Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

40 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Looking somewhat unlikely we will have a new man in for Aberdeen.

One last chance for Hammell to make the changes he allegedly wants to make, but I imagine it’ll be a 4-3-3 hoofball replica of Alexander with the same players again.

If Hammy gets the Aberdeen game and, considering it is a free hit for him, he doesn't deviate from the failed 4-3-3 to try a 3-5-2 or 4-3-2-1 or otherwise, he may as well withdraw his name from the hat at kick-off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wellfan said:

If Hammy gets the Aberdeen game and, considering it is a free hit for him, he doesn't deviate from the failed 4-3-3 to try a 3-5-2 or 4-3-2-1 or otherwise, he may as well withdraw his name from the hat at kick-off. 

Unbelievable that people cant see wots on the park in front of them 2 games hammy has had,and twice he has altered from GA rigid 433

4 minutes ago, star sail said:

What are your objections? I understand that he can be an abrasive character but if he had the skill set to turn the team around and bring a bit of excitement football back to Firpark, would that not be a good thing?

My worry in these situations is that an ex Celtic man would be less palatable to small sections of our support than say a Terry Butcher ( a man that was also fairly abrasive in his time) or a Stuart McCall.

I always defend the club to Celtic fans in particular who make the claim that we are a mini Rangers. Our support is generally mixed and it is a source of pride to me that we don’t carry the religious baggage of either of the OF teams. Appointing a polarising character like Lennon would underline all the more that we are a club that is not shackled by religious and political prejudice. 

It is not a reason to appoint him but I don’t think his football history should be a reason not to.

I used to live in the Borders and became acquainted with Hamish Deans when he was associated with the club. I used to drive him up to matches in return for a decent seat and a nosebag at Fir Park. I remember the first time I did so - it was at home to Aberdeen - and I was wearing a green tie. I had been with Hamish and some other directors for less than 5 minutes when I was "half-jokingly" told (not by Hamish but someone whom I won't name) that a green tie was not appropriate for Motherwell and was given a club tie and asked to remove the green one. I responded with as much light-heartedness as I could muster that having attended matches since 1964, the colour of my tie had no impact on my capacity to support Motherwell, and that I'd be going to Fir Park long after the Board had moved on. So, I get Star Sail's point, I have the same debates with Celtic-minded friends and my Rangers-supporting mates can't understand why I support all Scottish clubs (even the hateful Jambos) in European competition.

Just now, spudmfc said:

Unbelievable that people cant see wots on the park in front of them 2 games hammy has had,and twice he has altered from GA rigid 433

I didn't say he didn't change tactics for St Mirren or St Johnstone games, but we did start with the same basic 4-3-3 for both. I was implying that he needs to keep it up and not revert to 4-3-3 Alexanderball at any time. Even with the limited squad, which he has acknowledged, keeping up the less rigid approach to the 4-3-3 with tactical changes demonstrates that he does have an idea of what is required to fix things and, importantly, is not afraid to change it up in the face of an interview. 

9 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I didn't say he didn't change tactics for St Mirren or St Johnstone games, but we did start with the same basic 4-3-3 for both. I was implying that he needs to keep it up and not revert to 4-3-3 Alexanderball at any time. Even with the limited squad, which he has acknowledged, keeping up the less rigid approach to the 4-3-3 with tactical changes demonstrates that he does have an idea of what is required to fix things and, importantly, is not afraid to change it up in the face of an interview. 

Ok,we'll say it was a more flexible 433 if u want..he had maguire holding in both games which didnt work he pushed goss inside n thats the best ive seen him play for us n he also played wingbacks,SOD was never that far up the park under GA

On 9/26/2012 at 9:06 PM, postiejim said:

I won't now be back at firpark untill that Rangers bastard McCall is gone.Oh aye and that Airdrie bastard Black as well.

On 11/3/2014 at 7:45 PM, mio said:

Nice statement from McCall, was never a huge fan, probably due to my dislike of all things Rangers but he's done an undoubted good job with us.

And this is the same posters view on Barry Ferguson and Bob Malcolm.

On 7/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, mio said:

Eh….. naw!! What a horrible thought.

i wouldn’t want either of them near fir park watching a game never mind managing the club. 

37 minutes ago, star sail said:

My worry in these situations is that an ex Celtic man would be less palatable to small sections of our support than say a Terry Butcher ( a man that was also fairly abrasive in his time) or a Stuart McCall.

There were plenty in our support who had a problem with McCall simply because of his Rangers connections and the posts I quoted above are just a tiny example of that. Likewise the suggestion of Barry Ferguson getting the job now.

I remember McCall’s first match in charge for us, New Douglas Park on New Years Day 2011. The game hadn’t even kicked off and the guy in front of me was being fairly vocal to his mate how he wasn’t best pleased to have “this (banned word beginning with H) bastard in charge now”.

We’ve tended to do quite well with ex-Rangers players as our manager. McCall for all his faults did okay with us, as did Butcher and of course Tommy McLean got us promoted and won the Scottish Cup for us. Yet I can recall all three of them getting abuse in the stands at Fir Park because of their Rangers connection so it goes both ways.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

What are your objections? I understand that he can be an abrasive character but if he had the skill set to turn the team around and bring a bit of excitement football back to Firpark, would that not be a good thing?
 I always defend the club to Celtic fans in particular who make the claim that we are a mini Rangers. Our support is generally mixed and it is a source of pride to me that we don’t carry the religious baggage of either of the OF teams. Appointing a polarising character like Lennon would underline all the more that we are a club that is not shackled by religious and political prejudice. 
It is not a reason to appoint him but I don’t think his football history should be a reason not to.

My objection is nothing to do with his links to Celtic. I think he’s a terrible manager. He took over a Celtic side build by Brendan Rodgers that was so strong and he systematically broke it to pieces over a couple of seasons. The gap between the side he inherited and the Rangers side of that time was massive, they could have won 15+ in a row. He dismantled them. His signings (other than Turnbull) were atrocious (Barkas, Ajeti, Duffy, Klimala, Bolingoli etc.). He also completely poisoned the dressing room and eroded the significant credibility he’d build up with their fans. Finally, the guy had a full on breakdown when he left Celtic, he’s unstable and he presents himself in such a wild, aggressive, out of control manner.

I honestly think he’s the worst possible candidate for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

Finally, the guy had a full on breakdown when he left Celtic, he’s unstable and he presents himself in such a wild, aggressive, out of control manner.

What a feckin ridiculous comment to make on someone's mental health issues, so now he's wild, aggressive, unstable and out of control ffs. 

Supporting Mental health issues  is something Motherwell as a club are very strong on and something our fans should be proud of irrespective of who it is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

What a feckin ridiculous comment to make on someone's mental health issues, so now he's wild, aggressive, unstable and out of control ffs. 

Supporting Mental health issues  is something Motherwell as a club are very strong on and something our fans should be proud of irrespective of who it is.

Agree totally mate

How is that a ridiculous comment. I didn’t make light of his issues, I didn’t joke. I’m serious he had some kind of breakdown. I don’t think it is wrong to say that we should be concerned about appointing a man who has struggled with pressure into the highest pressure role at our club.

11 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

My objection is nothing to do with his links to Celtic. I think he’s a terrible manager. He took over a Celtic side build by Brendan Rodgers that was so strong and he systematically broke it to pieces over a couple of seasons. The gap between the side he inherited and the Rangers side of that time was massive, they could have won 15+ in a row. He dismantled them. His signings (other than Turnbull) were atrocious (Barkas, Ajeti, Duffy, Klimala, Bolingoli etc.). He also completely poisoned the dressing room and eroded the significant credibility he’d build up with their fans. Finally, the guy had a full on breakdown when he left Celtic, he’s unstable and he presents himself in such a wild, aggressive, out of control manner.

You have mentioned nothing of a very successful first spell.

I think as a person he has his demons.  He has talked about battles with depression and he did indeed have a hard time after his second spell at Celtic. 

The board of Motherwell would have to decide which version of Neil Lennon we would be getting. On form and in a good mental frame of mind he would be a coup for our club. I suppose there is always the possibility of a man that could self implode but this is life. 

I don’t doubt that there would be an element of risk attached. All the names mentioned have risk attached for different reasons. If we were to accept that Neil Lennon was the biggest risk, he may also produce the biggest reward. 

I must be as bigoted as the next man however because the mere suggestion of a Barry Ferguson/ Bob Malcolm dream team made me want to be sick!

For what it is worth I am tending towards Simo Valakari. A young manager with a love for the club that has proved himself in Finland. That he has no association with Rangers or Celtic also does have it’s merits.

With Neil Lennon it would never be boring good or bad. Not long before we will know.

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well said.

He seemed to be hated by pretty much fans of every club but lennon never really bothered me anytime he played or managed against us,he was actually quite complimentary at times about us,maybe that was down to him having an association with the club in his younger days.he would be mad to want to come and manage in scotland again and put himself in the firing line of all the shit that would come his way,even managing a club like ours there would be no escaping it.

You have mentioned nothing of a very successful first spell.
I think as a person he has his demons.  He has talked about battles with depression and he did indeed have a hard time after his second spell at Celtic. 
The board of Motherwell would have to decide which version of Neil Lennon we would be getting. On form and in a good mental frame of mind he would be a coup for our club. I suppose there is always the possibility of a man that could self implode but this is life. 
I don’t doubt that there would be an element of risk attached. All the names mentioned have risk attached for different reasons. If we were to accept that Neil Lennon was the biggest risk, he may also produce the biggest reward. 
I must be as bigoted as the next man however because the mere suggestion of a Barry Ferguson/ Bob Malcolm dream team made me want to be sick!
For what it is worth I am tending towards Simo Valakari. A young manager with a love for the club that has proved himself in Finland. That he has no association with Rangers or Celtic also does have it’s merits.
With Neil Lennon it would never be boring good or bad. Not long before we will know.

I accept that but that spell ended in 2014, since then he’s been sacked by Bolton, sacked in strange circumstances by Hibs and sacked by Celtic following a disastrous year.

I’m really frustrated that my comments are being taken to be prejudiced against mental health issues. All I’m saying is that mentality is an important characteristic for a football manager and the fact that Lennon has had issues at Hibs and Celtic should be a concern.

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

Ok,we'll say it was a more flexible 433 if u want..he had maguire holding in both games which didnt work he pushed goss inside n thats the best ive seen him play for us n he also played wingbacks,SOD was never that far up the park under GA

I agree on Goss for the St Jonhstone game. He was excellent once pushed inside and dictated play from the middle. On wingbacks, I would prefer a solid back 3 of McGinn - new CB - Lamie, with 2 wingbacks of SOD and new LB. This is the approach I think would suit this squad. 

Whatever anyone thinks of him, Neil Lennon will not be our new manager. He’s a club just now and as I said earlier we are not going to pay compensation to get a manager to move here. And that’s before you take into account the salary Lennon would demand and that he would be wanting assurances on player budget, something that caused issues for him at Hibs I believe.

It’s not going to happen.

11 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

I accept that but that spell ended in 2014, since then he’s been sacked by Bolton, sacked in strange circumstances by Hibs and sacked by Celtic following a disastrous year.

I’m really frustrated that my comments are being taken to be prejudiced against mental health issues. All I’m saying is that mentality is an important characteristic for a football manager and the fact that Lennon has had issues at Hibs and Celtic should be a concern.

Fair enough. I am sure that you don’t have a prejudice against mental health issues and you have said that you have no problem with his Celtic connection. It is a bold statement to make to write to the club in protest about a potential manager so I think that more than anything was what maybe caused some misunderstanding.

I remembered Leeann Dempster saying that she very much regretted the circumstances surrounding his leaving Hibs. I got the feeling that it was an admission that it was not all Lennon’s fault but I know little to nothing about it. 

Bolton were a shambles of a club financially and were very poorly run so again I am not sure if it a true reflection of his management abilities.

He may not even be in the running so let’s not waste any more of a sunny Scottish afternoon arguing about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Hope you are not suggesting we are interviewing Maurice Ross! 

He meets the Simo criteria. Won leagues and cups as a manager overseas, currently under contract and would be a step up for him.

Just sayin'

Imagine emailing a football club to voice your displeasure at a rumour your read on the internet. 

I didn’t email the “football club” I emailed the Well Society, of which I am a member, to ask that they put forward my concerns to the club. That’s what the society is there for to support the club and give a voice to its fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell