Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

8 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

I didn’t email the “football club” I emailed the Well Society, of which I am a member, to ask that they put forward my concerns to the club. That’s what the society is there for to support the club and give a voice to its fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, you’re entitled to do so.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Actually quite pleased about that, maybe just a confidence thing but comes across as arrogant and fact he left kelty with no job lined up seemed to suggest he expected offers to flood in. 

4 hours ago, ColinAtherton said:

I’ve been a Motherwell supporter for 35 years. I’ve followed the club home and away for a long time.

If you're this Colin Atherton, then your 'Well credentials are in no doubt - although the same can't necessarily be said about your managerial judgement :wink:

image.thumb.png.effc2b9e1f2929e8653c207806051b0c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Hope you are not suggesting we are interviewing Maurice Ross! 

You've got me worried now. Please tell me you are having a laugh.

In a matter of months Ross managed to dismantle all the good work Craigen did with our youth/reserve/B team. Tactically clueless as shown against Hearts in the Reserve Cup Final which I had the misfortune to attend.  Several of our promising youngsters seemed to disappear under his reign. Liam Brown for one was outstanding under Craigen but deemed not required under Ross. What was once a source of great talent and income for Motherwell produced next to nothing in Ross's time. 

He does appear to have contacts at Motherwell so I am not surprised his name has been mentioned. He is  always held up by the usual BBC pundits as a star in the making and came to Motherwell highly touted. But for me he achieved little other than helping to warm up the first team pre game.

If he gets the job, I hope my fears are misplaced. But not for me. There is a reason he has not been trusted with a job beyond Scandinavian and Scottish lower tier clubs. As evidenced by his record at Cowdenbeath. His spell as assistant at Notts County did not end well either. His CV does not stack up  to the likes of Valakari and Lennon.

10 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Hearing the mid-contract interviewee is David Healy.

Apparently he believes that he has "never quite won the Linfield supporters over" and that online abuse is affecting his family. Let's hope if he is our number one target that he doesn't call Graham Alexander before making his choice!

19 minutes ago, dennyc said:

You've got me worried now. Please tell me you are having a laugh.

100% having a laugh. It was just the talk of Simo and his trophies in Finland that reminded of Maurice Ross talking about his winning trophies in Norway and the Faroes, but still needing success in Scotland to be taken seriously by the footballing community.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

100% having a laugh. It was just the talk of Simo and his trophies in Finland that reminded of Maurice Ross talking about his winning trophies in Norway and the Faroes, but still needing success in Scotland to be taken seriously by the footballing community.

Phew! I think his Norway and Faroes success was at about third division level. And he has not followed even that up at the Blue Brazil. But for some reason he is held up as a great coach. Never seems to stay anywhere for any great length of time. Then again many fall into that category.

I had heard Ross being mentioned before you came up with your tongue in cheek comment. But had dismissed it out of hand as nonsense.

4 hours ago, star sail said:

What are your objections? I understand that he can be an abrasive character but if he had the skill set to turn the team around and bring a bit of excitement football back to Firpark, would that not be a good thing?

My worry in these situations is that an ex Celtic man would be less palatable to small sections of our support than say a Terry Butcher ( a man that was also fairly abrasive in his time) or a Stuart McCall.

I always defend the club to Celtic fans in particular who make the claim that we are a mini Rangers. Our support is generally mixed and it is a source of pride to me that we don’t carry the religious baggage of either of the OF teams. Appointing a polarising character like Lennon would underline all the more that we are a club that is not shackled by religious and political prejudice. 

It is not a reason to appoint him but I don’t think his football history should be a reason not to.

if its down to football history, then dont appoint him...if its down to man management, dont appoint him

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

What a feckin ridiculous comment to make on someone's mental health issues, so now he's wild, aggressive, unstable and out of control ffs. 

Supporting Mental health issues  is something Motherwell as a club are very strong on and something our fans should be proud of irrespective of who it is.

3 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

image00004.jpeg

when you put it like that, maybe we should consider "him" , 

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:
3 hours ago, ColinAtherton said:

How is that a ridiculous comment. I didn’t make light of his issues, I didn’t joke. I’m serious he had some kind of breakdown. I don’t think it is wrong to say that we should be concerned about appointing a man who has struggled with pressure into the highest pressure role at our club.

i get what you are trying to say, think people are twisting it trying to be pc , youre right , from a duty of care , why would you put the guy under pressure , there was recent footage of him in cyprus giving the ref pelters.......as tam forsyth once said what we need is the 3 C'S , ..... cool calm heads

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The guy who's a regular co-commentator on Rangers TV and made constant sneering comments about Motherwell when we drew there.

4 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

And this is the same posters view on Barry Ferguson and Bob Malcolm.

There were plenty in our support who had a problem with McCall simply because of his Rangers connections and the posts I quoted above are just a tiny example of that. Likewise the suggestion of Barry Ferguson getting the job now.

I remember McCall’s first match in charge for us, New Douglas Park on New Years Day 2011. The game hadn’t even kicked off and the guy in front of me was being fairly vocal to his mate how he wasn’t best pleased to have “this (banned word beginning with H) bastard in charge now”.

We’ve tended to do quite well with ex-Rangers players as our manager. McCall for all his faults did okay with us, as did Butcher and of course Tommy McLean got us promoted and won the Scottish Cup for us. Yet I can recall all three of them getting abuse in the stands at Fir Park because of their Rangers connection so it goes both ways.

I seem to remember McCall as well taking pelters on a regular basis especially the season 13/14 when we were second in the league at the time

One thing I do remember from back then is how frustrated we would get as a fan base at getting knocked out the cups in the first game , despite finishing 3rd, 2nd, 2nd.  It was almost like a proper chance to win silverware when you looked at the teams who won stuff in those years 

His record against Rangers was dire , though I suppose he could get a result against Celtic, 3 wins and 2 draws 

Nowadays we don’t beat either of course 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinAtherton said:

I accept that but that spell ended in 2014, since then he’s been sacked by Bolton, sacked in strange circumstances by Hibs and sacked by Celtic following a disastrous year.

I’m really frustrated that my comments are being taken to be prejudiced against mental health issues. All I’m saying is that mentality is an important characteristic for a football manager and the fact that Lennon has had issues at Hibs and Celtic should be a concern.

There's a very big difference between having a positive mentality,  which is a good thing, and having mental health issues which should never be used a a criteria to determine someone's suitability for a job or anything else,and then further compounding the issue by stereotyping him as " aggressive,  wild, out of control etc" .

There's a very big difference between having a positive mentality,  which is a good thing, and having mental health issues which should never be used a a criteria to determine someone's suitability for a job or anything else,and then further compounding the issue by stereotyping him as " aggressive,  wild, out of control etc" .

It’s not a stereotype, I’d say that is a fair account of his behaviour over the last 10 years. I also disagree about it not being a consideration in terms of his suitability for the job. If a candidate has a track record of significantly poor performance when under pressure that is a legitimate reason to not appoint him. The second and more important factor is there is, as someone else mentioned earlier, a duty of care. I don’t think Neil should continue in management, I don’t think he can handle the pressure and seeing the videos of him in a bit of a mess after losing the job at Celtic was very concerning. He is clearly insistent upon remaining in management roles but it’s not the right thing for him or the clubs he’d work for. If a similar thing happened if he got our job the Club would be partly responsible for him suffering for putting him in that position.

15 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

It’s not a stereotype, I’d say that is a fair account of his behaviour over the last 10 years. I also disagree about it not being a consideration in terms of his suitability for the job. If a candidate has a track record of significantly poor performance when under pressure that is a legitimate reason to not appoint him. The second and more important factor is there is, as someone else mentioned earlier, a duty of care. I don’t think Neil should continue in management, I don’t think he can handle the pressure and seeing the videos of him in a bit of a mess after losing the job at Celtic was very concerning. He is clearly insistent upon remaining in management roles but it’s not the right thing for him or the clubs he’d work for. If a similar thing happened if he got our job the Club would be partly responsible for him suffering for putting him in that position.

well put colin, shame you have got to clarify things for people deliberately trying to twist things and be "right on" and pc....if he was a good "manager" , then who knows , might be worth a shout but hes not ....

At the end of the day I would like to see the best candidate who was available at the time appointed 

After the results in 2022 and the football we have watched at times I would be quite happy to see anyone take charge who will get fans happy to go back watching the team  and if results are not always the greatest then at least show a bit of fight and commitment 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell