Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

I don't know if the club is trying to appease us, the fans, with a complete change of managerial direction after GA  but I'm finding most of the names, who seem to be in the final frame, to be very risky.  Any managerial appointment carries a degree of risk of course, but some of the names mentioned would really seem to be a bit much of a gamble.   We don't know the names of the serious candidates amongst the 80 or so names who seemingly applied. For the first time in many years, I'm getting the fear about our new appointment. Maybe I'm just a risk averse kind of person. Perhaps the successful candidate will surprise us and allay our fears.

Good thing about Valakari is that the Finnish league concludes in just a few weeks, so could potentially keep Hammell on in the interim and avoid having to pay out compensation.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know if the club is trying to appease us, the fans, with a complete change of managerial direction after GA  but I'm finding most of the names, who seem to be in the final frame, to be very risky.  Any managerial appointment carries a degree of risk of course, but some of the names mentioned would really seem to be a bit much of a gamble.   We don't know the names of the serious candidates amongst the 80 or so names who seemingly applied. For the first time in many years, I'm getting the fear about our new appointment. Maybe I'm just a risk averse kind of person. Perhaps the successful candidate will surprise us and allay our fears.

I’m pretty much the same, at this point I’m reading nothing to get too excited about.

One of the most valuable things any new manager brings to us is knowledge of players. We don’t have the money to go out and pick up players that have already broken through, we need a manager that knows a Trevor Carson is sitting on a bench at Hartlepool or that Louis Moult is wasting away at Wrexham. Even GA brought that. He was appointed after our humiliation at New Douglas Park with that imposter Chapman. GA immediately brought in Liam Kelly, Tyler Magloire and a few others and turned it around for us.

I worry who Simo will know, we don’t need more Miko Kavens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get some people being underwhelmed by the names being mentioned but can't actually think of candidates that wouldn't underwhelm some of us.  There is no perfect candidate, not one likely to apply for our job anyway. Unless there's someone I'm missing..?

Healy and Valakari have both won trophies but are untested in our league. Hammell knows the league hut is inexperienced. Every candidate would have their own weaknesses...

For those underwhelmed by the names put forward, who realistically did youngope we would get?

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

My thoughts as well Dave, none of the names mentioned so far inspire confidence, and given the season has started whoever gets the job has to hit the ground running and get the squad playing very quickly. Another issue we have is that this deep into a transfer window by the time the new manager asseses the squad and decides what we need there will be no time to recruit successfully, so we may end up having to run with what we have till January. 

This is a very important decision for the club  so here's hoping they make he right one.

I get some people being underwhelmed by the names being mentioned but can't actually think of candidates that wouldn't underwhelm some of us.  There is no perfect candidate, not one likely to apply for our job anyway. Unless there's someone I'm missing..?
Healy and Valakari have both won trophies but are untested in our league. Hammell knows the league hut is inexperienced. Every candidate would have their own weaknesses...
For those underwhelmed by the names put forward, who realistically did youngope we would get?

I was really buzzing at the idea of Big Dunc. I think Lambert or Owen Coyle would have been good appointments. Simo would be a great story but none of us know whether the levels are similar. Other than that I can’t think of another candidate that would excite me.

21 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Good thing about Valakari is that the Finnish league concludes in just a few weeks, so could potentially keep Hammell on in the interim and avoid having to pay out compensation.

If that was case would Hammell be happy taking charge of a team for a job he didn't get? Again let's just see what happens 

3 minutes ago, ColinAtherton said:

I was really buzzing at the idea of Big Dunc. I think Lambert or Owen Coyle would have been good appointments. Simo would be a great story but none of us know whether the levels are similar. Other than that I can’t think of another candidate that would excite me.

Duncan Ferguson is untested. Coyle is managing at a lower level know, Lambert has failed at a couple of jobs. I'm not saying that I think they would be bad candidates but it shows you can find flaws in any name...

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I thought Mark McGhee was an exciting appointment first time round. A manager who had success in England and who was a fairly big name at the time.

His first six months were fairly sensational. I don’t think that can happen these days. The gulf in pay is so vast between the bigger names in England and the incentives that we could offer that I just could not see a  big name manager coming to us to either resurrect a career or see out there days for the love of the game.

Somebody mentioned Neil Warnock  somewhat jokingly before. That is the kind of name that would be exciting but it would never happen. 

I am not sure that Mark McGhee in his post Wolves days and Neil Warnock now equate but it does seem as if the days of big name managers have passed for teams like us.

28 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

For me not one of the same names that get bandied around time and again, we’re already seeing the negative comments towards most of them. But it’s not my, or anyones else’s job on here to make the next appointment, frankly we’re not qualified to make that decision.  The only contribution I will be making is to support whoever it is and have a bit of patience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, star sail said:

I am not sure that Mark McGhee in his post Wolves days and Neil Warnock now equate but it does seem as if the days of big name managers have passed for teams like us.

Two former Sunderland managers recently took jobs in the SPL having failed there. Malky Mackay managed in the English Premier League and is rebuilding his career. So there are managers lije that out there, Lambert the obvious one at the moment. But those appointments don't always work either...

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

For me not one of the same names that get bandied around time and again, we’re already seeing the negative comments towards most of them. But it’s not my, or anyones else’s job on here to make the next appointment, frankly we’re not qualified to make that decision.  The only contribution I will be making is to support whoever it is and have a bit of patience.

I get that as fans we're not qualified to make an appointment but to say the names mentioned are underwhelming suggests there are other realistic names that appeal more. I'm not convinced by Hammell, Valakari or Healy (if that's the final three) either but I can't say that I've heard any other names that have been better...

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Two former Sunderland managers recently took jobs in the SPL having failed there. Malky Mackay managed in the English Premier League and is rebuilding his career. So there are managers lije that out there, Lambert the obvious one at the moment. But those appointments don't always work either...

I would be excited by Lambert. I was surprised by the negativity when he was mentioned last week. The fact that he does not appear to be in the frame suggests that we could not afford wage demands.

I would also be excited by Neil Lennon. The chat on him has been fairly polarising today but he has managed at the top level in the game and would be a very interesting consideration. Again I don’t think we could afford his wages even if he was a good fit.

I would have been fairly excited by Malky MacKay and actually if it turns out to be Simo I will be reasonably excited by that too.

I guess I am just easily pleased.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, star sail said:

I would be excited by Lambert. I was surprised by the negativity when he was mentioned last week. The fact that he does not appear to be in the frame suggests that we could not afford wage demands.

I would also be excited by Neil Lennon. The chat on him has been fairly polarising today but he has managed at the top level in the game and would be a very interesting consideration. Again I don’t think we could afford his wages even if he was a good fit.

I would have been fairly excited by Malky MacKay and actually if it turns out to be Simo I will be reasonably excited by that too.

I would say realistic and positive. We could all do with a dose of that.

16 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I get that as fans we're not qualified to make an appointment but to say the names mentioned are underwhelming suggests there are other realistic names that appeal more. I'm not convinced by Hammell, Valakari or Healy (if that's the final three) either but I can't say that I've heard any other names that have been better...

Does it have to be a name that everyone knows though ?

3 minutes ago, star sail said:

Kind of similar to when we sign players, we're not going to get a proven manager at the peak of his powers so any appointment is a punt.  Unproven, a couple of poor spells as manager. And I accept that. I have issues with Lennon but the others you mention have their merits.

I have just seen some on here express concern and say they're underwhelmed by the apparent shortlist. I guess my question to them (not to you) is: what kind of names were they expecting?

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

none of the names mentioned so far inspire confidence, and given the season has started whoever gets the job has to hit the ground running and get the squad playing very quickly. Another issue we have is that this deep into a transfer window by the time the new manager asseses the squad and decides what we need there will be no time to recruit successfully, so we may end up having to run with what we have till January. 

This is a very important decision for the club  so here's hoping they make he right one.

Absolutely Allan.  I don't want to go down the Graham Alexander route of inflexible, dull football, but by the same token I'm wary of taking huge risks.  There has to be a degree of stability and solidity in the new man's background and approach. A knowledge of Scottish football either through the top man himself or his assistant(s) is absolutely essential. As you say, he has to hit the ground running.

Now I'm not saying that David Healy is one of the last men standing but he has signed the likes of Jake Hastie, Ben Hall, Mich'el Parker, and Christy Manzinga for Linfield (source Capt Oats, Pie & Bovril).........

Mark Fotheringham seems to have had a chequered career as a coach but litle or no management experience.

We might all be shocked of course if the 2 mystery candidates are personalities that haven't been discussed on here at all!

We've all got our own opinions and the reality might be somewhat different.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Not sure if that will be the case.  The currant bun has an article on this:

The owner of KuPS has warned Motherwell they will have to pay top dollar to land Simo Valakari. Owner, investment banker Ari Lahti who heads up Ice Capital, isn’t ready to let his gaffer go on the cheap. KuPS lead the Veikkausliiga with 10 games left and are in the semis of the Finnish Cup. Lahti said: “If a situation arose that Motherwell really wanted Simo then a pretty significant compensation would probably be required.  As far as I understand we are not in that situation yet and at this stage we are of course talking about a theoretical question. But winning the title is worth at least €1M euros to us. If we win the league championship we seriously bet on reaching the group stages of the Champions League next season. The champions' path to the group stage is significantly easier than others.”

Lahti’s firm finances the club from Kuopio and it’s believed they write off losses of six and seven figures every season.

6 hours ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Hearing the mid-contract interviewee is David Healy.

Most will already be aware of it, but Linfield are the Rangers of Northern Ireland.

Healy played for Rangers in 2011-12.  And wait for this; his first game was against us on 12th February 2011 and he scored the last goal in a 6–0 win and then on 2nd January 2012, he scored against us again with the first goal in a 3–0 win.

For those concerned about how an appointment of Neil Lennon might be “perceived” then an appointment of David Healy should raise similar concerns.

I honestly couldn’t care less who or what our manager is, but if these really are the options then I’d prefer it to be either Valakari or Hammell or a combination thereof.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell