voice their anger about it. That would inevitably invite the “he only gets abuse because of his religion, cos he’s Irish” nonsense from certain media figures and unfortunately some of our own support.

As I said, it’s just not worth it.

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Sadly true but still reckon hed do a job for us.

Did you see the dross he signed for Celtic in his last couple of years ? And that was dealing in the 'money end' of the market. Lennon has never had to manage a budget like ours. The smallest budget he's ever dealt with would have been Hibs and that dwarfs ours.

4 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Ps think Nick Daws needs to go to make this work properly.

Agreed. He touted using new recruitment models in his first interview in summer 2021, but what has he actually achieved other than being Alexander's pal? Let's look below.

2022/23

McGinn - Alexander signed him in an attempt to force out SOD; released by Hibs and easy to get
Spittal - Easy to get replacement for O'Hara; known in Scottish system
Morris - Alexander's former player and pals with KVV, so not down to Daws 

2021/22

Shields - Signed at the same time as Daws joined; a 3-year project, but not good enough
Goss - Decent
KVV - Alexander's former player, so not down to Daws 
Woolery - Average journeyman who they let go
Tierney - Promising
Nirrenold - Not good enough and released
O'Connor - Not good enough and released
Kelly - We had him on loan long before Daws was on the scene
Roberts  - On the scene before Daws but we let go
Sol - Crap
Efford - Crap
Ojala - Signed a Finnished pro
Slattery - Decent
Shaw - Wasted wage
Mahon - B team
Amaluzor - Crap
Parker - Crap

Summary

For every Slattery/Goss/KVV/Tierney, we've been dealt a volume of shite sandwiches. And some of the appointments wouldn't have required a Head of Recruitment either. We need a new managerial, academy, and recruitment model that works for our type of Club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Did you see the dross he signed for Celtic in his last couple of years ? And that was dealing in the 'money end' of the market. Lennon has never had to manage a budget like ours. The smallest budget he's ever dealt with would have been Hibs and that dwarfs ours.

Id still take a chance if he was available, anyone we get is a punt. 

Just now, Great Balls of Shire said:

would rather have danny lennon and i am not joking

Danny Lennon has said that Danny Lennon has not applied for the job but Danny Lennon would be happy to listen to any offers that came Danny Lennon's way.....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Id take the devil himself if he could manage and give us something better than the eye bleeding shite we've had to endure.

I heard the devil turned us down because the environment was too toxic for him.

• Haha 1

Just now, Great Balls of Shire said:

do you remember why the guy left hibs, no discipline, isnt the slightest bit interested in motherwell....he managed a team with a lot more money than anyone else , why would he do a job for us

Why would Valakari do a job for us , why would any of the names do a job for us. Remember folk falling over themselves with joy when we appointed GA. Said at the time I didnt rate GA and he did nothing to change that view. Truly the worst football I've ever watched. As I said every manager we get is a risk. I just happen to think Lennon would do a job for us. As someone has already said its not even a consideration just something throwing his name in but I remain in a position where it wouldn't upset me if he was in the frame.

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Why would Valakari do a job for us , why would any of the names do a job for us. Remember folk falling over themselves with joy when we appointed GA. Said at the time I didnt rate GA and he did nothing to change that view. Truly the worst football I've ever watched. As I said every manager we get is a risk. I just happen to think Lennon would do a job for us. As someone has already said its not even a consideration just something throwing his name in but I remain in a position where it wouldn't upset me if he was in the frame.

just not worth the hassle of someone like that, he would get restless and bored  pretty quickly , you dont need to like a manager , but the guy has had money before and he wouldnt have it now .....

i actually was happy to see ga get it before tom wright, i still think we got the best deal there...but his time has come and gone

On the hypothetical Lennon situation, he knows our club well enough, and the player pool we swim in, so if he was legitimately interested I doubt he'd be expecting a serious transfer kitty and to be challenging for the league. As such, I don't see any reason why he'd be interested in moving.

Lennon would be a great option for the club. I don’t think it is possible to successfully manage players like Scott Brown if you are a dud. 

If Craigan rates him and thinks he would be a coup for the club, I would go with that endorsement. I have not heard Craigan speak so positively about a manager since Jim Gannon. :)

Lennon gave Celtic some great European nights against bigger teams with better resources, eg Barcelona so he can motivate a team when they are underdogs.

1 minute ago, star sail said:

Lennon would be a great option for the club. I don’t think it is possible to successfully manage players like Scott Brown if you are a dud. 

If Craigan rates him and thinks he would be a coup for the club, I would go with that endorsement. I have not heard Craigan speak so positively about a manager since Jim Gannon. :)

Lennon gave Celtic some great European nights against bigger teams with better resources, eg Barcelona so he can motivate a team. 

Christ the Lord Almighty himself couldnt give us great European nights.  :)

• Haha 1

Brian Kerr talking about the B team's performance tonight - "we, as a club" want to see "attack minded, fast flowing football". 

Hopefully, that's coming from above too, though it'll be a miracle if the next guy can get that from the first team squad as it stands.

10 hours ago, star sail said:

Lennon gave Celtic some great European nights against bigger teams with better resources, eg Barcelona so he can motivate a team when they are underdogs.

"Managing" people involves all sort of skills , most of which he doesnt posess,if you thought ga was divisive , you would be in for a shock with yer man

i want someone who is going to be devoted to the job ....heard too much about lennon off the park and his other "interests"-- i think if the board do due diligence , he wouldnt even be considered

Just to balance things up, kevin thomson, how invested in the job , would he be? Guys can support one of the old firm , but dont need to be promoting them every 5 mins

Regarding Lennon, he had success with Celtic, but the odds were largely stacked in his favour.
Latterly, he managed to scupper what would have been unrepeatable and Celtic's greatest achievement, although to be fair - Rangers went unbeaten that season.
Bolton and Hibs didn't seem to go too well, again though, Bolton seemed to be a shit-show off the field.

When he's on it he's a good manager, but a bit of a risk as you don't know what Lennon would turn up.
Would also result in an absolute media circus which we'd all get tired of very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

I very much doubt that Neil Lennon is anywhere near being a candidate but thats by the way.

Another, more plausible, name I've seen mentioned is Malky Mackay.  Any views?

I would take big Malky no probs, good record down south and doing a very good job at Ross County 

I’d take MacKay but there is not a chance in hell that we would pay compensation to Ross County to get him. Our next manager will be someone either currently out of work or Hammell/Kerr.

Unless of course Burrows decides to appoint himself which I genuinely can see happening one day. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would take big Malky no probs, good record down south and doing a very good job at Ross County 

Alexander has a better record than 'big Malky' in the Premiership.

He won 2 out his first 15 league matches and has only won 1 out the last ten.  He's spent 26 out of 40 weeks in the bottom 3 places in the league.

6 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’d take MacKay but there is not a chance in hell that we would pay compensation to Ross County to get him. Our next manager will be someone either currently out of work or Hammell/Kerr.

Unless of course Burrows decides to appoint himself which I genuinely can see happening one day. 

Said that just the other day. Compensation t release a manager from a contract could b better used on player budget,paul Lambert,john collins,alan stubbs,kevin thomson, all names of note that ive seen on these threads,any of which would do just fine by me,loads more im sure we've not discussed yet

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell