Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

34 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I don't understand those advocating Malky Mackay for the job. Has his racism, homophobia and misogyny been forgotten already?

Forgotten? No. But most people have moved past it. 

He apologised, promised to do better, and most people have taken those promises at face value. isn't that what we're supposed to do? Otherwise, what's the point in him apologising? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Now I'm not saying that David Healy is one of the last men standing but he has signed the likes of Jake Hastie, Ben Hall, Mich'el Parker, and Christy Manzinga for Linfield (source Capt Oats, Pie & Bovril).........

And there is the proof, if needed, that he shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Now I'm not saying that David Healy is one of the last men standing but he has signed the likes of Jake Hastie, Ben Hall, Mich'el Parker, and Christy Manzinga for Linfield (source Capt Oats, Pie & Bovril).........

Mark Fotheringham seems to have had a chequered career as a coach but litle or no management experience.

We might all be shocked of course if the 2 mystery candidates are personalities that haven't been discussed on here

To be fair, Ben Hall was alright at one point.

I gather one of the mystery candidates has never been mentioned on here, entirely possible that applies to the other one as well...

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/20619410.motherwell-announce-new-manager-today-late-night-board-talks/

Motherwell to announce new manager today after late night board talks
1 hr ago

By Graeme McGarry
@Graeme_McGarry
Senior Sports Writer

Motherwell legend Steven Hammell has been in caretaker charge of the Fir Park club since Graham Alexander left by mutual consent.

MOTHERWELL will announce their new manager today after late night board discussions to whittle down their shortlist to replace Graham Alexander. 

Four men were interviewed for the vacant post this week, including current caretaker manager and head of the Motherwell Academy Steven Hammell, as well as former Fir Park midfielder Simo Valakari, currently the manager of Kuopion Palloseura in his native Finland.

No final decision had been made as of yesterday evening as chief executive Alan Burrows and the rest of the Motherwell board held talks to establish their preferred candidate, but Herald Sport understands that the club are optimistic they will be able to unveil their new manager today. 

Hammell has already taken charge of the win over St Mirren on the Premiership's opening weekend and the last-gasp defeat to St Johnstone on Saturday following Alexander's departure. Whoever is named as the new permanent manager though is expected to take his place in the dugout for Saturday's trip to face Aberdeen at Pittodrie. 

Hammell, the former Motherwell left-back who amassed 583 appearances as a player at Fir Park, has spoken previously of how much it would mean to him to manage the club where he spent the vast majority of his career. 

“I’m in a senior football position at the club and I’m grateful and privileged to be in the position I am just now," Hammell said. 

“If that’s to then progress to the first-team manager, then fantastic. If that’s what the club want and they feel it’s the best thing for the club, it’s something I am prepared to do.”

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

For those concerned about how an appointment of Neil Lennon might be “perceived” then an appointment of David Healy should raise similar concerns.

Youre basically saying that peoples concerns are to do with Lenno being  "Celtic minded", its not mine and i doubt its most people on here. I dont know anything about Healy , but having seen NL interaction with officials etc and thats without all the off field antics

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

My thoughts as well Dave, none of the names mentioned so far inspire confidence, and given the season has started whoever gets the job has to hit the ground running and get the squad playing very quickly. Another issue we have is that this deep into a transfer window by the time the new manager asseses the squad and decides what we need there will be no time to recruit successfully, so we may end up having to run with what we have till January. 

This is a very important decision for the club  so here's hoping they make he right one.

thats why i think hammy has to be either boss or assistant at the very least....due to the bad timing of all this, a new face doesnt have time to assess current team and then get replacements in , all in a matter of weeks

7 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

thats why i think hammy has to be either boss or assistant at the very least....due to the bad timing of all this, a new face doesnt have time to assess current team and then get replacements in , all in a matter of weeks

Need to get someone from the East Stand as the assistant if it's not Hammell who's manager. The East Stand can judge a player in 15 minutes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Wishielad said:

Drove past Fir Park, early this evening and believe I saw Leeann Dempster's car. Could it be Owen Coyle on shortlist. Hard to believe as his buddy Willie Haughey's bankrolling Queens Park, so they'll have more money than us. 

I suppose it is possible that she is helping the board with the final selection process. If they were making final decisions last night it would not be unreasonable to imagine that she was involved in that process, particularly if she maintains good relationships within the club. 

In recent times she worked with Neil Lennon at Hibs just to add some more baseless uneducated fuel to that fire. 

17 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Yep announced today. Now need to get right behind him and support the massive rebuild he has on his hands 

Would be easier to sort out brexit or the Ukraine crisis, there will be people on here having a meltdown telling folk how bad an appointment it is within 5 mins of it being announced, then another 2 min to get the Manager out thread started.:nod:

12 hours ago, ColinAtherton said:

One of the most valuable things any new manager brings to us is knowledge of players. We don’t have the money to go out and pick up players that have already broken through, we need a manager that knows a Trevor Carson is sitting on a bench at Hartlepool or that Louis Moult is wasting away at Wrexham. Even GA brought that. He was appointed after our humiliation at New Douglas Park with that imposter Chapman. GA immediately brought in Liam Kelly, Tyler Magloire and a few others and turned it around for us.

I worry who Simo will know, we don’t need more Miko Kavens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps he knows his son. Possibly too late for that one though.

15 minutes ago, star sail said:

I suppose it is possible that she is helping the board with the final selection process. If they were making final decisions last night it would not be unreasonable to imagine that she was involved in that process, particularly if she maintains good relationships within the club. 

In recent times she worked with Neil Lennon at Hibs just to add some more baseless uneducated fuel to that fire. 

I think that's more likely than it being her negotiating the release of Owen Coyle from Queens Park.

20 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Disgusted tbh

A bit strong but why would you feel that way? Given the timescales we are in, season started, transfer window closing etc Hammell knows the players and the problems we have got so he could be up to speed quickly. 

I would like to think that the recruitment team have identified possible targets so that moves could be made when the new manager is known.

Hammell would not have been my 1st choice for manager purely down to experience but if he gets the job I'll get behind him , it will be a challenge but that's the way you learn and get experience so fair play to him for putting his name forward.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A bit strong but why would you feel that way? Given the timescales we are in, season started, transfer window closing etc Hammell knows the players and the problems we have got so he could be up to speed quickly. 

I would like to think that the recruitment team have identified possible targets so that moves could be made when the new manager is known.

Hammell would not have been my 1st choice for manager purely down to experience but if he gets the job I'll get behind him , it will be a challenge but that's the way you learn and get experience so fair play to him for putting his name forward.

100 percent not my first choice either but will get behind him and the team i will also be going onto Ebay and Ali Express buying up every pair of Brown trousers i can get my hands on.

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I don’t see it as a bit strong & can understand the sentiment. I’ll wager it won’t be a minority thinking Premier league clubs who are going to be in the dogfight shouldn't be appointing boys club managers…

As for the recruitment team? Should’ve been emptied a week past Friday also.

Don’t think anybody’s mentioning not getting behind him, whoever it may be.

44 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Disgusted tbh

Each to there own but I said it earlier in thread that I would actually be delighted if Hammell was given the gig. Throughout our history we have hired much younger managers all of which have had varied degrees of success.  A massive emphasis will be put on youth as per and who will know the current group better than the Academy Director himself. Looking forward to seeing the announcement and however gets the job will have me full support, hopefully it'll be an exciting few weeks and we can all shift to a more positive outlook as its been a tough few weeks.

I will have the fear, but would not be disgusted,  if Hammy is appointed. On the plus side, he would know the squad and our problems from day one. He also talks a good game.  I'm not convinced though that he made much of a difference in our first 2 league games, but I don't hold that against him as he's only had a few days to work with the players.  On the debit side he lacks managerial experience and I wonder how extensive his contacts in the game are.

In terms of his role as Head of our Academy, I wonder how successful he has been been - is it too early to tell.   I'd think it takes a few years to be able to form an informed opinion i.e. to see what young players come though to make the first team. He's not been in post that long.  I'll qualify that by acknowldeging there are others on these boards who know a lot more about youth set up than I do.

In our current situation we need an experienced head to prepare us for a few months of streetfighting with our rivals, as OTF rightly says.  

Hammell will absolutely get my support. But having a knowledge of youth players and introducing them to the team doesn’t guarantee us a stay in the top flight next season. (Refer back to terry butcher’s days)  I guess nothing guarantees this but I’d be far more comfortable with an experienced manager at the helm.

38 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I don’t see it as a bit strong & can understand the sentiment. I’ll wager it won’t be a minority thinking Premier league clubs who are going to be in the dogfight shouldn't be appointing boys club managers…

As for the recruitment team? Should’ve been emptied a week past Friday also.

Don’t think anybody’s mentioning not getting behind him, whoever it may be.

dont see how we can have both with the candidates mentioned, anyone from outwith the scottish game wont have time to assess squad and get new faces in...if its hammy etc , they arent going to have the experience...the board and the new manager are already on a hiding to nothing with some posters

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell